It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lauren Kornacki, Virginia Woman, Lifts BMW, Performs CPR To Save Father's Life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Lauren, an experienced lifeguard and former basketball player, instinctively knew what to do.

"I lifted it up … kind of threw it," she told NBC 12, "I just shoved my body into it as hard as I could, and then I came back and dragged him out and started CPR."

Alec reportedly weighs 210 pounds and, thanks to the unevenness of the car due to the tire having been removed, Lauren was able to shove it hard enough to tip the car off her father and drag him out of harm's way.

Alec had no oxygen and his heart stopped beating for less than five minutes during the ordeal, according to NBC 12 and Lauren only had to do two sets of mouth-to-mouth before Alec returned to life, just before the ambulance arrived, the Richmond Times-Dispatch reports.

source

I see the ability to somehow lift extremely heavy objects is still alive and well in the human genome. Or is it the ability to make up sensational lies?

Why not just jack the car back up? I've never understood that. It's been documented that a grown man can take the weight of an automobile on the ribcage, until the car is moved. Knowing this, why not just jack the car back up and save Dad the broken ribs?
edit on 1-8-2012 by AnarchysAngel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Was able to hold up a one ton pallet to save a friend once so its far from a lie. It all depends on the situation and whats at stake.

edit on 7/30/2012 by dreamfox1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by AnarchysAngel

the car was teetering on 2 wheels however when your scared you have no idea of how strong you can become it would blow your mind

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

hi op

great story and there is thousands on the net (look at the incredible hulk lol)

but seriously "jack the car up" wtf
as if you really have time to consider that, its not the film DAYLIGHT

life n death situations causes many reactions, and the quickest is best
weve all heard of the story where a mother lifts a car of her baby

sorry to be a spoiler

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

No its a documented fact that when under duress humans can lift several times what they normally would.

It's partly the adrenaline but it goes deeper than that neurologically. The muscles can in fact lift much more (some say up to three times) the normal amount the normal load they max out under. But the nervous system has all these safeguards involved that prevent the muscle from contracting that hard. The ligaments and bones can't handle the load but the muscles can, so thats why they think the safe guards are there.

However, when everything is on the line and it's all or nothing those safeguards are ignored by the nervous system and suddenly you can lift 1000 LBS.

Although I once saw a chart the somehow measured what gorillas can do when angry. 960 lb one armed row when enraged by the average male gorilla. Damn!!!

edit on 1-8-2012 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

Based on the factual accounts, and the outcome, it would appear that she simply rolled the car off of him. Stopping his heart, breaking his ribs, and sending him to the ICU.

Jacking up the car would be a smarter course of action.

Rule number one in a crisis, do nothing until you have stopped and thought about the problem.
edit on 1-8-2012 by AnarchysAngel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I agree its best to not simply throw things around and potentially make things worse. But getting out a jack and trying to lift up the car in the heat of the moment was probably not considered because it would take too much time to do all of that. Also they may have not had a jack to lift the car with either.

I know from personal experience when emergencies like that happen you simply react. If I think I can lift that car then thats what I would do in the heat of the moment. For better or worse. In this case it probably saved the mans life. I know it's better than the alternative which his to keep not breathing.

You'll never know how you'll react in an emergency when SHTF. THe only way to find out is to be put in such situations. It's actually one of the central tenants behind internal martial arts. getting use to how your body feels under extreme situations where the nervous system is going out of control. How to remain calm and focused without getting too much of a glandular reaction (ie adrenalin). they become good martial artists because they already know and have had time to learn how to cooperate with the body when the nervous system goes into overdrive during extreme situations. I know its a weird anecdote to give as an example.

I once lifted/Cartwheeled a 1000 pound tree stump by myself that had rolled on top of a day laborer in a trench at a construction site when I was younger. I had no time to think just enough to go. "Oh S#($*!!!!" and jump to his rescue. You just react in those situation, and your brain doesn't think hey this is too heavy I can't lift this. It simply says to it's self I must lift this period! Get it off the guy!!!!! get it off!!!!!! And somehow might you never knew you had wells up and gives you the ability to lift objects several times too heavy for the normal human.

Navy SEALS in buds are taught this very lesson, that there is always more inside of you that can give more. Thats the whole point of BUDS how to push yourself and find out what you are really made of. THey have a saying in BUDs according to some friends I've talked to that went through it. WHen your body says to stop because you are too tired you are only at 60% and still have another 40% to give. You just didn't realize it.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Awesome story! Good for her.

People should NOT crawl under cars without redundant safeties. I would never trust a jack, or even a jack stand. I always find something to put under there with me in case the jack were to fall.

My Mom tells us a story all the time of a truck falling on her Daddy. She was only 4 years old, and she was the only one around, and he took a deep breath and mustered these words in a calm voice, "Baby girl, go get your momma real fast." She just said OK, and ran off, and when her Mom came out with her he was passed out under the weight of the truck on his chest. Her mom jacked it up, and he ended up being ok, but I've heard that story so much that I'm paranoid about crawling under a car! I take extra precautions, especially if I'm all alone, or just have the kids around.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Yeah i too have constant thoughts of the car falling on me when I'm underneath one and it's jacked up. Heck I get the same feelings when I'm crawling under a car thats not jacked up like and wonder what would happen if one of my friends thought it was funny to jump on the bumper and the engine block slammed down on my chest by accident.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
Yeah i too have constant thoughts of the car falling on me when I'm underneath one and it's jacked up. Heck I get the same feelings when I'm crawling under a car thats not jacked up like and wonder what would happen if one of my friends thought it was funny to jump on the bumper and the engine block slammed down on my chest by accident.

A good friend of mine watched his dad die right in front of him when he was six. His dad crawled under a semi motor when it was chained up and the chain broke. It fell on his chest and crushed him. I never asked him about it because he is still pretty distraught over it a few decades later. He mentioned it a few times when we were sipping on a few cold one's. It always sticks in my mind and when I am under the vehicle I have the tires blocked, a few jacks, and blocks as back ups. I do not ever want my children losing their dad to something like this. There is no excuse for it.

This is no joke and I would not kid about something like this.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I've heard several stories of people moving vehicles and ribs starting to break. Good on her for thinking clearly!

top topics

join