It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chick-Fil-A, Standing Up Against a Liberal Agenda

page: 13
<< 10  11  12   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

To be fair,

Chick-fil-a has donated money to anti-gay rights groups.

If gay people do not have the right to marry who they love, then they are second class citizens.

Again, I support the right of a private company to do whatever they want with their money. However, his logic does follow. Chick-fil-a has donated money to the cause of creating second class citizens.

EDIT because I don't want to make another post: Thanks for that info BH, I guess I won't be eating there at all ever. I tend to avoid fast food altogether, I always thought Chik-fil-a was one of the better ones but I guess not.
edit on 1-8-2012 by drwizardphd because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-8-2012 by drwizardphd because: (no reason given)

Yes, thank you.

I never thought that Chick Fil A was one of the better ones. I didn't like their sanctimonious religosity. while they have every right to do whatever, the citizens have a right to speak out.

I am getting suscpious, however, that this guy ADAM Smith is maybe a plant. convenient that his name just happens to be ADAM SMITH. The Father of Captialism.

I am wondering this is a convenient stupid distraction AWAY from the Aurora shooting?? ..

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by lambs to lions

Their beliefs?

Don't you mean the beliefs of the company's president, Mr. Cathy?

You're certainly confusing his beliefs with their beliefs.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by MissingRonnieR
The truth is that deep inside in a place the most dedicated Liberals will never admit exists lies a truth, They believe that Homosexuality is deviant. Homosexuality is not a skin color or region of birth. It is not a religion or political ideology.

Now most of America hoping to be PC joins in the acceptance chorus. The average American only wants to be left alone and for the most part thinks that others deserve the same. Then there is the group that are willing to simply outwardly say “no, it is wrong”.

Where the Gay movement has gone wrong is that they do not truly know how people feel. It is not what they say or how they act. For most the marriage issue pushes it over the edge and runs head long into the hidden reality that the majority of Americans outwardly accept you, inside they do not. We do the best we can because you are members of our family, you may be our friends. or neighbors and people we respect for what you do in the conduct of your life and we may even love you. Still if we could change things we would not want you gay.

People will never say it to your face; they will behave as expected and decry anyone deemed a homophobe. In reality they do not truely accept, understand, or ever in their wildest dreams hope that their children are gay. That is the truth. Like it or not. Take what you can get ,live and let live, most of us cannot blame you for trying. Most of us wish you no harm but do not ever think that the your perception ever represents the reality of life.

And this is THE truth? According to whom? You? And who are you exactly that you speak for all of us?

I don't feel that way. My brother is gay. I don't feel disgust and never have.

My brother and his husband (thank you Massachusetts) have been together more than 14 years. They are in my top ten list of the most wonderful people to know. They lived downstairs from me for two years and my bedroom was even right above theirs. I offered to be a surrogate for them should they choose to have a child. So your opinion about how I "really feel" is not very valid I'm afraid.

You know what I think (and I'm not alone with this): people who are so consumed with what gay people do in the bedroom secretly wish they could be doing it themselves. But they're so programmed to believe it's "wrong" and "immoral" that they feel they have to deny that desire in themselves, marry someone of the opposite sex, spend their lives trying to make it so other people can't do what they want to do because they're jealous, and either have affairs on the side or finally admit it late in life and destroy their family.

It's not the gayness that is destructive. It's the denial that it is a completely human way to exist.

So there, you have your opinion and I have mine. The only difference is I didn't try to tell you that I know how YOU feel.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by MissingRonnieR

Originally posted by MissingRonnieR
The truth is that deep inside in a place the most dedicated Liberals will never admit exists lies a truth, They believe that Homosexuality is deviant.

Define "deviant" as you use it here. Because if we consider that heterosexuality is the "norm" and homosexuals "deviate" from that norm... then it IS deviant, as it deviates from the norm. At one time, having a baby outside of marriage was considered "deviant" behavior. Not celebrating Christmas in the US is deviant behavior. It's more about the judgment associated with being deviant. Is it a bad thing? I don't think so. I deviate from the norm in society quite a bit.
I'm proud of it and I claim my position in the world, whether my "deviance" bothers anyone else or not.

Not being gay myself, I'm not really interested in seeing 2 men together. It makes me a little bit sick, in actuality... But I am aware that these people exist and are entitled to the same rights as anyone else. Just because I don't understand the attraction doesn't mean I have negative judgments about them. These days, people are totally wrapped up in the idea that "if you're not like me, I don't accept you"... Sad, but true.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by lambs to lions
reply to post by torqpoc

For their right to exercise the 1st amendment....are you unable to grasp this concept? Not just one side of the fence gets to voice their opinion. You are the one that is trying to intimidate and bully others because they dont share your views...you are more of a problem than Cathy. People don't listen or respond to aggression, they get defensive. If you want others to be respectful of you, you should give respect as well. You won't pull me into an angry hateful debate. You are the only one spitting venom here, you are the nasty, mean oppressor. Keep it up, your inability to engage in a calm and mature debate is painfully obvious.

