It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US bid for multi-billion dollar nuclear aircraft carrier strike group in Perth

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Well at least we can offer them a job if they get bored. Target practice on boat people in the Indian ocean...

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
Where the hell are they getting those statistics? I don't remember answering a survey, nor do I know any Aussie that has. What a load of complete and utter nonsense. If this had have suggested that "87% of Australians DO NOT WANT American forces on our soil" then I would have believed that.

This world has gone mad. Completely mad.

I'll tell you what is completely mad? You are completely mad. Especially if you talk about what the other 87% of Australians would say.

I am definitely one of the 87% and I think you are a total fool for being one of the 13%.

Here is a statistic for you.
$40 billion per year EXTRA is what Australia would have to spend on defense if we did not have the USA as a close Allie. Currently our military spending is at $25 billion per year. So it would be $65 billion without the USA.

I like Americans. They're a good people. Sure they have their crazy Presidents, but that's it. Good Friends.

That's not the only reason I like them, but anyways that's all i;m writing for now. Peace out.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Global chess.

You place your pieces strategically on the board.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
Of course one other scenario needs to be considered. If, say, Yellowstone blew up, the Northern Hemisphere would be fully involved in a Volcanic Winter. Now ask yourself this question. How many Battle Groups are based in the Southern Hemisphere?Interesting answer isn't it.
I would like to think this as the reason. Strategic & Military alliances are common and I'm just shocked and surprised at the paranoia of some of the aussies. Do you think the Aussie military is that stupid and havn't thought about alternatives and/or the alliance with US Military? Common folks. Stop the paranoia.
edit on 1-8-2012 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Australia is a stepping stone In the pacific. Asia Australia relations lol I know you pretend to be commies but when the shtf you'll quickly find out that the real commies disagree. Also we already have forces there for long time. Listening posts ect that are far more important than a couple of ships.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
The simple matter is you have a region with a growing China that makes a bunch of other nations nervous. What would normally happen is a massive arms race in the region. Such an arms race would not only increase the chances of conflict with China but also with each other. The only that is keeping this from happening is the complete and total dominance of the US Navy. So nations instead spending massive amounts of money are pushing the US into moving in more. I would not be supprised to see US bases pop up in the Phillipines and Vietnam soon as well. China will not make to much noise about it because a US presence is much better than a bunch of heavily armed Pacific nations creating possible problems/conlficts with the most important part of China's trade, open seas. And of course this also avoids the worry of Japan re-arming and fears of what that might lead to. Now what people in this region should worry about is if the US ever decides to pull out of the region. Then your going to be in for a ride.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
That, as well as the fact AUS was nearly a write-off early in WW2.

It seems like US and AUS have more common interests.

To say "no", would be to deny that AUS was defended/liberated from the Japanese by the Allies, was it not?

I can't really say I believe the current inhabitants of AUS today would enjoy the liberty to speak their minds under Imperial Japanese rule....or even be alive to do so.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

this is full-on news,aircraft-carrier task forces are definitely not defensive weapons.they are meant to project power.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Well look at it this way.Every country we set up in gets a growth in GDP because our people will be spending money there.NO BODY will ever invade you with that base. Americans will drink you under the table so you can see some real beer drinkers and we can beat each other up and scare the press. If my country takes over your country I'll be dead because we don't like to occupy nations and Australia is an ally.For them to do that they would have to subdue the armed US populace first.They don't have the equipment ,balls or man power to do that. Our military is our face not our jack booted thugs.We have bad eggs and so would you with millions in national population.
Americans love Australia and MOST Aussies love us. Just give us a chance IF it happens.You are about to get your southern territories expanded as we do like deserts.
edit on 1-8-2012 by cavtrooper7 because: misselled

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ludwigvonmises003
hmm,

Such developments will make Australia a target of nuclear/WMD strikes in the future when the next major war happens.

