It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I feel sorry for 'TPTB'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Nothing fails like success.

Maybe it was the blazing sun frying my brain (or perhaps the Piña colada I had just consumed) but whilst on holiday recently I was struck by an unusual thought: "Poor bastards, I feel sorry for them." The "them" in this case were the powers that be (TPTB).

Now I don't know who TPTB are, I don't even know if they exist. Some days I wake up feeling like EVERYTHING is a conspiracy whilst other days I struggle to see ANYTHING as a conspiracy. I generally tend to lean towards a Network outlook of life, that is..."We no longer live in a world of nations and ideologies, Mr Beale. The world is a college of corporations, inexorably determined by the immutable bye-laws of of business. The world is a business, Mr Beale. It has been since man crawled out of the slime."

That is, the world is a business fought over by a small group of money hungry, power mad psychopaths who will stop at nothing to increase their prestige. Either that or Reptilians.

But for this thread who TPTB are is almost irrelevant.

It could be the Rothschilds, the Reptilians or Road Runner, it doesn't matter. What matters is that thanks to a book (the book that lead to my pool-side ephiphany) I no longer hate these potential overlords, nor do I fear for the future of the human race.

The book in question was "The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are" by British philosopher, writer, and speaker Alan Watts. On page 74 of this book Watts expounds "the rules of policy for the complete tyrant" as described by The Arthashastra - an ancient Indian treatise on statecraft, economic policy and military strategy, written thousands of years ago.

I have reproduced the pertinent extract below.

A Hindu treatise on the art of government, the Arthashastra, lays down the rules of policy for the complete tyrant, describing the organization of his palace, his court, and his state in such fashion as to make Machiavelli seem a liberal. The first rule is that he must trust no one, and be without a single intimate friend. Beyond this, he must organize his government as a series of concentric circles composed of the various ministers, generals, officers, secretaries, and servants who execute his orders, every circle constituting a degree of rank leading up to the king himself at the center like a spider in its web. Beginning with the circle immediately surrounding the king, the circles must consist alternately of his natural enemies and his natural friends. Because the very highest rank of princes will be plotting to seize the king’s power, they must be surrounded and watched by a circle of ministers eager to gain the king’s favor—and this hierarchy of mutually mistrusting circles must go all the way out to the fringe of the web. Divide et impera - divide and rule.

Meanwhile, the king remains in the safety of his inmost apartments, attended by guards who are in turn watched by other guards hidden in the walls. Slaves taste his food for poison, and he must sleep either with one eye open or with his door firmly locked on the inside. In case of a serious revolution, there must be a secret, underground passage giving him escape from the center - a passage containing a lever which will unsettle the keystone of the building and bring it crashing down upon his rebellious court. The Arthashastra does not forget to warn the tyrant that he can never win. He may rise to eminence through ambition or the call of duty, but the more abolute his power, the more he is hated, and the more he is the prisoner of his own trap.The web catches the spider. He cannot wander at leisure in the streets and parks of his own capital, or sit on a lonely beach listening to the waves and watching the gulls. Through enslaving others he himself becomes the most miserable of slaves.

And with that came the realisation that these tyrants, these "powers that be", really have no power at all. They can never be happy. They can never "win."

So, if anyone ever asks: "How do we defeat The Powers That Be?"

The answer is simple: "We don't...they defeat themselves."

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

Evidently you aren't looking very hard .

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Interesting perspective.

What happens when they finally go down? How many of us will pay the price for their greed and corruption and be taken down with them?

I think that's on the minds of many

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
In Reality the only power any have is over themselves -
One can submit to others -
Or submit to ones dark side one example being by lusting and grabbing for power over others.
Or shake off the shackles of fear and be who one truly is.
Now that is a big question to answer - Who are you truly.
The Body?
The Personality?
Or something other

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   

I don't know man, I can see and appreciate the logic, but I see many ptb enjoying their shielding from the peasants, and encased in such dazzling materialism, that they do actually enjoy their positions. Now if this were the days of kings, it may be different, but I am unsure if this angle applies thoroughly enough in todays world.

