It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chick-Fil-A, Standing Up Against a Liberal Agenda

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
It is not often that a company chooses 'core-values' over profits. Chick-Fil-A is one such company. In a time where companies will do anything and everything to grab as much money as possible, Chick-Fil-A chooses to close it's doors on Sundays, which they feel should be observed as a holy day of rest. To me, this is very, very refreshing.

Recently, Dan Cathy, the company's COO, made some comments during an interview with the Baptist Press concerning his beliefs on gay marraige. Cathy said, "We are very much supportive of the family-the biblical definition of the family unit, we are a family-owned business, a family-led business. and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that."

In choosing to exercise his right to free speech, Cathy has found himself , along with his company in a heated controversy. In this day and age, Cathy's opinions are considered bigoted, hateful, backwards, and primitive.

Mr. Cathy, I salute you.

You once again stood up for what YOU felt was right knowing that it would land you and your company in hot water publicly.

Liberal agendas are constantly being forced down our throat and we are constantly being beaten over the head with them. He wasn't being hateful, he was stating his opinion, and doing so at the risk of his company's well-being. We know what happens when a company is perceived to be an enemy to the social equality movement of the gay community. The media organizes into an army and attempts to maim and destroy.

I happen to work in a shopping center adjacent to a Chick-Fil-A location. This morning driving into work I noticed lines 50 yards long stretching out of Chick-Fil-A's main entrance. Also, cars were stretched halfway down the block and there were dozens of people outside in the parking lot. Living in Tulsa, where there is a above average population of gay people, I just knew that all the people must have been involved in a protest against Dan Cathy's stance. I was pleasantly surprised when some of my colleagues went over to check on the situation and reported that the crowd was there to show silent support of Chick-Fil-A. Again, this is very, very refreshing. I will continue to choose Chick-Fil-A over other 'fast food' businesses because I appreciate how the company stand's behind its principles. Honestly, I wouldn't care if they chose to champion the rights of insects. If that meant that they chose their beliefs over the security of their profits, I would respect that.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by lambs to lions

Which core values do you refer to?
I would like to know.

+20 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Reducing a segment of the human population to second-class citizens isn't one of my core values.

But hey, go ahead and celebrate discrimination. It's your right.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Equality is a 'liberal agenda' I suppose.

If that is the case, I see a very bleak future for social conservatism.

(for the record, I fully support Chik-fil-a's right to take their own stand on an issue. They are a privately owned company and can run their business any way they see fit, as long as they don't actually discriminate against anyone. I'll still probably eat there once in a while, but not as often as I used to.)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Their beliefs, which they obviously value, or they wouldn't stand by them. Thus, they leave profit on the table. Just because you have different values, don't poo-poo their right to theirs.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

I too support their right to run their mouths and their business however they see fit.

I vote with my wallet and stay away.

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtap66
Reducing a segment of the human population to second-class citizens isn't one of my core values.

But hey, go ahead and celebrate discrimination. It's your right.

One man gives an honest answer on his belief about gay marriage and you turn this into "reducing a segment of the human population to second-class citizens"? Keep it up. The blow back from this sort of disingenuous bullying of others will only hurt the gay movement.

Here is the Cathy Family Blog and their core values

This is the statement on a radio show that Dan Cathy Made:

“we’re inviting God’s judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say we know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage. And I pray God’s mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude that thinks we have the audacity to redefine what marriage is all about.”

This is the remark that you now hope to frame as a reduction of a segment of the population to second-class citizens.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
The Chick-Fil-A here has been slam packed since Saturday.

I am at least glad to see that folks so far have come out to peacefully support the side that they are on. This is how things should be done when one wants to get a message across. Violence has thankfully not occurred on either side.

I do have a great amount of respect for Dan Cathy coming out for what he believes is right, figuring it would cost him money in the end and I respect the fact that in the midst of it...he did not pander. I can respect most people's opinions unless they change on a whim, then all respect is indeed lost. When people can buy and sell you, what else is left?

Whether one agrees with him or not, this is still America and we should support each other's rights to do business how we wish and when we wish. I have a feeling that if we looked into every company's charitable contributions we would find a few in each one that we disagree with. Mr. Cathy's just seemed to be trotted out for closer inspection in this case.

I hope both sides can remain violence free. There is no room for that and one only damages whichever cause they are standing up for when it gets to that point.
edit on 8/1/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

To be fair,

Chick-fil-a has donated money to anti-gay rights groups.

If gay people do not have the right to marry who they love, then they are second class citizens.

Again, I support the right of a private company to do whatever they want with their money. However, his logic does follow. Chick-fil-a has donated money to the cause of creating second class citizens.

EDIT because I don't want to make another post: Thanks for that info BH, I guess I won't be eating there at all ever. I tend to avoid fast food altogether, I always thought Chik-fil-a was one of the better ones but I guess not.
edit on 1-8-2012 by drwizardphd because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-8-2012 by drwizardphd because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by lambs to lions
reply to post by grey580

Their beliefs, which they obviously value, or they wouldn't stand by them. Thus, they leave profit on the table. Just because you have different values, don't poo-poo their right to theirs.

Could you please elaborate exactly what beliefs.
Their beliefs is not really an answer.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

You wouldn't eat there if you knew what was in that "Fil-A"... www.abovetopsecret.com...

I fully support the CEO's right to free speech. And I hear he's getting a lot of business from all the people who agree with him that gay people shouldn't have all the rights the rest of us have. Good for them.

Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day

“I believe what the Bible says (about marriage),” Chauncy Fields told us after wolfing down a breakfast of chicken and biscuits. “So I came out here to support Chick-fil-A and the movement.”

Hmmm. I wonder what "movement" he's talking about...

Groups and individuals supporting Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day

• Focus on the Family’s CitizenLink
• Rick Santorum, former US Senator from PA, and his Patriot Voices organization
• Citizens United
• Family Research Council
• Rev. Billy Graham
• First Baptist Church of Dallas, Rev. Robert Jeffress
• Sarah Palin, former AK gov and former VP nominee

Of course, there's also a same-sex kiss day in the works for this Friday.

Chick for Gay vs Chick-Fil-A

On Friday, gay marriage proponents will hold kiss-in's at Chick-fil-A's across the country, declaring the day "National Same-Sex Kiss Day" or "Kiss Mor Chiks."

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Sorry, I though that you were being sarcastic. They do not believe in same-sex marraige. They believe in the marraige between two consenting adults, one being a man, the other, a woman.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Yeah, no.

They contribute to hate groups, and discriminate employees illegally. Being outright vocal about religion is fine to me. Whatever. But you CANNOT discriminate someone because they are not like you in the workplace.

Your right to vote with your wallet is retained.

The company won't step foot in Las Vegas NV because they are too good for us. So they solved the problem for me automatically.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

To be fair, the gay movement began as a liberation movement and has now become a turn to the government to ask permission from the state movement. The whole marriage issue was an opportunity for the gay movement to point out to heterosexuals that a license, by legal definition, is the grant to do something that would otherwise be illegal. The marriage issue was an opportunity for the gay movement to point out that no one needs permission from the state to be married. Instead, that opportunity was discarded in favor of filing privileges and licensing schemes.

In going down that road, the gay movement consciously and willingly chose the martyrdom of second-class citizenship.

Citizenship is overrated. There are "civil rights" which are government granted rights, and then there are unalienable rights that preexist government. Why so many are so infatuated with the former and have little regard for the latter is far more disturbing to me than what some fast food restauranteur has to say about gay people marrying and how he donates his money.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Good for them. I will continue to eat chic-fil-a... Why? Because those 12pc nuggets are just as tasty as having a dozen wives at home.

Go Religion.

edit on 1-8-2012 by Americanist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Perhaps there should be a "national heterosexual kiss-day"??? I'm not sure what that is supposed to accomplish? I support everyone's decision to choose who they want to be with. I just don't understand why some homosexuals want to flaunt their sexuality to the world. Then again, I don't know why some heterosexual people care.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Chic fil a, what a wicked web we the people weave!!!! Does anyone know what the 1st ammendment says? You know, the freedom of speech thing?? I can understand someone being upset with what the owner said, but have you ever looked in the mirror and worried about anything that you said that maybe someone didnt like? Of course not! That is because in the United States of America we HAD the freedom of speech!

Why has the liberal agenda turned this into an issue where it appears that they want our government to ban a business because of what someone says or believes in??? Can anyone see the hypocracy here?

Maybe I should create a post on how anyone who is against Obama should boycott Progressive Insurance or Little Caesars Pizza, just because the people who own those businesses support Obama!!!!!! Then again, I believe in our Constitution and believe no matter how I may disagree with someone that they HAVE THE FREEDOM TO SAY WHATEVER THE HELL THEY CHOOSE TO SAY WITHOUT CRYING TO BIG GOVERNMENT TO STOP THEM!!!!!

You folks who want to shut down a business in an economy that is going to hell in a handbasket need to really take a long hard look in the mirror and ask yourself how much you value your freedom of speech!!!! Plain and simple folks, god damn it!!! We love to say what's on our minds but god forbid someone says something that we disagree with???? Grow a damn set and quit being a bunch of cry babies!!

Reminds me of my days in grade school!! Yet we like to claim we are adults! Well ACT LIKE IT GOD DAMN IT!! Just because someone says something you don't agree with, doesn't give YOU OR THE GOVERNMENT the right or authority to stop it! You are walking a slippery slope and you should be able to see what is coming your way next!!!!

Maybe the liberal party should rename themselves the Anti 1st Amendment Crybaby Party????

link   
reply to post by Americanist

Hilarious!

I love it. 12 wives...

link   

Originally posted by lambs to lions

Liberal agendas are constantly being forced down our throat and we are constantly being beaten over the head with them. He wasn't being hateful, he was stating his opinion, and doing so at the risk of his company's well-being. We know what happens when a company is perceived to be an enemy to the social equality movement of the gay community. The media organizes into an army and attempts to maim and destroy.

Are you sure the Chick-Fil-A statement wasn't part of some conservative religious agenda? One that is trying to force their beliefs down our throats? The media may have carried the story in support of Chick-Fil-A. After all, the media sure does have a lot of religious programming on Sunday morning.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

To be fair, the gay movement began as a liberation movement and has now become a turn to the government to ask permission from the state movement. The whole marriage issue was an opportunity for the gay movement to point out to heterosexuals that a license, by legal definition, is the grant to do something that would otherwise be illegal. The marriage issue was an opportunity for the gay movement to point out that no one needs permission from the state to be married. Instead, that opportunity was discarded in favor of filing privileges and licensing schemes.

Exactly, I never need the state to tell me I was "married" to my wife.

In my heart I always was, from the moment I fell in love.

The state butting in was an after thought, Id be damned if the "state" would give me permission to marry my wife...

Its an after thought for tax benefits, and if that's all it is, the state level of participation should only be Civil unions for all.

Gay, Straight, who ever.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join