It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US bid for multi-billion dollar nuclear aircraft carrier strike group in Perth

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   

US bid for multi-billion dollar nuclear aircraft carrier strike group in Perth

ww w.smh.com.au

A US military report, to be formally released tomorrow, contains a recommendation to massively expand America's defence presence in Australia by building a base in Perth for a US aircraft carrier and supporting fleet.

The plan is included as part of one of four options set out in a report by the Centre for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS), commissioned by the Department of Defence.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 31/7/2012 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   

The CSIS was directed to consider how the US military could undertake the “pivot” to the Asia-Pacific region announced by President Obama last year in response to China's increasing influence.

The third option in the report - formally titled US Force Posture Strategy in the Asia Pacific Region: An Independent Assessment - details moving a US carrier strike group to the HMAS Stirling base in Perth.

The strike group would include a nuclear powered aircraft carrier, a carrier air wing of up to nine squadrons, one or two guided missile cruisers, two or three guided missile destroyers, one or two nuclear powered submarines and a supply ship.

“Australia's geography, political stability, and existing defence capabilities and infrastructure offer strategic depth and other significant military advantages to the United States in light of the growing range of Chinese weapons systems, US efforts to achieve a more distributed force posture, and the increasing strategic importance of Southeast Asia and the Indian Ocean,” says the report.

Read more: www.smh.com.au... YP8oXD

And so it begins. We all knew the U.S. Marines being based in Darwin was the harbinger of things to come and now we have plans being drawn up to station Nuclear Carrier Groups in one of our major cities.

I wonder how much this will cost and how many more Americans will lose their jobs/homes/lives because of this? When does this ever-increasing military expansion end and common sense take it's place in terms of expenditure?

Here's the kicker for me...

It says public support for the US alliance is at an eight-year high, with “87 per cent of Australians regarding it as important for Australia's security and 74 per cent considering the United States as Australia's most important security partner over the next ten years.

Read more: www.smh.com.au... YvW6DN

Where the hell are they getting those statistics? I don't remember answering a survey, nor do I know any Aussie that has. What a load of complete and utter nonsense. If this had have suggested that "87% of Australians DO NOT WANT American forces on our soil" then I would have believed that.

This world has gone mad. Completely mad.

ww w.smh.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
hmm,

Such developments will make Australia a target of nuclear/WMD strikes in the future when the next major war happens.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ludwigvonmises003

Yep, just one of many reasons we Aussies do not want American forces on our soil. The Americans have pissed off the world and we don't want to be in the firing line when the # goes down.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
You will be assimilated. It's useless to resist.

Kiss your friendliness with Asia goodbye, you are 'Murika's beeotch now.
edit on 31-7-2012 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
This makes little sense to me. This whole thing about building up Australia based forces makes little sense. What are they being built against?

China is one I've heard but we have Guam as direct U.S. territory, Pearl of course and closer relations to other Asian nations a WHOLE lot closer than there.

There isn't more happening down on the Ice to the South than the world is hearing about, is there? All the focus to the extreme South makes me wonder. Australia made every bit of sense in World War II of course, but only because Japan had actually pushed almost all the way there already and the object was pushing back up the Pacific.

This Carrier group just wouldn't seem to be in a theater of interest. No offense Australia, but being that would be a good things these days I believe.

Odd.....?

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Nice catch mate.

The US is also looking to create a Naval Base (which will also house a Carrier Fleet for the Pacific) in Brisbane. In fact, they are looking to expand their military presence in nearly every major Australian city. They also want to build a drone base in the cocos islands.

While the US may see this as an excellent opportunity, i have to agree with you that the majority of Australians do not like the fact that the US is using Australia for its own gain. The US is not doing this to help Australia, they are doing it to posture themselves against China, which in return is putting Australian-Chinese relations at risk.

Also, we can clearly defend ourselves, as has been proven throughout history.

The US is not needed...they just feel like they are. It is as if Australia sold it's 'soul' to the US during WW2...

S&F

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
You will be assimilated. It's useless to resist.

Actually I believe the phrase you are looking for is "Resistance is Futile".

Kiss your friendliness with Asia goodbye, you are 'Murika's beeotch now.

Over mine and the majority of Australia's dead bodies. We have great relationships with our Asian partners and it will be a cold day in hell before America comes along and screws that up in the name of 'national security".

It's not our problem the US isn't on friendly terms with Asia. Leave us Aussies the hell out of it. Crumble on your own, we won't be there to help.
edit on 1/8/2012 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Act now before its too late, the report is still in recomendation stage.
Launch a strike against current goverment, you need to act now before she sign it.

Else - expect sharp eye from Indonesia and SEA in general while Australia become "a possible battle target".

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital

The US is also looking to create a Naval Base (which will also house a Carrier Fleet for the Pacific) in Brisbane. In fact, they are looking to expand their military presence in nearly every major Australian city. They also want to build a drone base in the cocos islands.

Drone base huh? Looks like many Aussies will be getting target practice as we shoot them out of the sky!

While the US may see this as an excellent opportunity,

Of course they do! What's good for the US is good for the US and be damned anyone who disagrees. I'm half expecting to be called "Anti-American" at some point during this thread.

i have to agree with you that the majority of Australians do not like the fact that the US is using Australia for its own gain.

I actually don't know a single Aussie who likes it.

The US is not doing this to help Australia, they are doing it to posture themselves against China, which in return is putting Australian-Chinese relations at risk.

Precisely. Pure selfishness and arrogance....not unexpected coming from the US though.

Also, we can clearly defend ourselves, as has been proven throughout history.

Time and time again.