I think consumer choices are one of our last hopes against potential slavery, in that they thrive from our dollar, so maybe quit feeding all our dollars.
There is some value to not feeding them with fear either, as in worrying so much that they are out to harm you. Hell sometimes I wonder(gets flame suit out) if they actually may be benevolent, and are doing the best they can to mange 7+ billion people. This is not what my heart tells me, but I still ponder it.

Peace

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Interesting perspective.

What happens when they finally go down? How many of us will pay the price for their greed and corruption and be taken down with them?

I think that's on the minds of many

In the end it is about how one conducts ones own life.
To overcome ones own corruption and greed
The Universe and Reality takes care of the rest
All are equal and tolerance and caring for ones fellows requires no governments or corporations - Perhaps we have a long road yet to travel but there again it is about the journey
edit on 1-8-2012 by artistpoet because: typos

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

I think we share very similar thoughts.

The point I was trying to make is that these tyrants will spend the whole of their lives searching for something they can never have. And for that I pity them.

As the John Lennon quote goes...

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Yeah well I do and don't feel sorry for them. I do in a sense that there is something seriously wrong with people who only want to have more than everyone else how ever these would probably step on their own mothers necks for a profit. They don't care if families starve on the street. They don't care about future generations as we rape the resources and pollute our habitat. They are already 60+ years old . The baby boomers and the generation before ww2 have been the most reckless and greedy So far yet ... and the hippies from the 60's were the biggest sell outs this world has ever seen.

But looking at top economics/ business schools all they taught was greed and cutting corners for maximum profits. Instead of teaching of responsibility and ethics The sheep in power only follow what others are doing and what they are taught.

I am surprised they don't bury themselves when they die with all their assets much like the pharaoh.

We need a new currency and not accept any of the old world currency So these greedy, ethicless people cannot carry on. To never allow this state of the corporate greed happen again

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I feel as much sympathy for them as they do for us, which is absolutely nothing. I understand where you're coming from but these people don't deserve any sympathy. They deserve to be burned alive since they are responsible for millions of deaths of innocent people. Not to mention the millions of future deaths they will cause...

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
TPTB (trying to win)

I am also very upset that TPTB have a difficult life and may never achieve what they are setting out to do.

All those luxury homes, sports cars, maids and servants, private islands, private jets, prostitutes, drugs etc etc geez, how hard must it be for them to live under those conditions?

They really only want to control and manipulate the entire population of the earth and have us cower at their feet – nothing wrong with that?

If they feel the population of the earth is unsustainable, they can kill off 90% of us if they want – that’s ok, it’s obviously the right thing to do.

Feeling that they have our best interests at heart, of course we can all become the same – same laws, same money, no freedom and ruled by tyranny – again, I can’t see anything wrong with that?

So let’s just bend over and let the self-elected “elite” do what they want to us….. we are already letting them now, so let’s lube up and give them an easy ride home.

It’s what they want; it’s what we want…… they obviously got to the top by elections and doing the right thing, we gave them the leadership and said “hey, you guys can now rule and control the world for us ok, we don’t mind what you do”

Yep, we should let them win…..

:-/

Mickierocksman

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
they will pay ... as due to their actions they will have to incarnate again - probably as something other than human as the highest incarnation next to achieving enlightenment and becoming a buddha is being a human being ... it will take them many lifetimes to learn ....
edit on 1/8/12 by Expat888 because: correcting translation of concept ... too early ... need more coffee...

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Nice write up sir. I enjoyed it and your out look.

People in power will always try to achieve more power. In the end, it seems overindulgence might be their own demise.

Although I hate peddling myself, I too wrote a parody on TPTB if you want to take a peak.(www.abovetopsecret.com...)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I think we need to qualify our terms to effectively communicate.

It seems necessary to point out that an elite, and PTB are two different things. One is simply able to do as they please, from a financially independent (wealth) perspective. The latter chooses to use their influence to socially engineer a nation, continent, or perhaps the entire globe to whatever extent.

As far as PTB are concerned, I see no reason to think they're all evil. I see no objective "evil" out there, anyways. I see people grouping together when they have like ideals and beliefs. They pool together their resources to bring about certain goals. Some of these goals involve means which many would consider evil. Some may not.

