It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who honestly believes the U.S. can pull itself out of a 16 trillion debt?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
The way I learned it in pol science,,the debt can go really high as long as there is a plan to pay it back, in theory, but my teacher was an obama supporter so I didnt trust her any more than Mitt.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
My answer:

Stop artificially inflating prices.

Stop spending money you don't have.

Audit the fed and find out where all the money is going to. If it's illegitimate stuff, then punish those people involved.

Put as much money into the debt as you can.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
Yes.

I'm going to keep this short, there has been many good ideas for financial balance. By far this is the best start I've seen, and have supported for some time now. Mind you, this isn't a surefire cureall magic bullet solution, but it is a good start. Video linked is one our government representatives should see and then do.

Why haven't they done this already...

That was good, made a lot of sense. Plus giving Ben "Southpark" looking eyes was a nice touch.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Each of us may owe 50 grand, but we are sitting on natural resources worth a few million to each of us.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I've come to believe that even if we can fix it we should not. As a full economic collapse the only way to rebuild the economy and destroy the yrs upon yrs of corruption and tailored policies.......

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Economic collapses never hurt the rich, they only hurt the poor.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
If the problem was contained within the United States (and assuming there was the requisite will) maybe. But having allowed our economy to become completely intertwined with the global economy I don't believe it is possible without a huge sea-change. I believe one of the major forces working against a solution is the elite. Despite their having shamelessly picked the economic carcass all but clean, they steadfastly hold to the opinion that they are somehow entitled to all their ill-gotten gains. That they are 'too big to fail'. They believe the lie that they, and they alone, are the engine of the economy and should be allowed to pillage and plunder at-will.

For things to even have a chance of stabilizing --- let alone recovering --- the elite are gong to have to take a really, really big hit. And I don't believe for a moment that they have the stomach for it. Based on their actions, the fact that there has been virtually no meaningful prosecution of fraud and their apparent outright ownership of government it would seem they would shoot themselves in the johnson to prove it doesn't hurt.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
The "good old days" of a sub 15 trillion dollar debt.
Been posted before I am sure, but it is relevant to the discusion:

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by gaurdian2012

there is a simple fix, debt forgiveness technically the money does not exist.

This is true. Abolish the dollar and put gold back into circulation. Just don't start fabricating it in labs like they do with diamonds...otherwise, inflation will return with a vengeance.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I do not believe we can. There is too much corruption, special interest groups and so on that there will never be a serious effort to do so.

It will all come apart at some point. Austerity doesn't seem to be working very well in other places so I don't think it will work here.

I don't have any answers. I only know that something is broken and it doesn't feel like we have the knowledge to fix it...or the will to fix it if we did.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
Economic collapses never hurt the rich, they only hurt the poor.

That depends. Hyperinflation only hurts the poor as the rich are diversified into hard assets to preserve wealth through the upheaval.

Deflation is the enemy of the rich.

Thats why asset prices will be propped up at all costs even if it means the inflation monster gets to eat the public for a decade.
edit on 1-8-2012 by justwokeup because: typo

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Debt forgiveness. All we have to do is make our creditors an offer they can't refuse.
It's all monopoly money anyway.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
The games over, turn in your game pieces and start a new game. The hole is just too deep.

To begin any serious effort to pay off the debt, the government would have to at least cut our military budget by half and close all the military bases we have overseas, and we know they won't even think about doing that.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by GD21D
Current public debt: $15,879,685,991,358.94Current est U.S. population: 313,237,833Per person: $50,695.30And people are concerned with just balancing the budget? I think it's going to take a little more than just balancing the budget. It would take years and years of surplus. It's virtually impossible.Debt clock

When I read this I think HOW MUCH IS THE LAND WORTH IN RELATION TO EACH RESIDENT. What I am saying is can some look @ us land and say well this city and its population are @ 200,000$ per person so lets take the land and minus the pople and BUILD BASES?
Is this possible.

ex:

I am a farmer I lend you $$$ to grow say wheat. You grow wheat but its not of the quality to be sold and your land needs 3 years to develope better dirt/ soil to farm better wheat. NOW after observing FUTURE projects I see your land being worth more then a wheat field because theres a new base being built near it and they want more land so. Now I the farmer feel your land is worth more then your wheat and want the land I feel you owe me to be used for bases so I just TAKE THE FIELDS AND DESTROY THE WHEAT. THIS I WONDR IS IT POSSIBLE AND WHAT FARMER AM I PLAYING IF YOUR THE USA?
I would have to take you to war to validate the elimination of the wheat? Why seeking the land
I cannot stand the way politics are ran sometimes.
edit on 8/1/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Our debt doesn't solely lie in fiat currency, technically. We owe a considerable amount to foreign countries, but mostly "we owe it" to ourselves/other US citizens via SS trust funds and what not. One of the first steps is establishing sound currency, but it would take a long time, regardless. Our economy has been set to fail since 1913. Not too many ways of peacefully avoiding it at this point.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
How could you fix debt by creating more debt-Alex Collier

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by GD21D

If, and this is a big "never gonna happen" if, Ron Paul were elected President.... and on his first day he ordered the US Marshalls, or some combat Marines to surround and sieze the Federal Reserve and all of it's assets... and then, once the assets were under federal control, the interest payments from member banks were routed to the US Treasury instead of private bankers, the debt would be paid off in no time. Other than that it's hopeless.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
No electable politician will make the necessary sacrifices it would take to save our economy. Not to be a downer but we are witnessing the long, drawn out death of our country.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
It's a lot bigger than sixteen trillion, that's only the debt we are allowed to see. There is plenty more that has been hidden in those books of numbers. 666 identifies the tricksters deceit by number scheme.
edit on 1-8-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by GD21D

I think you'll find the acual debt is alot closer to $18T-$20T

It won't take years and years but generations - thats IF no mega disaster or world war happens in that time. The worst part is, a good chunk of that money can't be accounted for.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join