It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have to close my bussiness. I am angrier than I am sad.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+64 more 
posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Yeah,

I have to close. I have been a waiter since I was 17. I was one of the few that actually liked being a waiter. Celebrating birthdays with people, weddings, anniversaries. All of it. I am good at it too. It is not as easy as throwing food on a table and being fake with people. I learned it inside and out and long story short, I found myself in Spain with my savings and a shot at a little business.

I have a little cafe /bar in Spain. You may or may not know that things are pretty bad here. Well starting Sept. there will be a global tax hike here in the neighborhood of 21%. We are a society suffering vast unemployment and social upheaval.

I can't start charging my customers more. They are at their limit and I might as well just close. I am trying to sell the business off before I am out so I don't lose so much before I move back to the US. I was planning to anyways but this limits my asking price. If I want out, I have to do so at a loss.

What gets me is that I really don't have anywhere else to go. Yeah I could go home and start over again. Working 15 hours and saving like a mad man...but for what? Not like they won't just take it all away again.

I am very frustrated and it is starting to show. Bills suck no matter what, but they hurt more now a days because we are all screwed. I go home....and I will pay what I don't feel is justified. I will pay for security costs, interest on debt that I had nothing to do with, ect.

I am at the point in my life that I just don't see the point in building up wealth so that 20 or 30 years from now another artificially induced crash comes and they take it all away again.

I wanted to go back to the US and join the Army. I had already started the process and was ready to talk to a recruiter to set up a time table of when I might be able to enlist. That was my secret joy that kept me going. I thought, well screw money, my family is not so hooked on material things that we could do fine with what I would be making.

Then I saw the general attitude of people back home. I remembered why I left and It killed me. I will not serve a farce of a government that catches criminals utterly destroying our country and then do nothing about it. I will not serve when I can't vote, well, I could like I could play the lotto. It is as much a pipe dream as a 1 in a billion shot goes towards making a difference.

I don't know. I have a great kid and a beautiful wife. They support me in anything I do. It's great. I don't want to do them wrong. I was thinking to just suck it up, compromise and forget my antiquated sense of honor. I could just forget that patriotism is a thing no one wants to touch with a 10 foot pole. Yeah because at some point they hijacked it and made it into what morons have in their heart instead of common sense in their brains.

I was raised to honor my country and my people. That pride is what gets you in trouble, but love of one's land and people are what built our society up to what it is. Loyal hardworking people who do their damndest and never give up.

I can't have that sense of community when I am the only one I know, with the occasional exception that doesn't carry weight beyond that moment that we are with each other.

So I am closing in 3 months I think ...maybe sooner. I am faced with the fact that this is all their fault. Banks, our leaders......our governments.....all of them. I run a tight ship. I don't waste money. I did nothing wrong. I can say that. I made money and invested it in my world. Like my father before me. The difference is that my generation dropped the ball and let things that were bad get exceptionally worse. Unbearable. Maybe I am too harsh on us. I don't think so. You can't act like a fool and not invite a bully into the mix. Strong people are respected. Pretty ken and Barbie dolls invite a mad dash for power. Victory by forfeiture.

Our leaders have ruined our world in the name of theft. Our captains of industry have raped our national wealth to death. There is little doubt. There is also little hope. No one with the wrong views makes into the thieves den that is our government. You can count on two hands how many loyal leaders we have and you will have fingers left over.

I am so pissed. I am broken hearted because I know that really, most don't care. Most people think it is normal. It drives me insane. Had this happened to any other generation, they would have not let it go on past another day.

Imagine the Vietnam era with the Fed scandal or the election fiascos we had. They would get their heads busted up but would not let it become their kids problem. Sadly they are all dead or tired. It is not their problem anymore its ours. We don't care because now it's dumb to be American or British or whatever. Now we are a global nothingness.

We are a screwed world. There really isn't anywhere to go. I think I might hold onto a small personal sense of honor, but all in all, I will not live with it as I have up to now. They can do what they want. I will find some quiet place to educate my kid on what I think I can. A place with decent schools where I think we can have a little for ourselves.

