It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The difference between Dem/Rep first ladies

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Has anyone noticed that Republican first ladies are better (yes I know that this is going to start a thermo-nuclear flame war
)?

I mean, lets take a look at the last two we have had. Hillary Clinton - perhaps the worst first lady in US history. Overbearing, obnoxious, rude - All come to mind when most people think of her.

I won't even get into Travelgate.

Hell, there are even whispers she had some people 'offed'.

Then, there is Laura Bush. The classic first lady - charming, gracious - basically the model of how a first lady should represent her country.

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Poeple don't vote for the first lady and those that take the "likefullness" of a first lady when casting their vote seem silly to me.

by the way, wouldn't you rather have a first lady that has a mind of her own and tells it like it is instead of a puppy that follows the leader around?

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Well I think Kerry's wife would be an embarrassment to the US, this is just my opinion.

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Teresa isnt "first lady material", I would say that Laura Bush IS. However, here we go again, to say that Democratic first ladies are not deserving and not classy enough is a lie.
All the democratic first ladies i've lived thru have had class, and as with ANY first lady from any party, they are polished some more and styled after they win the White House.

This doesnt have anything to do with being beautiful, since a plain Jane can have even more class than a fine looking chick in the white house.

So? Whats your point? R U saying Bush should retain the presidency because Laura can play her part better?

- Now that makes sense.

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
Has anyone noticed that Republican first ladies are better (yes I know that this is going to start a thermo-nuclear flame war
)?

Jackie Kennedy: Democrat.
Nancy Reagan: Republican.

'Nuff said.

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Kerry's wife is like a fine sports car.
Bush's wife is like a japanese import.

I think she would make a fine first lady with massive appeal to the rest of the world. The lady is intelligent and speaks her mind. Maybe some people like their women dumb and mute. I however do not.

I guess that's one of the reasons everyone hates Hillary Clinton and says she is the anti-christ.

Caveman days have long passed, women have rights now. I don't understand why people disagree with outspoken women so much nowadays. Democrats seem to like intelligent, outspoken women by their side in office. Republicans seem to like the little shy, prissy, don't say a word type women.

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Teresa isnt "first lady material", I would say that Laura Bush IS. However, here we go again, to say that Democratic first ladies are not deserving and not classy enough is a lie.

IMHO Jackie Kennedy was a star quality first lady. And I am not even a democrat.
I think that Laura Bush is a great first lady also.

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Well ya know(in politics especially) if a man speaks his mind he's called "manly, powerful, a leader, etc. etc. If a woman is so bold as to speak her mind she's called a "bitch" or other assorted unattractive titles.
It's very unfair and sexist.

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by elaine
Well ya know(in politics especially) if a man speaks his mind he's called "manly, powerful, a leader, etc. etc. If a woman is so bold as to speak her mind she's called a "bitch" or other assorted unattractive titles.
You're right. I meant that Laura's personality is more acceptable to the he-men.
And its true that Democrats like a strong woman while the Republicans like the "what can I get for you dear" type. You know how it is with girley-men, they have to prove they're the king of the house. Its a guy thing, i guess.

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I thing Kerry's wife shows the women of today, while bush wife is more like a women from another time.

but don't get to comparative, all these ladies have a lot of power over their husband decisions in the privacy of their bedrooms.

Remember behind a sucesfull man is a powerful woman, ( I think that is how the say so goes.)

It was once a documetary on the history channel about the power of the first ladies from Washington to modern presidents and it was quite interesting.

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Natas313
Kerry's wife is like a fine sports car.
Bush's wife is like a japanese import.

Kerrys wife like a fine sports car, More like a nascar fast ,loud and just waiting for crash.

Bush's Wife is more of a classy car like a bentley

Money cant buy class and Teresa Heinz is proof of that

By the way Jackie O was a great Dem. first lady

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
Well I think Kerry's wife would be an embarrassment to the US, this is just my opinion.

Speaking of embaressing, you certainly have a lot of opinions, don't you?

I'll take Teresa over the Stepford Wives any day.

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 05:50 PM
link   
While this board continues to devolve into a long series of irrelevancies, why not look at the quality of the progeny of the US presidential candidates as well?

Not much positive can be said about the Bush siblings.

