It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Tea Party Strategy Wins Texas Senate Seat

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Most of us agree that the two-party system seriously flawed. Until the system is changed it's necessary to work within the system and get rid of those who are corrupting it. The GOP establishment took a big blow in Texas yesterday as Tea party favorite Ted Cruz beat the GOP candidate, Texas Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst by a landslide. Cruz will fill the seat being vacated by Kay Bailey Hutchison, an establishment puppet.

"Tea party darling Ted Cruz convincingly defeated the Republican establishment favorite, Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst, in Texas' runoff election Tuesday, capturing the GOP nomination to replace retiring U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison as fiercely conservative voters shook one of America's reddest states to its political core."

So how did he do it? It appears the Tea Party has a new strategy that is right out of the playbook of the most well known community organizer in the country…Obama!

Cruz spent the better part of the last two years frequently campaigning outside Texas, attending the regular weekend activist training sessions of groups such as Americans for Prosperity and FreedomWorks. There, he spent endless hours talking policy and cultivating relationships with grassroots bloggers and Tea Party activists.

Empowered by the Internet, they spread the word to voters and donors about candidates like Cruz well below the radar of mainstream media. This is a reflection of the decentralized Tea Party's organic strategic shift from fiery townhall meetings to old-fashioned organizing.

Cruz won by 13 points despite being outspent by a margin of nearly 3-1. The local media had Dewhurst up in polls yesterday, which shows the control and influence the GOP establishment has. This should be a wake-up call to all establishment politicians

"Ted's nomination sent a strong signal that a new conservative Republican Party is being born and, by 2016, principled conservatives will replace most leaders in Congress and the Party at the national, state, and local levels. GOP leaders should 'ask not for whom the bell tolls--it tolls for thee.'
link

This is a great sign IMO. The more establishment-types on both sides of the isle that can be defeated the better we’ll be. The focus this election cycle for the Tea Party is the same as the last two elections - packing the house and senate. 2016 will be about a Tea Party presidential candidate.

This is how you work within the system to create change.

edit on 1-8-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
A little background on the Club for Growth, who donated $4.8 million on behalf of Cruz in this election cycle:

en.wikipedia.org...

And FreedomWorks significant donations to Cruz's election

www.unitedliberty.org...

www.iwatchnews.org...

The 'tea party' has certainly strayed far from their 'grassroots' origins.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7
A little background on the Club for Growth, who donated $4.8 million on behalf of Cruz in this election cycle:

en.wikipedia.org...

And FreedomWorks significant donations to Cruz's election

www.unitedliberty.org...

www.iwatchnews.org...

The 'tea party' has certainly strayed far from their 'grassroots' origins.

How has it strayed?

These are conservative groups and TTP is a conservative movement.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Ron Paul's district with an endorsement from both he and Rand sure didn't hurt either...

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by freakjive
Ron Paul's district with an endorsement from both he and Rand sure didn't hurt either...

His list of conservative endorsements was huge.

I just hope he tows the conservative line and doesn’t become another flip flopper who is corrupted by the system…only time will tell.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

How has it strayed?

These are conservative groups and TTP is a conservative movement.

Sure. If you consider FreedomWorks a conservative movement, even though it's run by several former Bush-era neo-cons.

Dont get me wrong, i have been following this election, and I think what they pulled off is quite impressive. I'm just pointing out the millions donated to this guys campaign by several SuperPACS with connections to the very same RINO's they criticize.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

The GOP was behind Dewhurst….

Are you suggesting they used reverse psychology?

All I needed to know before I cast my vote for Cruz was that Dewhurst was endorsed by his old boss, Rick Perry who is an establishment NWO crook.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I'm confused?

How is getting millions of dollars from Super Pac's along with corporate sponsors...a "new strategy"?

They've done exactly what every other candidate this year has done with unlimited funds. Just beat him in the advertising race.

Sure he probably made himself more visible..but the strategy is no different.

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Republicans purging other republicans is a strategy that will ultimately fail.