Hmmm....wanna bet that Australia was already a target waaayyy before this was thought about.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I am having a hard time realizing why so many on here are opposed to this idea? It is not like China is building a naval base? Excuse the sarcastic remark, and I am only trying lighten things up around here. I thought the US and Australia were military allies? The two countries have stuck their necks out for each other on numerous occasions, and I am fairly certain that relationship will continue. Look on the bright side, if this base is built? It will offer a lot of employment opportunities to the residents of Perth.

There will need to be maintenance people to help with the upkeep of this vessels during dry dock periods, workers to run and maintain base stores and facilities, Aussie sailors to run the tugs to guide these ships to port, and tons of other jobs. Furthermore, sailors are going to be invigorating the local economy as well by shopping at their stores, tipping back a few pints at the pubs, and countless other commercial pursuits. The people of Perth are going to make out quite adequately by this proposal.

For the naysayers, it is great to rail back on fourth on ATS. However, Australians should be getting in touch with their members of Parliament to voice questions and concerns. They are the ones that are either going to make or break this deal. We are just singing to the choir. However, I think this proposal is a good thing for all involved. China has been flexing its muscles quite frequently against their smaller neighbors like Vietnam and the Philippines. That is in the news. At the very least, hopefully, this extended presence should keep China honest when dealing with its partners both economically and strategically. That is just my opinion, and it really boils down to what the Australians want. They are going decide whether this is going to be a beneficial or not. Hearing about this makes me wish I was still in the Navy. You can bet I would be pursuing orders to this duty station. I love Australia!
edit on 1-8-2012 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jakes51
I thought the US and Australia were military allies?

You didnt Know ? Regardless if we are, 100% of Australians believe America is a "Bully". The warmest welcome, is a stiff, "get out"..

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

A 100% think that the US are bullies? Now, that is a funny one! Some around these parts would like for us to believe that 100% of Aussie think we are bullies? That is not the case at all. Of course, there is bound to be opposition to this proposal, and that is a given considering how large it is expected to be. If some Australians oppose this proposal? Why are they not engaging their government officials about this issue? That is a mystery too me. Perhaps, the opposition is a small portion of the Australian population?

I have been to Australia on numerous occasions, and I have not met one person that even looked at me the wrong way. In fact, they were quite friendly. Furthermore, I have good friend that happens to be an Australian expat, and has lived in the US for years. I can't recall them ever saying anything negative or hateful about the US. This is a decision for Australia to make, and they will decide whether to give this idea the green light or not. They are going to remain our allies and friends either way. Our two countries have a lot of history between each other, and more positive history than negative.100%

edit on 1-8-2012 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Originally posted by Jakes51
I thought the US and Australia were military allies?
You didnt Know ? Regardless if we are, 100% of Australians believe America is a "Bully". The warmest welcome, is a stiff, "get out"..
I think the aussies are bullying the foreigners within Australia
So naturally the inferiority complex.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Good Lord! Relax! It's ONE of four choices dreamed up by a think tank. The US doesn't have to choose ANY of them. And if Mayport, Florida doesn't get their anticipated carrier, they're gonna be pissed. It means billions of dollars for the local economy. There will be intense competition to get a carrier. Australia would be the last place to choose. There are too many places to go that want a carrier to worry about going some place they are not wanted.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

This is how I see it:

China has rapidly risen to the point where it threatens to knock the US off it's perch as "Top Dog". The US, in all their arrogance, can't stand the thought of not being the worlds only superpower and are frantically scrambling to get a military leg-up on China before China forces a Mutually Assured Destruction stalemate. All the while, the US is spending itself into oblivion to stroke it's own ego.

Doesn't help that Americans have been subjected to 50 years of "America is the Greatest" propaganda - making them believe they have some sort of god-given right to be the world's superpower.