I know this. I will not faithfully pay taxes any more. If I can cheat the system I will. I will not preserve that honor. I will not cheat my neighbors, but if the government of the territory I live in lets its guard down, I will have a field day. They set quite the example and you know what, I am not better than them. I can play that game too.

I will never vote again. I will never be bothered for issues society has. Society doesn't have an identity to claim for itself so I don't feel loyalty to nothingness. I was a loyal American but I am not anymore. I will be loyal to the good people I know. Everyone else has to earn it. No more acts of kindness for ungrateful people. My own honor is not satisfying anymore. It is a cursed thing that gets me mocked and used. This world will grow dark and I don't care to keep the light burning for the blind.

I have no nationality and no want of one. In that sense they do win. They can decide what to call me when they make up their minds and readjust the borders to reflect the fantasy of global fake unity.

I am not white, but human. I am not north American, but a New Yorker. I am nothing. I will not build up wealth anymore like all my family has for a system out to get a free ride. The same way they mock the poor and ridicule them. The way they resent helping them and call them welfare addicts....I will not give them a free ride either.
They can suck at some other fools teet.

I don't know if I might still join the army. Not for the sense of honor that a soldier has or because it is something I always wanted to do since I had the use of reason. No. It will be a sacrifice to get marketable skills and get out before I have to make too many compromises. I don't know.

at this point I am considering the Spanish army. They at least don't really invade other countries for no reason all the time. It would kill me though to serve for them and not my country, but then again...I don't really have one. The USA doesn't exist anymore. It is a country readjusting to a new reality and I am still not sure that I will find it comparable to my core beliefs. I believe in democracy. I believe in national identity since it protects you form usurpers using you like useful idiots. When they decide I´ll check back to see if I like what they are offering.

I don't have anyone to talk to here besides my wife. She doesn't deserve extra stress. This helps.

I want to apologize to the mods and my fellow members too. I had a rough morning and went on a troll spree. My bad. I am not feeling like myself lately. Sorry.

thank you.

edit on 1-8-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Cool story bro.
Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.
edit on 2-8-2012 by Gemwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by BIHOTZ

Very well written thoughts my friend! As I always say, "I love my country, but I hate my government!". As for leaving Spain and coming back to the U.S., I wouldnt recommend it! The military is well trained to lock down all of our major cities and things here will be a total disaster when the banksters pull the plug on the U.S....

To join our military now? and I am a vet. wouldn't be a wise thing to do, considering the military of the U.S. has been taken over by the same globalists you speak of in your writings! It is a no win situation for you or your family.

Your not alone in your feelings of helplessness if that is of any consolation to you! Many of us here in the U.S. feel very much the same way!

I wish you and your family the best of luck in this coming NWO!

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Welcome to the club man. Our family bussiness was closed 4 months ago and it was no fault of our own. It sucks. This economy sucks and its only going to get WORSE!

Prepare for the collapse. Its coming....
edit on 1-8-2012 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by BIHOTZ

I don't know if I might still join the army. Not for the sense of honor that a soldier has or because it is something I always wanted to do since I had the use of reason. No. It will be a sacrifice to get marketable skills and get out before I have to make too many compromises. I don't know.

I sympathize with your situation, but exactly what marketable skills were you planning to get out of the military..? And why the Army, rather than the Air Force..? You aren't going in to do anything High-speed, so you might as well join the branch with the best environment as well as available skill sets...

You appear confused as well as ill-prepared for the next step...do some more research before making a decision, as you seem to be settling.

Good luck...

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by BIHOTZ

BIHOTZ,
Sorry to here that bro. I wish you and your family the best.

Think twice about coming home. It's a disaster here, and it's my understanding that our corporate tax is going up to 38%, not sure though. Things are only getting worse here and they are destroying the small business owners over here.
Anyway, here's wishing you much success.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by BIHOTZ

lost my business 3 yrs ago I feel ya,
America is right behind you, again we will feel the same pain.

stay alive, chin up!!

beans and rice are pretty cheap

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
What a courageous thing to do, go to another country and start a business. I really admire that. I can hear the pain and frustration, and I agree with your assessment of how things are and how they got this way.