Have you actually read anything i've written? Spitting venom? Nasty, mean oppressor? Have you lost the last of your marbles or what? You're ridiculous. I HAVE been calm and mature. You have now done three about faces in this, your thread. The title of your thread is STANDING UP AGAINST A LIBERAL AGENDA. You openly stand by Chick-Fil-A standing up against the very liberalism which allows you the right to be for the 1st Amendment, but wrapped up in bigotry. I'm sorry but if you actually are going to try and discuss issues with me, don't try to paint me out to be something i am not simply because you have run out of sensible things to say, not that you actually had any from the outset in my opinion, but as you so rightly state it is your right to spout whatever you want, isn't it? So here goes what my new found belief of the day is: I think all Christians and supporters of Chick-Fil-A should have no rights to vote and should be ostracised from society.. guess what it is my belief and i'm allowed to have it, right? It's such a pitiful game you wish to play but we can all be children Lambs to Lions.

Your posting style has gone from attacking, to vague and now outright lies.... *golf clap*.

I have zero respect for you, I didn't from the outset and that was your doing by posting such a moronic OP. If you want to clap at people supporting a company which is openly against people's rights to do whatever they want with regards whom they love, then i'm sorry you deserve NO respect.

Furthermore, since you actually state not just one side of the fence gets to voice their opinion. Kindly tell me when was the last time you read about a pro gay or pro liberal group outright state they think Christians are 2nd class citizens, have no right in society, have no right to marry whom they wish? The side of the fence you choose to support is riddled with hate and aggression. The side of the fence I choose to support openly thinks everyone, EVERYONE, has the right to love whom they want.... big, huge fricking difference.

Now i'm done with you... you're truly pathetic.

T
edit on 4-8-2012 by torqpoc because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-8-2012 by torqpoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Here is another perspective to the whole situation of anti-gay businesses. Pro-gay businesses.

Business is of course about prophet. Many businesses have started jumping on the Pro-gay side. Understanding the buying power of gays AND majority of consumers - - - as last poll indicated majority of the public now support Gay Rights.

Political/Opportunist/Prophet or otherwise - - - I see more business using this opportunity to become Pro-Gay business - - and not supportive of anti-gay Chick-fil-A.

Countering Chick-fil-A, Amtrak and other firms bask in gay pride, and gay dollars

You better think twice, Chick-fil-A: The same week that the fast food chain faced criticism over its president’s opposition to same-sex marriage, the train company unveiled a new campaign targeting gay and lesbian customers.

The “Ride With Pride” program promotes “extremely gay-friendly” destinations, including California wine country and Martha’s Vineyard.

“It makes good business sense to target a population that is a friend of the rails, a friend of rail travel,” said Amtrak spokesman Cliff Cole, who was unsure how many tickets were sold through the promotion.

www.nydailynews.com...

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kaploink

Liberal agendas are constantly being forced down our throat and we are constantly being beaten over the head with them. He wasn't being hateful, he was stating his opinion, and doing so at the risk of his company's well-being. We know what happens when a company is perceived to be an enemy to the social equality movement of the gay community. The media organizes into an army and attempts to maim and destroy.

Are you sure the Chick-Fil-A statement wasn't part of some conservative religious agenda? One that is trying to force their beliefs down our throats? The media may have carried the story in support of Chick-Fil-A. After all, the media sure does have a lot of religious programming on Sunday morning.

I don't see them pushing an agenda "down our throats" any more than gays do.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by maybee

Equal Right of Marriage is an agenda?

Being shoved down your throat?

I kinda think Equal Rights belongs to everyone.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

The inability to take away someone's civil rights doesn't equal persecution.

Once gay rights are equal to straight rights, you'll see a pretty serious decline in "gay pride" events. You might still have a pride parade, but that only happens once a year.

I'd be quite happy if God came down and said, "Okay, you straights have ruined it for everyone. No more marriage at all..I'll be back in 2000 years to see if you've learned anything... Byeeeee!"

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
And YES - - I absolutely do boycott any business I know that donates to anti-gay hate groups or anti-abortion rights. I do not boycott businesses just because they are owned by people of faith.

Domino's, White Castle, Carl's Jr: Fast Food Companies Run By Right Wingers

Lauren Kelley, the activism and gender editor at AlterNet, pulled together a list of five food companies run by radical right wingers."who’ve spent significant money opposing gay rights, anti-abortion rights, and other important causes and funding attack ads against left-leaning politicians."

Chick-fil-A

Carl’s Jr.

