It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Keep Your Eyes on the Ebola Outbreak

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sundowner
I personally think don't think this means that this is "all over" but I do think that it means that things are more under control...thankfully. If the Ugandan government doesn't have it's crayons together, at least MSF/WHO/CDC does.

Joaquim Saweka, the WHO representative in Uganda, told reporters Friday that everyone known to have had contact with Ebola victims has been isolated — a total of 176 people.

And here is the link to the Washington Post: WHO official says outbreak of Ebola in Uganda is under control

I'll take Mr. Saweka's word for it. But when I see this:

“The structure put in place is more than adequate,” Saweka said. “We are isolating the suspected or confirmed cases.”

"is more than adequate" strikes me as being a bit too self-assured and vain.

When I read that I immediately pictured our still-developing Ebola disaster movie....

The WHO official is making this statement to the crowd of eager reporters as the scene changes to a hut somewhere on the edge of the jungle, the hollow words of his speech still echo in the background. A young teenage girl is lying on a cot, sweating profusely with a high fever. She looks up at her worried mother, when a painful grimace crosses her face and she begins violently coughing. As her mother rushes to hold her in her arms, the camera pans down to the floor. A small puddle of blood begins to form by the mother's foot as it runs down the side of the cot...

Roll Credits...

Dex

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Possible containment failure............

www.cnn.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Longshots

Here is a map showing different outbreaks.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by imagineering
Possible containment failure............

www.cnn.com...

Well this morning it was 176 people on the contact list, now that number has increased to 312. And there is a possible case in Kenya. And they expect that number to increase further:

"We do expect the number of suspected cases to increase," Kyamanywa said.

Of course Mr. Saweka has to put in his 2 cents:

"I would like to stress that the disease is under control," said Joaquim Saweka, the World Health Organization representative to Uganda.

Saweka is starting to sound like Baghdad Bob.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by tw0330

The Hot Zone is full of a lot of inaccuracies.

I'm not saying you are incorrect here, but I would be interested to know what is incorrect within the book.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by tw0330

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by tw0330

The Hot Zone is full of a lot of inaccuracies.

I'm not saying you are incorrect here, but I would be interested to know what is incorrect within the book.

For one, I was told by one of the technicians that there was no breach of the bio suit, that it was added as sensationalism. He was pretty animated about it.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by DexterRiley

This is just a comment added from an email update from my medical list:

"Through the mist of alarmist reporting it seems that the outbreak remains confined to the Kibaale District of Uganda. - Mod.CP" 4 Aug 2012

Added - just from personal observation of ebola characteristics over the last 15 years or so, the outbreak will suddenly "disappear". Let's hope this outbreak follows the same pattern.
edit on 4-8-2012 by zaggan because: additional comment

Please everyone, I'm sharing this link so that you will have the latest updates on any emerging disease/outbreak anywhere in the world. Hate to give out my sources, but I think knowledge that is reliable in this day and age is important to us all. I became part of this group in the 90's when the Reston Ebola event happened, and this group formed from the original website dealing with ebola back then, which ironically was called Outbreak.com.
edit on 4-8-2012 by zaggan because: added link

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by zaggan

Thanks for the link. I bookmarked that for further reading later. It's always good to have a source for accurate information. Unfortunately, because the MSM does such a horrible job of providing cogent information, I frequently find myself doing hours of in-depth research to get the real story.

I think my beef with Mr. Saweka was his pronouncement of having a "more than adequate" system in place to manage the outbreak. Perhaps he was unaware of how that statement might be parsed in the native English speaking world.

I tend to agree that this outbreak will just disappear, as they have in the past. The WHO/CDC also has a system in place to mitigate the spread of the disease, and they've had several opportunities to improve and perfect it. All of the data that I've seen indicates that once proper contamination containment procedures are implemented and the sick are isolated from the community while they are still in the early stages of symptom onset, the disease burns itself out.

Unfortunately this event may represent a failure scenario not adequately addressed in the WHO/CDC containment process. If this escaped prisoner is not located, and he tests positive for Ebola, he could be index[0] for the next phase of the outbreak. An escaped patient may be easier to locate and persuade to return to the hospital than an escaped prisoner. The escaped prisoner has a greater incentive to flee far from the prison and the hospital.

Just a few thoughts...

Dex

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to [url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread867087/pg5#pid14697035]post by zag

A research team that analyzed the strain of H3N8 influenza virus linked to a baby seal die-off in New England last year [2011, see ProMED-mail archived reports below] found that it originated in birds and has adapted to mammals, signalling a possible threat to humans and animals alike. The study, which appeared today [31 Jul 2012] in the mBio, the online journal of the American Society for Microbiology (ASM), also revealed mutations that are known to make flu viruses more transmissible and able to cause severe disease. [Anthony SJ, St Leger JA, Pugliares K, et al. Emergence of fatal avian influenza in New England harbor seals. mBio 31 Jul 2012, mbio.asm.org...]