If you join any army it might be that you end up having to defend the governments you hate against their own people, Spain or US, think that might not be what you have in mind. I would think strongly about Canada and going off-grid. There are many here who live in such situations who might be willing to help you get started. If your strong and able bodied, there are things you could do to support yourself and your family.

I wish the very best for you and your family. Your not alone.
edit on 1-8-2012 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
i too am a small business owner so i know how it is and it aint gettin any better here my friend. may i suggest you look into some decent country's for doing business in, perhaps Iceland would be a candidate, at least they are working in the right direction. good luck in whatever you decide, but i'm sure someone like you will make a good go of it anywhere you find yourself.
edit on 1-8-2012 by LittleBlackEagle because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement.

I took a VERY long walk today to clear my head. Its funny. I just got on a bus and got off when I was far enough away that I didn't know where I was almost. I didn't really think about it until we passed through a tunnel. lol. I walked all the way home practically and I have my head much more in its place. It was nice coming home to all the well wishes. It kind of brought me full circle.

Again, thanks guys. This was really filling. You guys rock.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by BIHOTZ

I was a bussiness man in texas,and since 2005 things went from bad to worse,i struggle for the next 5 years when i finally give up,its a position not too great,i didnt know what to do everithing was stress nothing was like it was before,and my courage was so dominish that i just dont want to figth no more.My first thought was to just start over but this time be more judgemental.Its a big hit,painful,the customers are gone the people that you trusted are no longer there because,when you loose the business you loosethem too.Having a business is just the ones person story forget about involving someone else , is something like you against the world.When you in the top,you are the king,when you down theres a lot of scavengers,nobody sees the person anymore.I can understand in part your position,as inmmigrant its hard.The economic plan is not gonna be fixable anytime soon so we went to the ice age alltogether.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I live in Spain for the last 14 years.

I came here because it was such a relaxed and enjoyable place. I have seen so many of my friends come and go. Lose their business,families and self respect. Some through their own mistakes and some through circumstances.

No matter how tough things were here, we always had a lovely climate and a relativley high standard of life for low cost. A low crime rate so you always felt safe and secure which is a big difference from alot of places in the world.

But in the last 4 years things have changed. The cost of living has gone through the roof. Taxes, electricity, water, transport is increasing so fast that we will have to be multi millionaires just to run a household within a few years. But the spanish people are getting frustrated and annoyed. Crime is on the rise and social unrest is rearing its ugly head. It has only been a couple of decades since they gained their independence and it feels to them like they are losing it again. Troubled times lay ahead in the next few months!!

Sorry for the ramble OP. I feel your pain as a fellow ex-pat. I am somewhat in the same boat as you. The grass usually looks greener on the other side but this time it looks brown just like here. I have a given up everything to be here and choices are limited. Do I have the energy or want to start all over again in a different country?

You have your family who supports you!! That is worth more than its weight in gold. I constantly have to remind myself that there is opportunity in every crisis......now its just a matter of focusing and finding it as I believe that there are still alot of opportunities here in Spain.

I am on the CDS. So if you are around here and fancy a chat and coffee please send me a U2U.

I wish you all the "suerte" one can have amigo

Irish Matador

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheProphetMark
Cool story bro.

Wait till the shoe of misery is on your foot...

Maybe then you'll realize you should have shoved it into your mouth before you typed.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
can't you avoid paying the 21% tax.

i mean you own a little cafe that what must be nearly all cash.

taxes is one thing, but strangers take a giant chunk of your hard work is wrong, regardless of what they choose to call it.

is your problem less people going to your cafe. then you can't help that. but if you're going under, you've got nothing to lose.

don't declare a thing, i doubt a little cafe is high on spains tax radar.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

nope cant do that,I mean besides the fact that I am literally down the street form all the cities main offices and this is the capital of my providence....I cant slip under the radar.

They still come, I actually have a good client base.People are broke man. Even if they work, everyone has some one they are helping. You cant have this much unemployment and not choke your consumption.

The last thing you do in the situation we are in is raise taxes. They should eliminate taxes on business all together, big business at least. Just to stimulate growth again. A steady pace over a long term fixed low rate is what Spain should have asked for. Instead now Germany controls our finances. Yeah.....basically.

