It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Modern Culture 44,000 Years Ago: Human Behavior, as We Know It, Emerged Earlier Than Previously Thou

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Recouper

Sorry if I came across a little confrontational, I really didn't mean to... I was just enthusiastic over the subject of your op.

Nah, you're fine!!.

I'm glad you were enthused, I was too. I even debated myself whether to post it or not, cuz compared with stuff like Slayer and AA do, it's not hardly twaddle.

I'm hyper-interested in this stuff, and after reading your post I went into research mode. Honestly, I'm still not sure why they're saying it's the oldest "Modern Culture"...
another article on that site discusses the San people as having branched off on their own some 130,000 years ago...

The main finding of the study, published Sept. 18 in Nature Genetics, is that the San, an indigenous group of hunter gatherers from southern Africa, diverged from other human populations earlier than previously thought -- about 130,000 years ago. In comparison, the ancestors of modern Eurasian populations migrated from Africa only about 50,000 years ago.
Using Human Genomes to Illuminate the Mysteries of Early Human History From Sept of last year....

Plus, in doing a "history of human culture" search, I know they have found stone spear and arrow heads that ARE millions of years old...so, what is different about this find?
so, I'm confused now, too!!

Perhaps one of our resident experts can explain why they've titled their article this way.

(Had that extra coffee, and it's stopped raining, but I'm still foggy --
)

What context are they referring to?

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Thanks a lot for all the replies and answers. I just posted the "bedding" stuff just as another thing showing our evolution. Though, when I was talking about ancient human ancestors, I meant from like a few million years back to around a couple hundred thousand, I think modern humans came around the 200,000 - 175,000ish area is what is mostly accepted now. Though these things can change a lot, growing up I don't even remember the age of humans even being remotely close to that number haha.

Also, I do agree with you in believing in continental drift, we can actually observe it happening as the years pass ourselves. I think like the average drift for a continent is just an inch a year or something. I found a link with a lesser timeline of it, it only goes back to 150 million years, but even at that point it is already somewhat broken up.
Continental Drift

With your map you showed me was intriguing, but the oldest one only goes back 9000 BP which is very recent in the overall scheme of things. Any kind of artifacts found dated earlier than that, have been all found in Africa. Though, I'll have to do some research on the places you mentioned.

And lastly, I really would like to see the article you found about an "industrial complex" being found 2.5 million years ago. I never heard anything about that, and I feel like that would be huge news around the world if it was. We might fight crude tools that are over a 100,000 years old, but I just have my reserves on the whole idea. I feel like if there were more advance civilizations around the world in prehistoric times then we would have found a lot more by now. Who knows though, that is why I keep an open mind and I'll check more into the places you mentioned.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join