It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AK 54R Dragunov Style Carbine

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by METACOMET

I think almost all shooting should be done semi auto or one round at a time. Shooting in bursts is stupid. If you can shoot fine you don't need full auto unless you are trying to keep people pinned down or an elephant is charging you.

I'm with you on the Mosin. Great gun. Easy to operate. ALthough the bolt is pretty stiff and can cut your fingers up a little. But who cares. I say its a great gun. I would trust it with full confidence if I had to stand off with it against people 400 to 200 yards away. It'll get the job done!

Once went to meet and greet range shoot out. Everybody who brought a mosin all lined up like a colonial rifle brigade in the revolutionary war and took tuns all firing at the count of three at night for some really cool pics. Imagine 15 guys with Mosins all lined up shooting at once with 2 foot fireballs spitting out the front of the rifles. Pretty Sweet.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by xXxinfidelxXx
reply to post by buddhasystem

A Dragunov is basically just a Kalashnikov derivative (calling it an RPK derivative is inaccurate as the RPK is an AK derivative itself) that is built with tighter tolerances and in some cases, even a free-floated barrel.

You are wrong. By the way, I've used a SVD, a real army issue AK-47 and AK-74. I do know that the RPK is derived from the AK, I did a field strip on both numerous times, the Romanian sniper rifle is closer to RPK wrt barrel length.

link

First and foremost, the SVD is NOT based on an AK47. However, popular culture(games and movies) depict otherwise due to the exterior looks.

link

Its bolt mechanism and gas recovery system are similar to those of the AK and AKM

link

Oh, and for the short of it, nothing is cross compatible. Nothing.

Yeah completely different animals. The SVD resembles the AK series in appearance only. Different gas system etc.etc.

edit on 1-8-2012 by buddhasystem because: (no reason given)

Indeed - as a former SF Officer I can weigh in they are not compatible. Also, my experience with the SVD was that it was a crap weapon. Granted the one we had was "liberated" and not in very good conditions. I am speaking of compared to the AK which fires like a champ regardless of the condition it is in. I suppose one out of the box would be better and more accurate. I suspect the rifling was worn in the one we had and thus affected spin/accuracy. But then again, I am an officer and certainly no weapons sergeant. I would say it was my #ty shooting but neither of my sniper trained guys could hit # beyond 300 meters with it either.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I was thinking about buying a Russian scoped PSL, since the Russian scopes have one of the best human sized rangefinders on the planet, but I thought twice when I saw one used on our range. Its the ejection of the shells that causes a problem, unless you have a barrier to stop the spent shells from hitting fellow shooters staged on the right side of the ejection port. The spent shells come out of the ejection port at about 90 degrees at high velocity, somewhat different than a regular AK/AKM; but a much more bothersome trajectory to fellow shooters.

I still admire the PSL...and would love to own one.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Golf66
Indeed - as a former SF Officer I can weigh in they are not compatible. Also, my experience with the SVD was that it was a crap weapon. Granted the one we had was "liberated" and not in very good conditions.

Ah but that matters. I used one which was in a relatively babied condition, it was good. What didn't you like? Precision or did it jam?

I am speaking of compared to the AK which fires like a champ regardless of the condition it is in. I suppose one out of the box would be better and more accurate. I suspect the rifling was worn in the one we had and thus affected spin/accuracy. But then again, I am an officer and certainly no weapons sergeant. I would say it was my #ty shooting but neither of my sniper trained guys could hit # beyond 300 meters with it either.

I'm not a good shooter at all but I've hit targets (barely) at 400m with an AK-74 which again was in top-notch condition (and certainly manufactured in the Soviet Union, not a knock-off which you might have been dealing with).

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Ah but that matters. I used one which was in a relatively babied condition, it was good. What didn't you like? Precision or did it jam?

Shot groups were really off it seemed. I can get consistent groups with most weapons 1-2 inches. Again, I would say it was me but our snipers were getting large groups. We'd get two and the third would be way off. The hotter it got the worse the groups as well.

I'm not a good shooter at all but I've hit targets (barely) at 400m with an AK-74 which again was in top-notch condition (and certainly manufactured in the Soviet Union, not a knock-off which you might have been dealing with).

No, I was primarily talking about the SVD - I have never had a problem getting good groups with an AK. I like the 74 as well. I personally have a "liberated" AK which is a soviet model and probably from the late 70's according to my weapons sergeant. I have put some new parts in there I love it and if I could have only one battle rifle it would be the one.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join