It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A wild and crazy suggestion for ATS!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I've been catching up on threads I've got posts in and reading through to check for replies I need to attend to when I came across an idea mentioned very much in passing by the look of it, but it got me to thinking. I'll leave out details of the thread because the whole source of the idea came from fighting and something moving a bit beyond debate as it was.

However, that is the basis for the idea. The member who mentioned it seemed new by stats and why not for such an interesting concept.

Why not have some formal approach for members to "Call Out" one another when disagreements have reached a point of being hot, but not yet into the stage of permanent damage done? I mean this in formal way, not in some half baked confrontation staged for amusement. The basic idea being a place for a One-on-One debate between the two members who have the serious conflict for positions on something.

I wouldn't foresee this being appropriate very often or a solution that would even appeal to members in many cases. However, it's always a shame when a debate among established members gets out of hand and neither side in that case is going anywhere. We're all going to be together on the same site next month and quite possibly next year. An avenue to 'Settle' matters would seem to be worth considering. If not a debate venue, as appropriate and needed, then something else to achieve the same end result?

The end result I'd see trying to accomplish is very simple. Simply an option and a way to avoid debating to arguing, arguing to fighting and fighting to hard feelings that sometimes last for the long term. It's not an idea fit for every situation but perhaps enough situations for the idea to fit, to make it worth running up the pole for consideration?

What does everyone think and how could such a thing be implemented if Staff agreed with the broad outline?

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Well, if one wanted to, you could offer a formal debate to the member you are disagreeing with.

We already have the Debate Forum set up.

All you would need to do is both get "Fighter" status if you don't already and u2u the correct Moderator with the topic and members and it can be arranged.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I guess the easiest and most effective way for this to be implemented would be a quick access/quick invite 1v1 chatroom. Maybe with view only access for other interested members to view the heated quick fire debate.

This would be cool.. but whether it would better the situation or worsen it I have no idea.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05
Well, if one wanted to, you could offer a formal debate to the member you are disagreeing with.

All you would need to do is both get "Fighter" status if you don't already and u2u the correct Moderator with the topic and members and it can be arranged.

I believe Wrabbit means something more personal, private and instant than the debate forum?

Please correct me if I am wrong Wrabbit.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I can think of a situation where I'm still debating on calling someone out for a recent posting and am inwardly debating the wisdom of doing so.

However is your idea to move the debate to a non-lethal area, only to require umpteen links back to the original post/ posts/ or thread that instigated the callout? If such would be the end result, then I am hard pressed to be optimistic as to its outcome or efficiency.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
an ATS Thunderdome...

Nice wrabbit, S&F.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
an ATS Thunderdome...

Nice wrabbit, S&F.

It'd be like a gladiator arena for the intellect

I would be up for it and it would be cool to watch other peoples showdowns.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique

Originally posted by enjoies05

I believe Wrabbit means something more personal, private and instant than the debate forum?

Please correct me if I am wrong Wrabbit.

Indeed, I was thinking something similar to that but, as you note, more personal and immediate to move into when things are flaring.

Although frankly, I just intend to ofer the concept for others to help me develop into an idea. There has to be a way to meet the end goal without all the long term hard feelings which seem to be more and more common for the outcomes on hard debate threads.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
If I may, the chat system would be another aspect to consider for venue between the folks who are moving into conflict on a topic. That would be immediate to give a place for the focused debate, where both sides feel it's worth moving to.

As an added feature to that approach, it wouldn't lend itself to Google experts or people who are simply quick on researching what they don't know. That atmosphere would be unforgiving in a real time way and very quickly show who is prepared and well informed to their subject and who is catching up on the run. In a case where the members facing off are both well informed and educated to the topic, I could envision on occasional session to beat most TV shows while accomplishing the end goal in a productive way.

Moderation would be required, of course...and audience participation would need blocked or limited pretty severely to prevent a mob scene in a chat room.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Coming from exsperience, if I could, I'd like a big "Let's agree to disagree" reply button, to be used when you think further communication could be detrimental.

I like that idea

edit on 1-8-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
Coming from exsperience, if I could, I'd like a big "Let's agree to disagree" reply button, to be used when you think further communication could be detrimental.

I like that idea

edit on 1-8-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

You know, if my suggested idea goes no further than adding to the list of other ideas to come and go, your suggestion should be seriously designed and implemented as a stand alone.

I'd almost say it warrants it's own thread, but it does tie directly into my own concerns and issue I'm thinking of ways to suggest solutions for.

A great deal would be accomplished with nothing more than that one button you recommend. I'd have used it at least 3 times in the last week alone and made a far better exit than the awkward note to explain the button's message, or vanishing from a thread abruptly with the mixed signals that gives. Thanks for the addition! !

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Is a pretty nify idea aye? Let's see where this thread goes

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Coming from exsperience, if I could, I'd like a big "Let's agree to disagree" reply button, to be used when you think further communication could be detrimental. I like that idea

I like that idea, moving a hot discussion somewhere will just make things worse imho. People need to chill and get some perspective sometimes.

new topics

top topics

join