Our bailout was literally selling the country to the banks who surrendered ownership along with responsibility to the central government. In this case, Germany. Merkel played the part of being duped by Italy and Spain. The news hailed them as having hit a home run for us. Really they agreed to make life a living hell for their people and in short measure give fiscal authority to Germany.

That is why I don't believe in global unity. Germany controls Europe in the long run, and this time they traded another WW for a series of possible uprisings of little to no consequence. The guys at city hall down the street from me have to ask each other "what are they protesting today", for which we have all heard the answer
"who cares, there is little point, or my favorite, who are we to do anything".

The tax hike is just the beginning. It will go up more than double that according to what economist here are saying even publicly at this point.

The message from the government is that European membership and all that it entails takes precedence over all internal state responsibilities. It is up to the citizenry to do for themselves what they can because "measures" have to be taken that no one will like. But must do.

So I am not liking the sounds of that. I would rather be the hell out of Europe before things carry out to their logical conclusion....."Go". At least I would be with my own.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Irish Matador

yeah man. Too True. The republican flag flies now for major events. People are talking fighting words and are settling with the idea of open conflict. I am up north in Asturias. The miners here and from all over are getting into physical engagements with`police and the civil guard, well organized on both sides.

We are seeing a change of style of protest since a couple years ago to now that is increasingly Para military in its influence. Defensive and offensive tactics from protest organizers.....I don't like it man. We are very hot blooded.

we have patatas bravas for brains lately....lol

Hey man if you are ever around up north hit me up. I´ll do the same.

take care bro.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
HEY! OP! I opened a restaraunt here in the U.S., and all I have left is this Cool T SHirt that cost me about $300grand.
I LOVE to wear that shirt to remind me to stay humble after rebounding. The crash was BRUTAL!

The realization that I failed hurt me financially,emotionally and almost cost me my family.

A 21% increase in taxes doesn't seem logical. Even for Spain. Hehe

This will not be comforting by me saying I was THERE and I understand. How are the other restaraunts going to be able to absorb a 21% tax increase? What's the plan?

And too bad they don't have the TV Show with the guy with Big Arms, or the Brit that yells at everyone to do restaraunt makeovers.
I "think" you may have bigger problem beside the 21%.
But I could be wrong.

I KNOW how and why I failed. For ME? It was a blessing. An actual silver lining in my life. (Not at the time.horrific)

Rebuilding wealth is even harder then building it the first time from scratch. (I was born a poor white kid like Steve Martin in the movie the Jerk)

If you had the balls to run a business once, you'll be able to recover and do it again if you want to.

Good luck.

OH and by definition, You are just stubborn if you stay and keep at something and fail, but you had "TENACITY" if you stayed and succeeded. I was called stubborn. LOL.

This too shall pass.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   

edit on 1-8-2012 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
If possible, I'd stay in Spain. Move to the country, embrace the simple peasant style life. Do things with the land, grow stuff, have chickens, ducks, goats. Learn how to find joy in simplicity, the outdoors. Forgo glitz & glamour. Buy a cheap old car, buy a small home with land or rent the same. Foster community with your neighbours for we will all need it in the coming years. Learn how to preserve food, butcher, make cured meat, keep seeds.

You are in a country that like many European nations has strong traditional ties with food & all things to do with it's growing & preserving. Find the old folks, they will know how to do this stuff & they will hand this skill to you with joy because the young ones don't want to know. This is how you will find true wealth, safety, happiness & security for you & your family. Oh, & if you have some $ now, buy precious metals, the real stuff you can hold in your hand. Hide it well, where you can get to it. Do it very soon. You can convert it later to $ when you need to make purchases. In the coming months & years we will all be amazed at how high precious metals will go.

All the best, & something I heard an Indian fellow say;

"How can god fill up you hand if it is not empty first?"
edit on 1-8-2012 by CarpenterMatt because: Correction

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
sorry you are going through a hard time,, you took the bus and had a good walk home,, sounds like you cleared your head a little and are feeling better...we are here for you...hope thing get better for you..

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join