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
While everyone is concentrating on Uganda, thought you might like to know about the other hemorrhagics popping up:

So far this year [2012], 13 people have been infected with the virus that causes [Bolivian] hemorrhagic fever and 7 died as a consequence of the disease. In Beni [department; state equivalent], 5 municipalities have high populations of _Calomys callosus_ mice [the reservoir host of Machupo virus. Mod.TY], the government stated.

A 30 year old man was hospitalized with a clinical picture of Argentine hemorrhagic fever. Fortunately, he is now out of danger

The department said Wednesday [25 Jul 2012] that the 36-year-old woman was admitted to a hospital 8 Jul [2012] with flu-like symptoms and died 2 days later. Tri-County Health says she had no serious underlying health conditions. Health officials say she most likely was exposed to hantavirus while cleaning a rodent-infested area of her home. This is the 3rd case of [a] hantavirus [infection] this year [2012] in Colorado.

Outbreak of Influenza A (H3N2) Virus Among Persons and Swine at a County Fair ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- During 12-16 Jul 2012, the Indiana State Department of Health and the Indiana Board of Animal Health identified respiratory illness among swine and persons at a county fair held 8-14 Jul 2012. On 16 Jul 2012, specimens were collected from 4 persons with respiratory illness; 2 had become ill on 12 Jul 2012 and sought care at an emergency department, and 2 were identified as part of the subsequent public health investigation. All 4 persons were swine exhibitors or family members of swine exhibitors and had close contact with swine

I write to report the reemergence of chikungunya [virus disease] in Sierra Leone. After 34 years since it was last reported in 1978, chikungunya has resurfaced in Sierra Leone in the city of Bo. This comes exactly 8 years after it resurfaced in Kenya in 2004. 25 febrile patients with polyathragia, reported to be severe in the elderly, are IgM positive for chikungunya virus (CHIKV). The chikungunya virus (CHIKV) is a single-stranded RNA virus belonging to the Simliki virus antigenic complex with similar clinical features with o'nyong'nyong virus, Ross River virus and the viruses that cause eastern equine encephalitis and western equine encephalitis

Date: Fri 20 Jul 2011 Source: The Times of India, Ahmedabad [edited] articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com... Congo fever has killed seven in state: Govt ------------------------------- Crimean-Congo Haemorrhagic Fever (CCHF) has claimed 7 lives in Gujarat. And according to the state government, about 18 people have been affected by CCHF. Replying to a question from Vadodara City MLA [Member of the Legislative Assembly] Bhupendra Lakhawala, the government said that after an incubation period of one to 3 days following a tick bite, flu-like symptoms appear, which may resolve in a week. In up to 75 per cent of cases, however, signs of haemorrhage appear 3 to 5 days after the onset of the illness if it is not contained [treated?] properly. Officials said that symptoms characterising the initial stage of CCHF include mood instability, agitation, and mental confusion. Other signs are nosebleed, bloody urine vomiting, and black stools.
www.promedmail.org...

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by tw0330
reply to post by Longshots

any news as to which of the original strains this is related to?

It's the Ebola Sudan strain which means that they have a 50% chance of surviving it if they get to an appropriate medical facility for treatment. If it had been one of the other strains then there'd be a 90% death rate and only a 10% chance of surviving.

Emergency Message for U.S. Citizens

U.S. Embassy Kampala, Uganda
Emergency Message for U.S. Citizens
Confirmed Case of Ebola Virus in Uganda
July 28, 2012
This Emergency Message is to alert U.S. citizens residing and traveling in Uganda of an outbreak of Ebola virus. On July 27, 2012, local Ugandan press reported 12 deaths due to a “strange illness.” Laboratory tests conducted by the Uganda Virus Research Institute and the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have confirmed, to date, that at least one victim was infected with the Ebola virus (Sudan strain).

Ebola Uganda 2012 Tracking from Flutrackers, page 1

Have you seen this 9 page tracking of articles that they have on Flutrackers, tracking Ebola? They've got quite a circus going on with the way that they are handling the outbreak in Uganda. And everyday during the circus, WHO and others keep lying and claiming that they have "contained" the outbreak, or that it's under "control", then more suspected cases keep popping up everywhere and all parties seem to be lying about the number of cases.