The US is not needed...they just feel like they are. It is as if Australia sold it's 'soul' to the US during WW2...

They've talked themselves into believing the rest of the world needs and wants them for our 'protection and security'. Propaganda at it's finest, from the top echelons down to the man on the street.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by NullVoid
reply to post by Kryties

Act now before its too late, the report is still in recomendation stage.
Launch a strike against current goverment, you need to act now before she sign it.

Please do not support terrorism.

Else - expect sharp eye from Indonesia and SEA in general while Australia become "a possible battle target".

No matter the situation, every ally has war scenarios...even against their allies. I am sure the US has battle plans against Australia, as they did for Britain and Canada last century.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

We should spread the rumor....ehem...cough cough.....truth......ehem......that all of Australia's major cities are located in the centre of the country

Yes, Uluru takes one for the team but methinks we can handle that!

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

Drone base huh? Looks like many Aussies will be getting target practice as we shoot them out of the sky!

Of course they do! What's good for the US is good for the US and be damned anyone who disagrees. I'm half expecting to be called "Anti-American" at some point during this thread.

Agreed. Don't worry, i have been called that name plenty of times, and am one of the only members not to be banned for it

I actually don't know a single Aussie who likes it.

Neither do i!!!

Precisely. Pure selfishness and arrogance....not unexpected coming from the US though.

Agreed there.

Time and time again.

They've talked themselves into believing the rest of the world needs and wants them for our 'protection and security'. Propaganda at it's finest, from the top echelons down to the man on the street.

I'm not surprised in the least that all Americans have fell for the propaganda that is "USA is the best."
edit on 1-8-2012 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Quote"Drone base huh? Looks like many Aussies will be getting target practice as we shoot them out of the sky! "
Unquote
Where the bloody hell will you get the firepower having sold all yer guns to the australian goverment.....a single shot aint gonna cut the mustard.....

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
reply to post by daaskapital

We should spread the rumor....ehem...cough cough.....truth......ehem......that all of Australia's major cities are located in the centre of the country

Yes, Uluru takes one for the team but methinks we can handle that!

Agreed there...considering most Aussie cities will now be targeted

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
reply to post by Kryties

Where the bloody hell will you get the firepower having sold all yer guns to the australian goverment.....a single shot aint gonna cut the mustard.....

Mate, contrary to what you have been told Aussies can still own guns we just need to pass proper licensing checks. I have been looking into getting myself a recreational shooting license actually.

If the US had have had such checks, James Holmes would not have been able to get a hold of enough guns and ammo for a small army and blow away a cinema complex. I would MUCH rather have the conditions for licensing we have in Australia than to risk going outside and having some nutter blow my head off because he was on the wrong meds and could walk into a shop and buy a gun.

Don't believe the nonsense your governments tell you.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Not odd at all. Its the same stuff - lust for oil.

The South China Sea, nicknamed "the second Persian Gulf" because of its potential for massive oil and gas reserves, is also a key passageway for the world's oil and is home to enormously valuable fisheries.

A crisis in the area has the potential for major economic damage to the United States as well. As one of the busiest sea lanes in the world, disputes in the South China Sea could have a major impact on shipping by forcing costly rerouting.
According to estimates by the Center for Strategic and International Studies, $5.3 trillion of trade passes each year through the South China Sea; U.S. trade accounts for $1.2 trillion.

Link 1

Link 2
After harnessing ME and sucking it almost dry, where else you turn to on 2020 ?

by 2020 USA want to shift 60% of entire fleet to SEA.
There will be 6 aircraft carrier in the area by 2015. Australia is the early step.

If China still stress their claim on the small SEA island, SEA military expansion would be easy for USA. Anyway, USA still want to dip its feet in the puddle, China is there or not.

Maybe we should do what the ancients done, let them drink the hot oil.
edit on 1-8-2012 by NullVoid because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Perth and Brisbane are strategically impotent when it comes to major bases. You only have to look at the formation of the Australian bases to know soldiers in the north, trainers in the south. What are the Americans hoping to defend against? It would make more sense if they placed their assets in Cairns or Darwin, but that far south?

Given the fact there is already major US battle fleets in Japan, Guam and also Korea, along with the Pacific Fleet Headquarters at Pearl Harbour, you have to wonder at the idea behind it. To me it sounds like the mob rule "tuffs" you see that stand over either side of someone to intimidate them. One in Brisbane, the other in Perth, leaning over us on either side.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

I hope for your sake, Australia doesn't give in to US pressure. I was in New Zealand once and ran into some Japanese travelers, who spoke at length about how great Australia was, how good the relationship between not only their country but all of Asia with Aussies were. If the US get's it's way and builds these bases all over your country, you can bet it will rock the boat over there. It's a shame. Sadly, I think my Star Trek metaphor is still appropriate, "you will be assimilated".

But hey, look at the bright side, instead of cute Asian school girls running around on your beaches, you'll get this:

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   

If the US had have had such checks, James Holmes would not have been able to get a hold of enough guns and ammo for a small army and blow away a cinema complex. I would MUCH rather have the conditions for licensing we have in Australia than to risk going outside and having some nutter blow my head off because he was on the wrong meds and could walk into a shop and buy a gun.

Most of the guns used in crimes in the US are from the black market. Restrictions mirroring other countries wouldn't change this
. I live less than 20 miles from the location of this tragedy, and have seen its effects on the community. The actions of one nutjob is no reason to get gun control crazy.

As for the bases in Australia, sure it adds you as a target when the next major war happens. It also means, you also have our firepower on your side. Whenever it hits the fan, who is the first country everyone looks to for aid? US.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join