There are roughly as many people (12-16%) today who consider themselves “part of the Tea Party movement” as two years ago. There are also almost as many people today (30%) with a favorable opinion of the Tea Party movement as two years ago (35%). However, there has been a steep drop in the percentage of people who don’t have an opinion about the Tea Party, from 42% two years ago to 19% today. Most of them have developed an unfavorable opinion, producing a rise from 22% two years ago to 51% today in the percentage with an unfavorable opinion of the Tea Party.

link

51% unfavorable rating for the tea party.
edit on 1-8-2012 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

The GOP was behind Dewhurst….

Are you suggesting they used reverse psychology?

All I needed to know before I cast my vote was that Dewhurst was endorsed by his old boss, Rick Perry who is an establishment NWO crook.

But, by your own logic, the GOP is also behind Cruz, since at least one superPAC who donated millions to him (FreedomWorks) has direct connections to the GOP old guard.

Again, I agree what 'they' did was impressive. My contention is with your characterization of this as a victory for the 'tea party' in any real sense of the term. The 'tea party' died years ago, and is now being raped by neocon GOP players like Dick Armey. If you think this signifies anything other than a shuffling of the deck chairs, you arent really paying attention. This is just a way for certain factions within the GOP to gain more power within their party. What I am pointing out to you is that their values are NOT what you think they are.

These guys are very pro-war. Cruz was endorsed by Jim DeMint, for example, who voted FOR NDAA. Limited government? Dont drink the coolaid.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

How is getting millions of dollars from Super Pac's along with corporate sponsors...a "new strategy"?

They've done exactly what every other candidate this year has done with unlimited funds. Just beat him in the advertising race.

Getting millions of dollars is a necessity these days for a national campaign, certainly not a strategy.

The strategy was to fly under the GOP radar while building grassroots support. Rather than loud rallies and in-your-face politics these new TP candidates are building grassroots connections and a strong base. He honed his skills…a lesson learned from people like Sarah Palin who came out of nowhere and was torn apart for her lack of depth and lack of connections (she was unknown and unlearned...certainly ill prepared).

Cruz spent the better part of the last two years frequently campaigning outside Texas, attending the regular weekend activist training sessions of groups such as Americans for Prosperity and FreedomWorks. There, he spent endless hours talking policy and cultivating relationships with grassroots bloggers and Tea Party activists.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

So you’re happy with the current GOP establishment? Interesting! I’m not, and there are millions more who certainly are not happy with the GOP.

TTP agenda is to reclaim the GOP. If that doesn’t happen you will see the two-party system fracture (not entirely a bad thing IMO). I’m all for an actual TEA PARTY to compete against the Repubs and Dems but the groundwork simply isn’t in place yet.

I don’t care what polls say…this next election will be true test. If TP candidates win big challenging establishment types as they did in 08’ and 10' then I call that a success.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

So you’re happy with the current GOP establishment? Interesting! I’m not, and there are millions more who certainly are not happy with the GOP.

TTP agenda is to reclaim the GOP. If that doesn’t happen you will see the two-party system fracture (not entirely a bad thing IMO). I’m all for an actual TEA PARTY to compete against the Repubs and Dems but the groundwork simply isn’t in place yet.

I don’t care what polls say…this next election will be true test. If TP candidates win big challenging establishment types as they did in 08’ and 10' then I call that a success.

The poll that really counts will take place November 6, 2012.

I see a repeat of the November 2010 election.

Obama called it a shellacking.

------------
I see a big win at the White House, US Senate and the House.

I hope the GOP gets 60 seats in the US Senate.
edit on 1-8-2012 by Eurisko2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

But, by your own logic, the GOP is also behind Cruz, since at least one superPAC who donated millions to him (FreedomWorks) has direct connections to the GOP old guard.

Freedomworks supports candidates who promote TP conservative values:

Less government…

Lower taxes…

More freedom…

“Like the structure of the Tea Party movement itself, the Freedom Platform uses a model of decentralization to unite a powerful grassroots constituency around a set of ideas while allowing every individual to play a part in the process,” commented Russ Walker, National Political Director of FreedomWorks. “In recent years, the Tea Party movement has turned the political playing field upside down. It’s no longer candidates telling taxpayers what they need- it’s about taxpayers telling candidates what they believe.”