I'll highlight some of the points from various articles:

Investigators took nearly a month to confirm Ebola's presence in Uganda this year. In Kibaale, a district with 600,000 residents, some villagers started abandoning their homes to escape what they thought was an illness caused by bad luck. One family lost nine members, and a clinical officer and her 4-month-old baby died from Ebola, Byaruhanga said.
D.K. Lwamafa, of Uganda's Ministry of Health, told reporters on Saturday that one Ebola patient from Kibaale had been referred to the national hospital in the capital but had then died in Kibaale

Ebola Uganda 2012 Tracking from Flutrackers, page 4

As far as I can tell going through all the articles (9 pages of articles) deaths from Ebola have occurred in the villages of:
• Nyanswiga
• Kibaari
• Kisindiizi
• Burunzi
• Kenga
• Nyamarunda
• Nyamugusa
• Ngerebwe
• Waihembe

No travel ban to Ebola affected areas - Govt
Publish Date: Aug 01, 2012
Health minister Dr. Christine Ondoa has said the government has not imposed a travel ban in the districts affected by Ebola virus.

Uganda Government Sets Up National Task Force on Ebola

Then there's a whole thing in the tracking of articles where they start transporting dead bodies of those that died of Ebola from one district to another district. Meanwhile, each day WHO claims to have Ebola contained.

Then it goes from watching the villages to watching 7 districts.

The Ministry of Health is also investigating other 176 Ebola cases as the disease, spreads from Kibaale to other districts of Mubende, Ibanda, Isingiro, Mbarara, Ntungamo and Kampala.

Ebola: Parliament Bans Group Visits

Apparently the facilities for these ebola patients just aren't any good.

“The facilities are not okay,” says Steven Byaruhanga, the chairperson of the district Ebola taskforce. “The incinerators we don’t have… electricity is on and off, the pump for water is not functioning, the sewer system is also broken down, there’s so many problems.”

Ebola Tracking 2012: Uganda, page 7 from Flutrackers

Then the patients with suspect cases of ebola (not confirmed) start rioting.

Patients at the hospital reportedly rioted on Tuesday, protesting the lack of food and clean water, while vehicles provided by the Ministry of Health sat idle for lack of fuel.
-snip-

“There are so many cases reported but we could not move because there was no fuel,” Byaruhanga said.
“If we could get it, it could make the work so easy.”

Ebola: The Fatal Costs of a Slow Response

(cont.)

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by DexterRiley

Then ebola hits a prison and one of the prisoners suspected of having ebola escapes.

CNN: Prisoner with Suspected Ebola escapes from hospital in Uganda
From David McKenzie, CNN
updated 3:36 PM EDT, Fri August 3, 2012

Kagadi, Uganda (CNN) -- One of five prisoners receiving treatment for a suspected case of Ebola virus in Uganda escaped overnight Friday from the hospital at the center of the outbreak, a health official said.
"Should his results come back and he is positive, that causes us a lot of worry. So right now, we have resolved that the remaining prisoners will be cuffed on the beds for fear that they might also escape," said Dr. Jackson Amune, commissioner at the Ministry of Health.

The last count (when WHO, CDC, ECDC and Uganda all seem to be lying about the number of confirmed cases and number of suspected cases), was 398 contacts monitored for suspected ebola and an unknown amount of deaths somewhere above 27, with at least 36 in ebola isolation wards.

Doctors and nurses also going on strike at some of the hospitals in Uganda. Those with suspected cases are either in open wards or discharged back to their villages. No travel bans to the affected areas. Different reports of affected areas.

Then suspected cases being monitored in the countries of:
Dem Republic of the Congo (5 cases)

suspected cases in Kenya
suspected cases in Tanzania.

Uganda has quite a circus going on right now. I don't see how they could possibly have it contained if this is the kind of circus they have going on.

posted on Aug, 13 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Ebola - Uganda, Tanzania, Congo and Kenya showing at this time.

14 cases currently listed for the past 30 days

This webpage lists everything THEY have for the past 30 days. This by no means is indicative of its being complete as I believe they aggregate information from newssources.

outbreaks.globalincidentmap.com...

edit on 13/8/2012 by Trexter Ziam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I was reading through the flutrackers forum/thread that was linked to earlier and a user suggested that it (The cases in Congo) seemed to be reported over seven weeks or some such, so in effect that apparently seemed to be too long for a cluster of VHF/etc. I guess that we have to remember, that just because someone has bloody diarrhea does not mean they have a VHF.

The reporting is really confused, honestly. I had read that the two cases in Tanzania were not Ebola or Marburg or the like, for instance-though it seems some sources are still reporting that as such.

I personally trust to ProMED-mail for info because it seems level-headed, with out bias and scientific.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
As of yesterday:

9 Dead in DR Congo

Global Incident Map

When you click on the link, use the legend to show only Ebola.

When this thread was started, there were 4 triangles on the map. Now there are 16, and it apparently is spread straight across Africa.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join