It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Pyramids at Giza

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
It's understandable that people would lean toward believing that aliens either constructed or aided in the construction of the pyramids.

The other alternative is even more disturbing: that humans built the pyramids, but they would have to have had more complete knowledge of building techniques and cosmic mathematics than we presently have... that a great civilisation built the pyramids in the distant past... as a reminder, a lasting monument of a legacy that died off many MANY thousands of years ago. Why is this disturbing? It would appear that we had been so advanced as to have wonders we're only still imagining are science-fiction, and then destroyed it. I see theories of a great war between Atlantis and the Raman Empire, even carrying these battles to the moon, and beyond... to Mars.

Why would I jump to such a conclusion... well, I haven't jumped to any conclusions, I'll go along with the conventional wisdom that it's inconclusive. But here are a few facts about the pyramids that make me really stop and think (a more complete list, including the original article can be found at The Mystery of the Pyramids, but these are the ones that struck me as important, and these facts are actually enumerated on several sites):

1) The structures are built to face true (magnetic) North

2) The Pyramid is located at the exact center of the Earth's land mass. That is, its East-West axis corresponds to the longest land parallel across the Earth, passing through Africa, Asia, and America. Similarly, the longest land meridian on Earth, through Asia, Africa, Europa, and Antarctica, also passes right through the Pyramid. Since the Earth has enough land area to provide 3 billion possible building sites for the Pyramid, the odds of it's having been built where it is are 1 in 3 billion.

3) The height of the Pyramid's apex is 5,812.98 inches, and each side is 9,131 inches from corner to corner (in a straight line). If the circumference of the Pyramid is divided by twice its height (the diameter of a circle is twice the radius), the result is 3.14159, which just happens to be pi. This calculation is accurate to six digits.

4) Each of the Pyramids four walls, when measured as a straight line, are 9,131 inches, for a total of 36,524 inches. At first glance, this number may not seem significant, but move the decimal point over and you get 365.24. Modern science has shown us that the exact length of the solar year is 365.24 days.

5) All four sides of the Pyramid are very slightly and evenly bowed in, or concave. This effect, which cannot be detected by looking at the Pyramid from the ground, was discovered around 1940 by a pilot taking aerial photos to check certain measurements. As measured by today's laser instruments, all of these perfectly cut and intentionally bowed stone blocks duplicate exactly the curvature of the earth. The radius of this bow is equal to the radius of the Earth.

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 01:57 PM
link   
how can a pyramide face the true magnetic pole? the magnetic pole is not static,it moves all time,it is actually over north canada I think

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   
yeah, it's actually within 16 arc-seconds... but still...

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I don't understand how a pyramid can face something? the 4 sides are identical

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 05:16 PM
link   
But the Egyptians were not particulary interested in precision when they built things.

They laid out the pyramid (it is shown in murals and paintings) by having the Pharaoh come out and mark the point on the horizon where a given star rose, and then hours later where it set. Then he divided the angle by 2 in order to arrive at celestial (not magnetic) north.

Now, halving an angle requires some pretty involved geometry, which the egyptians invented. But when they did it to lay out the great pyramid, they did it sloppily; off by over 2 degrees. The important thing was that the "pharoah found north," and not where north actually was.

We did this in an astroarchaeology lab using Egyptians tools, and got to within a third of a degree, just using rope and sticks. But the Egyptians weren't trying for accuracy, but for harmony. Pharoah's north was more important than "literal" north.

And how does anyone know the height in inches(!) of "The Pyramid" (there's 3 biggies at Giza), when the corners and tops were stripped away by centuries of marble robbers a thousand years ago?

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Well, it's a fact that the three pyramids are built in alignment at to sunrise at summer solstace, and that the three are in line with true north... but only one pyramid actually exhibits the other properties... the great pyramid of giza.

Explain how robbers could create a circumstance where these mathematics would be expressed by chance. All of it? All of it by chance? Also explain the convex nature of the walls of the pyramid at the base that, when laser measured, produce an arc equal to the arc of the earth.

I'm not convinced that it's by chance. They were built with mathematical precision that we have difficulty producing in this day and age. The stones were placed as precisely as only our most advanced equipment (for 20 ton stones).

I'm not going to accept an explanation about sloppiness by the egyptians... I personally don't consider our knowledge of the age of the pyramids or the nature of the egyptian culture to be conclusive... there are still some mysteries that the archeologists readily acknowledge.

For sloppy people and looters of the ages, it's quite an impressive configuration.

--- added from edit:

it's a 1 in 3 billion chance that the pyramids would be built in the center of the land mass of the earth (going from end to end both north/south and east/west, the largest amount of land on any imaginary line on the globe runs through the pyramids both ways)...

then again, there are deeper mysteries still in the world... like why the incas had runways...