It would be my best guess that the majority of PTB are heavily burdened by what they have to do for society. There's no easy way to keep millions/billions in a state of social cohesion. Sure, if we are to disintegrate, and start smaller social structures, we can have much more freedoms in theory, but in reality I doubt the majority could do so effectively, and provide adequate basic needs. Even if we could, goodbye internet, transcontinental flights, etc, etc...

There seems to be an assumption amongst many on this site. That being the PTB are always evil, or control freaks, etc...the truth is that the only way to be a PTB is to have great influence/control...it simply comes with the role. Damage control is an every day reality for folks like these. They don't get to choose ways in which nobody suffers...it's simply not possible. Even our best supercomputers, think tanks, etc...can't objectively come up with the best way to steer our species for the coming decades. People are merely doing what they can.

I feel sorry for these guys for a different reason. They spend their whole lives excelling, and rising to positions of great responsibility, only to be seen as power hungry psychopaths by the majority when it all starts crashing down. What if these people truly did step down? Who would replace them? What viable system, exactly? Nope, you get rid of the PTB, and all hell breaks loose.

Honestly, I'm disgusted by everything and everyone at this point. I'm incredibly disappointed we've waited so long to be this aware. Yet this is history repeating itself. It is quite rare that we snap out of it before it's too late. We usually are but a few moments from complete destruction, if we actually manage to thwart it at all!

No, I don't feel sorry for anyone at this point. I just feel disgusted. Yet the "spiritual" will come and try to "enlighten" me by saying I'm a fool who wants to control outside of myself, and that can never happen...or some other jargon. Go screw yourself. I'm fully aware that I choose to remain disgusted. I would feel like a sell out to experience this in any other way.
edit on 1-8-2012 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8

As the John Lennon quote goes...

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”

Great response, and happiness really is the key to it all. Do you suppose that any one of TPTB are any happier than these guys below, who have absolutely nothing to there name. If the answer is no then they've already lost the battle.

If you look at the wikipedia List of countries by suicide rate you can see a trend imho shows happiness has nothing to do with material wealth or power. At the high end of the list are 2nd world countires who want something more than they already have. The second major chunk are first world countries are who have it all but it's still not enough. And finally not even making a showing until well past #20 are the 3rd world countires who have long since gotten past not having material wealth.

S&F LiveForever...

edit on 1/8/2012 by 1littlewolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

The point I was trying to make is that these tyrants will spend the whole of their lives searching for something they can never have. And for that I pity them.

That is very selfless and considerate of you to pity the evil people who wish you dead…I admire that.

For me, I may get to that point when I know my family is safe and the world is free from tyrannical rule. Until then I will continue to seek proof of their existence and actively plan their demise!

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Mickierocksman

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm?

My point was not that we should let them win, my point was that they cannot win. Of course, we should all do our best to fight injustice and expose evil whenever and whereever we can. The truth should always out, and in time it does.

Instead of focusing on the half dozen individuals who wield all the power now we should be focusing on preventing the next half dozen from ever reaching such a zenith. Time will take care of todays monsters, it is us who have to deal with tomorrows monsters, today.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Originally posted by unityemissions

I feel sorry for these guys for a different reason. They spend their whole lives excelling, and rising to positions of great responsibility, only to be seen as power hungry psychopaths by the majority when it all starts crashing down. What if these people truly did step down? Who would replace them? What viable system, exactly? Nope, you get rid of the PTB, and all hell breaks loose.

At a later point in the book Watts has this to say in relation to your above point:

Nothing unites a community so much as a common cause against an external enemy, yet, in the same moment, that enemy becomes the essential support of social unity. Therefore, larger societies require larger enemies, bringing us in due course to the perilous point of our present situation, where the world is virtually divided into two huge camps

Sounds eerily familiar, doesn't it?

He goes on to point out how both sides would react to such a situation:

But if high officers on both sides have any intelligence at all, they make a secret agreement to contain the conflict: to call each other the worst names, but to refrain from dropping bombs. Or, if they insist that there must be some fighting to keep the armies in trim, they restrict it to local conflicts in "unimportant" countries.

Watts encapsulates this idea by stating:

Voltaire should have said that is the Devil did not exist. it would be necessary to invent him.

new topics

join