It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People who call and speak to me in Spanish.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Hi.

(I mean no personal offense to any one person but it needs to be said.)

Boy I sure hope I don’t get in trouble for posting my thought.

What drives me absolutely crazy is when I answer my phone and it’s a telemarketer speaking Spanish.
I don’t know how common this is in other areas but where I live when it comes to telemarketing it seems like it’s either an auto dialer or somebody speaking Spanish.

Drives me nuts.

This is America isn’t it?
So at least speak to me in English.
I know it’s my fault because I don’t block the calls or I’m not registered on some #ing government list.

You know what just don’t call this number ##phone number removed## anyone period.

edit on Tue Jul 31 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by cavalryscout

If that was your phone number you just posted in an open forum....

Or, are you mad at someone and setting them up.

Des

edit on 31-7-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Dear cavalryscout,

It is a recording usually, otherwise if it is a live person, they hang up if you answer in English. There is a reason, it seems to be some effort to take advantage of Hispanics who are behind on their home loans. I live in California and used to get those calls all the time; but, they seem to have decreased.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Como Estas Calvary?

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

OMG!
I thought it was just me!
I have had this happen to me several times!

I'm not sure what "chupacabra insurance" is, but I sure don't want it!
It just sounds kinda dirty and scary!
Why cant all these people just speak American?

Maybe we should form some type of organization that prevented "Non-English Speaking Americans" from calling our cell phones!

edit on 31-7-2012 by tvtexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by tvtexan

I can't tell if you're joking or not, is that really offered?

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Bizarre. I live in a state with a very high Hispanic population and have never received a telemarketing call in Spanish.

CJ

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavalryscout

I'm sure those who speak Lakota are just as pissed when somebody calls them up in English.

English is not our official language, you know...
edit on 31-7-2012 by Cuervo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

Originally posted by cavalryscout

I'm sure those who speak Lakota are just as pissed when somebody calls them up in English.

English is not our official language, you know...
edit on 31-7-2012 by Cuervo because: (no reason given)

It wasn't until we were invaded by outragous numbers of the illegal spanish speaking population that we had to fight for our language to become the official language. There are bills out there now to make english the official language. No other culture ever demanded that we speak 'their' language and refused to learn or speak english.

Now you have to press 1 for english to make certain phone calls, speak spanish in order to get a job in many areas, see spanish signs everywhere etc. Those who come here through the proper channels learn and speak english with respect.

I would never dream of going to live in another country and expect them to speak 'my' language. That is arrogant and rude.I spent 8 years being forced to listen to spanish all day at work and it drove me insane! I felt as though I left my own country. My african, asian, and indian co-workers spoke english. With the hundreds of languages spoken here, english is the one language that ties us all together. You can't expect people to learn hundreds of languages in order to communicate. Why cater to the spanish speaking population?

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by tvtexan

OMG!
I thought it was just me!
I have had this happen to me several times!

It just sounds kinda dirty and scary!
Why cant all these people just speak American?

Maybe we should form some type of organization that prevented "Non-English Speaking Americans" from calling our cell phones!

edit on 31-7-2012 by tvtexan because: (no reason given)

OMG chupacabra is one of those unexplained animals they find. I think it's just dogs with mange. Insurance for that?

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
That never happens to me--possibly because I am registered on the do-not-call list. But hand to God, I don't know how many times I've had calls from people speaking Chinese. And it doesn't matter how many times I say, "Sorry, I can't understand you"--without so much as even the slightest clue of a Chinese accent--they still continue to rattle on as if I'd said, in perfect Chinese, "Yes! Please tell me all about it!"

After a few polite "sorrys" and "goodbyes" all I can do is hang up on them....

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Seriously?
I live in So.Cal. have applied to thousands of jobs. No I dont speak Spanish.

still no job???
wtf?????????
no
I will not learn espanyole to get a job in a country I have been born in and the language in which my government speaks when in session

hell no!!!

edit on 1-8-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by rebellender

Seriously?
I live in So.Cal. have applied to thousands of jobs. No I dont speak Spanish.

still no job???
wtf?????????
no
I will not learn espanyole to get a job in a country I have been born in and the language in which my government speaks when in session

hell no!!!

edit on 1-8-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

Me either. No American citizen should be forced to speak another language in their own Country. It is alarming that so many places all across the USA now require people to be bilingual. To cater to just the spanish speaking population and place their language above our own is not acceptable.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

I am fluent in Spanish. It helps me a great deal in the job market. Reality is tough sometimes. I too think Spanish speaking people should learn the language of the country that they live in - I did when I lived in a Spanish speaking country. I guess I got lucky here in the states now that there is such a large hispanic population. It isn't going to change.

CJ

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens
reply to post by Night Star

I am fluent in Spanish. It helps me a great deal in the job market. Reality is tough sometimes. I too think Spanish speaking people should learn the language of the country that they live in - I did when I lived in a Spanish speaking country. I guess I got lucky here in the states now that there is such a large hispanic population. It isn't going to change.

CJ

I commend you for being respectful enough to learn Spanish while in a spanish speaking country. For the spanish speaking population to come here in such great numbers illegally has changed America and divided people. Like I said, all other cultures learned and speak the language.

With millions of un-employed citizens, it breaks my heart to see lost job opertunities for any American citizen because they don't speak spanish. This is not the country I grew up. We never had to fight for our own language before. Do you know what is does to an english speaking person to be forced to listen to a foreign language hour after hour, day after day, year after year? I swear I'm traumatized.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Oops, sorry double post.

edit on 1-8-2012 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
You know whats even worse? When someone calls or I call somewhere and have to speak to a native English speaker who I cant understand.
NOT amusing, specifically in a professional setting.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Tell them this, "I'm the ghost of Red Foxx, BEANS AND DESEASE TO YOU TOO"!

top topics

join