[edit on 10-10-2004 by ironyWrit]

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   
This topic has been done to death. If you actually take some time (and watch discovery channel, they had several great documentaries on how the pyramids were built) you would see that they were build by many people, over many many years, and did not require any help from aliens or ancient superior civilizations.

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 09:22 PM
link   
The fact that they were built is a good indication that the ancient peoples of whatever civilisation were at least more superior than we give them credit for.

For such people to know the mathematical mysteries of mankind, and to achieve such an incredible feat... yes, I'll consider them somewhat superior...

What's the worst that could happen to you by acknowledging "oh, we had cars and helicopters 15,000 years ago but we blew ourselves up in a catastrophic war" ? It's not exactly disbelievable, look at what humans of today are capable of doing.

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I think the idea of a PREHISTORIC advanced civilization blew itself to bits might fit in w/ our data from about 15000-10,000 BC.

I just don't think it was the Egyptian culture that did this.

The pyramids, if you start to climb on them, are not quite so precise. Each course of stone is perfectly level, so that the next row will be also. But there are numerous vertical chinks in between the stones, big enough for people to slide into. The Egyptians left these empty spaces on purpose. The more voids, the less the total volume of rock they had to move, and the less weight on the foundation. . .

Personally, unless they've checked w/ seismic equipment, I would believe that there are undiscovered routes still within the pyramids.

Most of the measurements quoted by enthusiastic purveyors of "cosmic numbers in the pyramids base their figures on those of Piazzi Smythe, an 18th century proponent of the idea that the symbolizm of the Bible is hidden in the pyramids. Since the corners of the pyramid were missing when he wrote his books, he "conjectured" the size of the missing layers of marble surfacing, and voila! the numbers were "perfect."

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Funny thing you should say that. I was referring to the prehistoric civilisations pre 13,000 BC, exactly when I was talking about such a civilisation. Archeologists have found demolished cities with ruins, of whose destruction they could find no other obvious explanation for except nuclear detonation... green glass stratas, evaporated remains...

I just get the feeling that we're not the first to fly in the skies or harness electrical power... this planet just FEELS like it remembers such things from ages past...

you know that old saying "if these walls could speak..."

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Do you know what's even more of a mystery? How there seems to be a new Alien/Pyramid Thread in ATS every week
This subject has been beaten to death! I'd love to go into how ridiculous the idea that aliens built, or helped to build the pyramids are, but since I have already done that in the 50 other existing threads on this subject I'll leave it alone.

Below are some links that this thread could have been added to:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 11-10-2004 by mpeake]

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Ah, but I'm new. :-) I get my one pyramid thread...

I logged in here for the same reason many other people log in here for. I don't read most of the threads because I have come to my own conclusions, already, about many subjects. And, if everyone had seen a UFO or realised something profound about ancient history then it wouldn't be labelled a conspiracy, and there wouldn't be so much of the nay-saying that I've become used to surfing boards like this... but that is not the case, and some of us will always know what we've been through, what we've seen or discovered.

But it's interesting to see who's here, how they respond, and what they have to say. I comb the site for tidbits that may intuitively strike me a true, and maybe I'll discover something new, or have an old belief held disproved via rational debate. I think that's why a lot of people log in here. Yes, sometimes I think people log in just to deny anything and everything that comes along, but they don't bother me.

[edit on 10/11/2004 by ironyWrit]

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   
All I can say is that some of the threads that have been started on this subject actually have alot of great info (supporting both sides). Your ideas could be well received in one of those threads. So if it's feedback you're looking for, you really oughta check out some of those already started threads. I know I have spent alot of time defending my veiws in them.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ironyWrit
Ah, but I'm new. :-) I get my one pyramid thread...

[edit on 10/11/2004 by ironyWrit]
Actually, no, you don't...Using the excuse that your new...is no excuse to not follow the rules you agreed to when joining......if everyone had this mentality the board would loaded with repeats on everything and would quickly lose integrity....

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I don't understand. I didn't think I was breaking rules when I posted this. I broke the rules, yesterday, by accident, in another forum, but I've corrected this, and the moderators have talked to me, and I understand.

As far as this thread is concerned? There is no rule against posting a thread on the pyramids. I see at least a couple of instances where topics are hashed and rehashed in different threads on this particular board, but I didn't see any of the other pyramid threads, until someone pointed them out to me.

I agree, being new is not an excuse to break the rules, but I certainly haven't been told that I broke the rules on this thread.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   
A subject like alien/pyramid is definitely a popular one. In order to keep down the number of repetitive threads, it is encouraged to use the ATS Search tools...see link below:

Just type in a few key words and you'll see several related threads that you can participate in.

[edit on 11-10-2004 by mpeake]

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I see that now. Thanks for the heads up. I actually am kind of exhausted about talking about the pyramids, though, so I think this thread should be allowed to dry up.

top topics

join