Domino’s Pizza

White Castle

Waffle House

www.advocate.com...

edit on 5-8-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   

reply to post by notionfreely

Why not? It is delicious. The poor little tasty chickens...

haha not saying they aren't, just that we probably ought to start thinking of these kinds of things as something different from food.

if you've ever had the much smaller traditional chicken, you'll know what I'm saying here. those are delicious as well, and my stomach deserves to have a stab at digesting both as often as possible. (even if one is pricing itself out of existence.)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by otherpotato

But how does your marriage get recorded as being "official" then? One cannot just say "I'm married now" and gain the benefits that come with it. (And mind you I'm not saying this is the way it "should" be - we all know how the government likes to subtly force you to do things).

this may get answered in the next page, but preserving common-law rights is an important struggle too. (i'm not saying one is more important to the other, rather there are many worthwhile causes to advance.)

several states have codified common-law marriage. in my state, if you live with another individual for a year, both sign an affidavit and have the required number of witnesses (two) also sign affidavits, you're married.

that preserved right aided in allowing our state judiciary to find that 'gay marriage,' was perfectly acceptable.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by grahag

How do YOU enforce those unalienable rights? The rights that you were born with and no man can take away?

When you live in a society that enforces it's rules through imprisonment, liens, fines, and other methods, how do you buck the rules to claim your unalienable rights?

was the 'its' mistake intentional?

if not, that's the greatest freudian slip of all time.
when you live in a society...it is rules...

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by grahag

Originally posted by Annee

The inability to take away someone's civil rights doesn't equal persecution.

Once gay rights are equal to straight rights, you'll see a pretty serious decline in "gay pride" events. You might still have a pride parade, but that only happens once a year.

I'd be quite happy if God came down and said, "Okay, you straights have ruined it for everyone. No more marriage at all..I'll be back in 2000 years to see if you've learned anything... Byeeeee!"

I'd be more likely to support gay people if they didn't do the pride events and stuff like the chic-fil-a thing and the kiss thing that went on Friday. They should really come off of the attack and start presenting themselves differently to gain support from more conservative people. I can respect quietly deciding to never eat at Chic-Fil-a again. I don't really do the whole loud, in your face approach that the gayrights people tend to adopt. Being loud and in my face is a good enough reason for me to be against you, religion and other things aside..
edit on 6-8-2012 by timidobserver because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by timidobserver

I'd be more likely to support gay people if they didn't do the pride events

Have you ever been to a pride event - - or just watched the sensationalizing on TV?

. . . and stuff like the chic-fil-a thing and the kiss thing that went on Friday.

The "Kiss Thing" - - - was - - show what love is by taking a picture of yourself kissing at a Chick-fil-A. They posting the picture on a website. Have you seen the photos? There's just pix of a kiss - - a simple kiss.

They should really come off of the attack and start presenting themselves differently to gain support from more conservative people.

Attack? Oh - that's right Chick-fil-A - - is now the victim.

Like blacks should dress and behave like whites to be acceptable?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by torqpoc

Originally posted by SaturnFX
You do have a right to be a bigot though

Really? Don't you find it is highly specific what you are allowed to be a bigot about? For instance, racism is a form of bigotry but not allowed. Religious bigotry, ie hating people based on their religious beliefs, also not allowed... the list goes on.

Just speaking about US law. Yes, Racism is allowed. We still have the KKK, we got black panthers, etc. They hold marches, have signs, etc.
You can also be hateful in public about this religion or that.

Now, you cannot be threatening...saying I hate green people is fine, saying green people are the worst of society and should not be in this country is fine. But telling people to go shoot a greenie, then that is insighting violence or something (fire in a theater or some such).

Bigotry is tolerated and covered. it simply is. should it be? well, the problem is, once you start curbing one group or mindset, then it opens up the slippery slope. 100 years later, they are silencing any dissenting voice of government because its disruptive or some such..censoring videos that may contain hateful ideas, etc...so, take the good with the bad, and just ignore the bad. There is a reason why the KKK can't get airtime on any network...consumers will boycott hateful things naturally and make them impotent

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

The reason the founding fathers created a republic instead of a democracy is because a direct democracy is a tyranny of the majority.

For their time, they believed that those in the minority should be represented. So much so, is the reason why they created the electoral college.

why you may be saluting the first amendment protection for Cathy, fact is, it is going against everything that the founding fathers built the Constitution on.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Dnevnoi

I'm as liberal as they come. I find nothing deviant about homosexuality. What I find deviant is your attitude toward some of your fellow human beings.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I appreciate the response SaturnFX =)

Thank you!

T

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by lambs to lionsHe wasn't being hateful, he was stating his opinion
That opinion being that gays don't deserve equal marriage rights under the law.

You can twist it all you want, but let's face it, if you don't think two consenting adults shouldn't be allowed to be legally married based on their sexuality, then you clearly have a problem with them. It doesn't effect your life in any way whatsoever, there's no excuses.

That fact that his company donates money to anti-gay groups doesn't make matters any better either.
edit on 7-8-2012 by technical difficulties because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12   >>

join