It's time the reins changed hands. The US had it's go and screwed it up royally.

no bush screwed it up royally. when he started invading the world and treated the rest of the globe like fools, he managed to lose all credibility and admiration the world had for america.

when he put america under an envelope of fear, exaggerating it ten-fold, he destroyed america.

if he only stuck to getting osama bin laden and clearing afghanistan of al-qaeda, a 3 year mission if properly handled, america would still be respected.

it is now not respected, believed or trusted in any way by the majority of people or governments around the world.

now, the rest of the world is going to gravitate to countries they can trust and that treat them with respect to do business and to look for support and protection.

if countries around the world start going to china for protection, like they used to do before with america, the united states will quickly find itself without allies.

even their bff, israel might abandon them or raise it to $10 billion a year to be america's friend.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
Good Lord! Relax! It's ONE of four choices dreamed up by a think tank. The US doesn't have to choose ANY of them. And if Mayport, Florida doesn't get their anticipated carrier, they're gonna be pissed. It means billions of dollars for the local economy. There will be intense competition to get a carrier. Australia would be the last place to choose. There are too many places to go that want a carrier to worry about going some place they are not wanted.

Who says they aren't wanted?

China is trying to throw it's weight around more and more in that region.

My money says they get the carrier. The Aussies want the savings to their defense budget, and U.S. corporate interests want the protection it provides them.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I find this hilarious! You Aussies (and everyone else for that matter) have been blaming Americans for the ills of the entire world. And then you have the gall to blame the U.S. citizens for doing nothing... just standing there and "letting" our govt. walk all over us without as much as a wimper. "Americans are too fat and stupid to change what their govt. is doing."

OK Aussies... I heard quite a few of you already on this thread say "Well I never voted for this." So what are you saying???? Your govt. doesn't ASK your permission before calling the Yank hardware in??? Wow!!! The way you guys made it sound was all we had to do was stop our govt. from doing what we didn't like.

Hmmmm. Maybe your finding out that it isn't just the Americans who are being walked on. Or if I'm wrong, just tell your govt. to stop.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE

I'll tell you what is completely mad? You are completely mad. Especially if you talk about what the other 87% of Australians would say.

I am definitely one of the 87% and I think you are a total fool for being one of the 13%.

Prove to me, without a shadow of a doubt, that 87% of Australians want an American nuclear carrier group parked in Perth and I will eat my feet, take pictures of it and plaster it all over the Internet.

Seeing as proving that is an impossible task, I stand by my opinion that the statistic is wrong and congratulations on being fool enough to believe it.

Here is a statistic for you.
$40 billion per year EXTRA is what Australia would have to spend on defense if we did not have the USA as a close Allie. Currently our military spending is at $25 billion per year. So it would be $65 billion without the USA.

Defence against whom? Nasty "tewworists"? How many terror attacks have happened on Australian soil since 9/11?

I like Americans. They're a good people. Sure they have their crazy Presidents, but that's it. Good Friends.

That's not the only reason I like them, but anyways that's all i;m writing for now. Peace out.

Congratulations on falling for the Americans game of labeling me as some sort of "America-hater". I guarantee you that if you went through every single thread and post I have made on ATS since I joined over 4 years ago you will not find a single instance of me 'hating' on the average American. I have ALWAYS said that this is about the government and, by proxy, the people that allow these monsters to stay in office. I have even pointed this out several times in this thread alone.

Jesus H Christ does nobody actually READ threads?

But go ahead, keep making false assertions that I 'hate' the average American. It is meaningless to me considering the mountain of evidence I have at my disposal to prove that wrong.

P.S. I had an American flatmate several years back for a year. Nicest bloke you could ever meet. Sorry to burst everyone's "Kryties is an American-hater" BS bubble.

edit on 1/8/2012 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrutalDictator

To say "no", would be to deny that AUS was defended/liberated from the Japanese by the Allies, was it not?

Kokoda Trail - Papua New Guinea

Please read this and then answer me as to where were Australia's allies when we needed them the most? We defended Australia all by ourselves thankyou very much.

I can't really say I believe the current inhabitants of AUS today would enjoy the liberty to speak their minds under Imperial Japanese rule....or even be alive to do so.

Yep, thanks to us Aussies defending ourselves from the Japanese advance through PNG.

Again, where were our allies when we needed them the most?

edit on 1/8/2012 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join