Walker added, “We believe the Tea Party movement is a powerful grassroots constituency that can make or break the success of Republican candidates in November, and our cooperation with the RNC is a clear sign that the Republican establishment is starting to understand that reality as well. We are very excited to serve as an intermediary between the RNC and the hundreds of thousands of fiscal conservative grassroots activists who demand their voices be heard this election cycle.”

link

That doesn't sound like a pro-neocon GOP group to me!

If you think that Freedomworks is in the tank for the neocons then you’re mistaken. They’ve spent a lot of money over the years supporting people who were running against neocon GOP candidates.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I have seen the tea party spend more money campaigning against other republicans than democrats. If you think this is good, more power to ya.

I'm among the 51% of Americans that has a unfavorable view of the tea party. I have seen no signs of smaller government, lower taxes [except for the wealthy and corporations) and more freedoms.

The tea party strategy is to flood outside money into local races.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire
I have seen the tea party spend more money campaigning against other republicans than democrats. If you think this is good, more power to ya.

I'm among the 51% of Americans that has a unfavorable view of the tea party. I have seen no signs of smaller government, lower taxes [except for the wealthy and corporations) and more freedoms.

The Tea Party firepower is alive and thriving in Wisconsin and Texas !

Remember the Gov. Scott Walker recall election?

Gov. Sarah Palin has the - Golden Touch -.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Freedomworks supports candidates who promote TP conservative values:

Less government…

Lower taxes…

More freedom…

That doesn't sound like a pro-neocon GOP group to me!

No, it doesn.t Rhetoric is like that. Anyone can say they are for 'freedom'. It's empty words. The reality, tho is very different. As ive already pointed out (and you've chosen to ignore) is that many of these 'tea party candidates' they support have voted for bigger government and more wars. Look beyond the rhetoric. Jim DeMint, one of Cruz's biggest GOP supporters voted for NDAA, as just one small example.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Unlike the complete failure of OWS to achieve anything despiter being pumped and puffed relentlessly by a sympatheic media - the Tea Party has gone from protest to organised action and created a nationwide grassroots movement to remove progressive corrupt politicians from office and replace them with real ones. Naturally the media ignore this except to try and portray the Tea Party as the instrument of 'big business'.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

That would only happen in red areas where the only real threat was the GOP candidate. Those wouldn’t be hotly contested races against the democrat challenger.

I'm among the 51% of Americans that has a unfavorable view of the tea party.

I’m aware of that!

You like the status quo….more power to ya!

I have seen no signs of smaller government, lower taxes [except for the wealthy and corporations) and more freedoms.

That’s because those congressmen who are affiliated with or endorsed by TTP are few in numbers. They’ve blocked some key spending forcing Boehner out of a ridiculous $4 trillion spending spree. They also blocked Obama’s “DREAM ACT” which would have resulted in amnesty for millions. They’re blocking things from the so-called right as well as the left that would result in billions more in spending.

I’ll take positive effort over inaction any day.

No, their strategy is to flood congress with conservatives….and that takes money.

Ask RP!

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Jim DeMint, one of Cruz's biggest GOP supporters voted for NDAA, as just one small example.

Some of them have strayed…no doubt. You’d rather bag on TTP as a whole than work to fix it though, so you have no credibility.

TTP is doing more for conservatives than any other group. They’re being proactive and trying to fix the problems in our country. What’s your plan?? Should we cry like babies, break windows and hold signs like the Occupy movement? How much have they accomplished? Should we abandon TTP because DeMint is a fraud??

I’m a little amazed that because things don’t go exactly as planned some people are ready to throw their hands up.

You seem to be pleased with the RINO's in the GOP so there’s not much more I can say. Obviously you're not a conservative and obviously you want the status quo because you're bagging on the only group accomplishing anything.

<<   2  3 >>

join