It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gore Vidal, US writer and contrarian, dies aged 86

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Explanation: ...

One of the towering figures of American cultural and political life for more than six decades has died of complications from pneumonia.

Gore Vidal, US writer and contrarian, dies aged 86 (by Richard Lea guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 1 August 2012 07.41 BST) [guardian.co.uk]

The novelist, essayist, wit and contrarian Gore Vidal, one of the towering figures of American cultural and political life for more than six decades, has died of complications from pneumonia, aged 86.

Vidal died at his home in the Hollywood Hills in Los Angels at about 6.45pm on Tuesday, his nephew Burr Steers said. Vidal had been living alone in the home and had been sick for "quite a while", Steers said.

Winner of the National Book Award in 1993, Vidal's literary output was prodigious, with more than 20 novels, including the transsexual satire Myra Breckinridge, the black comedy Duluth, and a series of historical fiction charting the history of the United States. But his greatest work was, perhaps, his life itself – an American epic which sprawled beyond literature to encompass Hollywood, Broadway, Washington and the Bay of Naples, with incidental roles for almost every major American cultural and political figure of the 20th century. Vidal, who once said he had "met everyone, but knew no one", gave JFK the idea for the Peace Corps, was called in to rescue the script for Ben-Hur, ran unsuccessfully for both Congress and the Senate, and got into a fist-fight with Norman Mailer.

Please see linked article for the full story ok.

Personal Disclosure: Regardless of anyones Political affiliations, biases and or bents, ... Gore Vidal has left a marked impression on both the USA and the World at large. May he R.I.P!

What impressions did he leave on you?

edit on 1-8-2012 by OmegaLogos because: Edited to fix spelling.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Thanks for the news... I was influenced by his work since I
was a teenager. Could also credit him as one of the three
people to politically wake me up. For better or worse, his
take on the 'theatre' versus 'the agenda' had never been wrong.
I consider him also one of the coolest uncles I never had.
On Bush Jr..."At least Hitler had charisma."
How could you not love this guy?? Rest easy, mighty scribe.
I am honored to be the first to flag, and express another large,
sad emptiness in the army of truth.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by derfreebie

Explanation: St*rred!

Personal Disclosure: Thank you for your reply! I deeply appreciate it!

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

One of the great Anti-Imperialist's! Read: 'Against the Beast" for a sobering commentary on the dangers of our foreign policy.
On a side note, he got into a fist fight with Norman Mailer??!! I dont know why, but I found that humourous.

RIP you old curmudgeon.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by crawdad1914

Explanation: St*rred!

He knew his bruises etc. would only last a short while ... but his words would last forever!

Personal Disclosure: As I am an Australian, he gave me a deep insight to the psyche of the USA.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
RIP Mr Vidal
I read a good book by him in my youth called Julian. Sorry to see the guy go. He was a very good author.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I never had any use for...

Gore Vidal...

A seminal moment for him... Calling a conservative a "CryptoNAZI."

On a lighter note...

Colonel Gentleman was rather fond of Gore Vidal...

RIP, Gore Vidal...

new topics

top topics

join