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Whether people want to admit it or not a first lady has lots of influence on the President more so then probably any other person. So its not a irrelevant issue, I thought we already all learned this after Hillary?

[edit on 10-10-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Mrs. Bush is viewed as "classy" by whom....?
The rice krispy treats crowd?
She looks too spaced out and complacent to be taken seriously by anyone with a clue.

Hillary, granted, was an abomination. But she's an extreme.

Mrs. Kerry has had a life & is very well traveled. She appears to be the kind of woman other women could talk to about a range of topics; like it or not she isn't a Stepford Wife.

Mrs. Bush, on the other hand, is the sterotypical drunk driver's spouse.
Dutiful to the point of being robotic. Oblivious to the mayhem her husband has created. Vacant. Drab.

I suppose the "everything is peachy" air she projects wouldn't be disturbing if her husband wasn't responsible for thousands of needless deaths - but he is. Mrs. B looks phoney now.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 01:26 AM
link   
To all those saying it is irrelevant...

I would like to point out that clearly any spouse has an influence over their partner. It's just the way things are. Also, just take a look at the Clintons - didn't Bill put Hill in charge of A LOT of things to further her political career?

I think that is VERY relevent, because if a president is putting his spouse in charge of national programs, you MUST take that into consideration.

Lastly, if you don't like the thread, don't post. I think it should be talked about, even if it is not one of the more important factors in deciding a president.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by elaine
If a woman is so bold as to speak her mind she's called a "bitch" or other assorted unattractive titles.

I think that whether she is called a "bitch" or not depends on what is on her mind.

Plenty of criticism to go around to the men who speak their minds in a like manner.

Both show whining, negative qualities.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 06:21 AM
link   
really who gives a stuff, it's pretty dumb to say that only rep. wives are better first ladies than dem. wives. People aren't labelled by parties, they are just people who fall in love and marry other people. I am sure that there are hot wives out there who have democrat and republican husbands and there are total bitches.

that said teresa kerry is better coz she's a smart woman who won't take crap from people because of her beliefs. And all you do is whinge because she's a woman with convictions and she's not a woman you put on your mantlepiece to parade to the rest of the world.

thanks,
drfunk

[edit on 11-10-2004 by drfunk]

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
To all those saying it is irrelevant...

I would like to point out that clearly any spouse has an influence over their partner. It's just the way things are. Also, just take a look at the Clintons - didn't Bill put Hill in charge of A LOT of things to further her political career?

I think that is VERY relevent, because if a president is putting his spouse in charge of national programs, you MUST take that into consideration.

Lastly, if you don't like the thread, don't post. I think it should be talked about, even if it is not one of the more important factors in deciding a president.

As the esteemed gentleman from Hsiffaen Shield has mentioned ( sorry, I'm a CSPAN junkie! ), to paraphrase, a measure of anyone is their legacy; none more critical than your seed. Bush twins - drunken & ill mannered tarts. Kerry girls - ladies.

Mrs. Clinton, Senator from my state, was appointed to the role she was because she already was a woman of both academic, professional and domestic accomplishmnent. If I'm a 'coach' looking at my administrative or business 'bench' and I see an advanced degree holding former law firm partner available for free, I'm putting her into the game.

On GOP 1st Ladies:

Nancy Reagan - former low budget actress who was Regean's mistress before she was his wife. She ran all the parts of the prsidency that GHW Bush let her.

Laura Bush - killed a former boyfriend and didn't even get a ticket. Looks to be on a pharmeceutical high everytime she's on camera.

Babs Bush - The Matriarch of all the Hell Spawn that are the Bush Boys - She can't worry her pretty mind over the thought of US kids coming home in body bags.

Betty Ford - Former addict

The last 'clean' GOP 1st lady might have been Mrs. Nixon....what irony!

Teresa Kerry is all woman, and I know that fact alone scares the GOP faithful. She'd be such a tremendous upgrade from Laura.

posted on Oct, 11 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bout Time
, to paraphrase, a measure of anyone is their legacy; none more critical than your seed. Bush twins - drunken & ill mannered tarts. Kerry girls - ladies.

Are these the same Kerry "ladies" that go out in public in see through clothes? Thats very lady like

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join