It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should I get a gun?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
OP. I think you will be ready for gun ownership soon. The main thing to remember is to be responsible with it. If you have to shoot, shoot to kill. If you don't have to kill then there is probably another solution to your problem. If you have a gun you should always try to find a way to avoid any dangerous situations. Having a gun will not protect you in every situation. So having your wits about you is better. Smoking unfortunately will keep you from being as quick as you may need to be. Therefore, I would suggest you quit smoking and with the money you save buy a few guns, learn to use them responsibly, buy a safe to store them....

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
you have to see a gun as a tool, like a hammer you need to ask your self how many times am i going to shoot it..you dont go get it every time some one nocks on the door ,how do you handle your every day life befor you get a gun, your no safer with one..i have had gun to my head & they havent went off. i own lots of guns under drama i never use them if you shoot a intruder & he lives he can sue you while he is in jail ..dont buy one

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ExploitedAliens

No dude, you most definitely should get a flame-thrower and a rocket launcher. Blow the # out of those zombies!!

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
No matter how responsible you think you are you have to understand that the law and rights you want is a blanket that covers many. Like you and others, you have the ability and the habit of getting angry, frustrated, raged, depressed, drunk, stupid, cheated etc. Sometimes these emotions get the best of you. Do you want a gun near by?

Besides, people want to carry a gun for protection but what they dont understand is that people would feel scared and avoid any area if they knew that someone other than a cop was carrying. How can you tell who the lone nut is? Youre all nutty. None of you can really be trusted.

If I had a magic wand I would vanish all weapons, alcohol and greed.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   

You first have to ask yourself, "Why should I have a gun?".....

Some people use guns for sport, hunting, going to the range, self defence....You have to understand why you yourself want to make an investment in a very deadly tool.

After reading your OP, it seems to me that you want a firearm to defend you and your family.

Ok, first I'd like to say that I wouldn't have the heart or guts to kill anyone.

If you are indeed buying a firearm for defence reasons, you MUST be able to accept the fact that you MAY have to kill your attacker.

If you do purchase a firearm, make sure you know how to shoot it, and know how to be accurate. Not every firearm is the same. (They each handle differently. Grip, trigger pull, recoil, ect...), You have to get the weapon that fits your needs. Know how to clean it. Know your firearm safety. Know your state and federal laws. And most of all....know that you are responsible for your own firearm.
edit on 2-8-2012 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Ok, first I'd like to say that I wouldn't have the heart or guts to kill anyone.

Probably not.

I have a ton of guns, and a concealed pistol license. One of my greatest fears is having to shoot someone. Now that being said, a greater fear is not being able to protect myself, my loved ones or an innocent person.

It's an awful choice that I wouldn't wish on anybody. Taking someone's life has to be one of the hardest decisions I can imagine. It's not just that moment, but the years of living with it.

There is a book I read that sort of cemented my stance on using a gun for personal defense. It's called 'In The Gravest Extreme' by Massad Ayoob.

OP I think that you would be surprised by the heart and guts you would have defending someone you loved, yourself or some random person on the street. Figure it out though. Don't get a gun for the wrong reasons.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

You are correct sir the way this guy is talking frightens me he could own a gun you know maybe if he was more informed on the fact the gone should strictly be used for home/family kids/self etc and for practicing and learning the cautions of owning one and using one on somebody in self defense than maybe he might deserve to be a proud owner. But honestly OP ZOMBIES!?!?! Crazy drug atticts on bath salts please just leave it at that. Owning a firearm is a privilege as well as your right but just like any other privelage you should 1stdo learn and earn it 1st

A---T

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by theconspirator

I think you mean, "if," not when, because most people don't experience that kind of thing, lol.

"YAY I GOT A GUN NOW MY WIFE AND CHILD WILL NEVER GET RAPED!!!!"

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   

YES you should.
Now I will go back and read your OP.
I can think of many reasons to get one, there is a reason for every situation.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Go and get some training first at a gun range, take a few classes and go from there. If the biggest reason you want a gun is for "zombie defence" then you`ve got bigger problems than being unarmed. I would say no you dont need a gun until you have a knowledge base to go from other than video games. If you have a shred of doubt in your mind about pulling the trigger on someone then you will only get yourself killed against someone with no doubt. I think you only end up shooting something or someone by mistake and thats something you just are not ready for. No to guns go buy a big stick instead.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Its not hard if you know the other person is intending to harm you or a loved one, the cops will always try and make you feel like a criminal for taking the law into your own hands but what do they know? Dont think about it as they come at you, feel bad for them once they`re bleeding but the buzzards got to eat same as the worms.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by theconspirator

Nope. your mind is the first safety and the first weapon. People avoid more problems and stay safer by exercising situational awareness than by pulling their gun.

I carry daily. I am not anti-gun, but people that say their gun is more important than their brain for staying safe scare me. If you aren't using your brain and making the necessary calculations in life your gun is not going to save you.

Recognize the situation
Evaluate the situation
Avoid the situation
Deescalate the situation

Your brain should be working long before your gun.
edit on 2-8-2012 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
No you should definetly Not get a gun, as someone else stated you are very mis-informed, thinking that many people dont care about 3rd world people, and dont know whats going on in other countries, that is scary to even say. Fortunately many people are very much informed about what is going on in the world, including myself. 3rd world is probably going to be better off in a situation that involves survivng, that is there day to day life. And the Zombie crap, is just crap. I can sleep at night knowing I wont have to fight Zombies in the morning, LOL

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
you are lucky you live in a country that allows guns...
for the purpose of overthrowing tyranical governments (sign of things to come?)

just because you have a gun doesn't mean you may ever use it..
normally just a flash of steel will scare most people anyways
the ones that aren't scared of bullets NEED shooting...
to remind them they are not invincible and put fear of god/allah/jesus/yhwh/leneord nemoy into them

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ABNARTY

Rule #1: CARDIO

OP, if you don't think you "have the heart" to kill someone, I do not think you should get a weapon. Should the need to use it arise and you fail to use it and use it with a purpose, it could in fact worsen the situation for you.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
YES.

Get a gun, learn how to use it, go to the range regularly, become familiar with the safety protocols and how to operate it in a manner that does not endanger you or others.

Then, if you want to go further, get your CCW if you feel that, after becoming a 2nd amendment rights holder is right for you, you'd actually like to be effective in treacherous situations.

Thing is, you may not want to harm another being but that's now. Later, when the tides are turned and there's an absolute need for defense, your mind may be changed. The best thing about being a gun owner, a trained one at that, is that you may NEVER need to use it, ever. But should you need to, it is one thing you simply do not have to worry about.

The other thing is...hey, its a lot of fun shooting a gun at targets. I mean I have a total blast each and every time I'm at the range. It feels good, exercises the mind, and puts a smile on my face with each clip I put through paper.

Get a gun, be responsible, get a safe to put it in or some other safety measure, and learn how to use it.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
the statistics don't lie

most guns kept in the home are used on the gun owner, or someone the gun owner knows

NOT

an intruder

or zombie, lol

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

Wrong, most guns kept in the home are absolutely not used on the owner. If that were true, there would be over 250 million people shot in their home, by their own gun. Thats just another way of TPTB to scare you into not arming yourself. Jeez.....some people.
I have exactly 136 guns in my home with a ton of ammo to boot. Not once has any of those weapons been used to shoot anyone. Let alone been used against me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join