It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I went to the doctor today...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I have an infection in one of my fingers so I decided to go to the doctor to get it checked out. I haven't been to the doctor for about two years. Upon arrival I was greeted with a nurse requesting that I let her take a picture of me for my records. I expected to have to answer some questions since it had been awhile since my last visit, but didn't expect that request. I complied because I really don't care, but did find it odd. I also was asked about twenty to thirty questions, regarding my sexual history, partners etc., if I had been mentally or physically abused as a child. If I was currently being abused mentally or physically. If I was suicidal or wanted to cause harm to myself. Plus others that I can't remember.

I just found a lot of the questions odd since I was just there to get my finger looked at. The nurse told me they would be asking me the same questions everytime I came there in the future to see if anything had changed.

I understand why the information could be helpful, but thought it was a bit of an invasion of privacy. Is this something that is going into effect everywhere due to the new healthcare laws, or is it just to try to help patients better? It seems to me that they are digging really deep trying to find out as much information as they could.

Maybe I've just been on ATS too much. What do you think?

Has anybody else had any strange stuff go on at the doctor's office recently?

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
They can ask, you don't have to answer.

If you find it invasive, then don't.

People need to take some personal responsibility, here.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Did they give you any treatment for your finger or just try to confuse you?

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Yes, antibiotics, and told me to soak it in epsom salt. Waste of time really, I could have told them that. Too bad I can't get my own antibiotics.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

Probably charged you more for the visit then for the antibiotics...

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Yes, I know. Right now it's just simple questions, but I'm afraid that eventually they will try to con people into giving out more info by saying "yeah, we asked you that last time"

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi They can ask, you don't have to answer.

absolutely. in certain circumstances, silence is indeed golden.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   

They get to bill the insurance ten dollars more for asking you those questions probably. Every thing they do gets a code and by adding codes they get money. It's creating jobs and also higher costs. See, it's really important to the health of the doctors office to ask those things.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
It's a good thing you didn't go in there for a rectal exam...

I'll bet you felt like it was tho.

peace

edit on 31-7-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
You need to change doctors. I have had the ID issue before at doctor's offices in the Dallas area (I had to show my driver's license each time I was seen), but the other questions are unnecessarily invasive, as if they're trying to find out if you're a dangerous terrorist.

It's none of their freaking business. They are there to treat your medical complaint, not be a spy for the Department of Homeland Insecurity.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Your screen name combined with your story makes me wonder if you might have some kind of history they were privvy to, and perhaps that is why they asked. Had you ever been to this clinic before? Had you sought treatment for depression, anxiety or the like? If so, then this would make more sense.

I can't explain the picture, though, unless they just want to put it with your records so the doctors will have a face to go with the file. I could actually see where that would be a good thing in terms of medical care - your Doc would be more likely to think of you as a person and not just a set of symptoms, if there is a photo with your chart. Bring some humanity to the medical process, you know? Sometimes doctors lose sight of the fact they are dealing with real people.

Just some ideas...

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by gwynnhwyfar

My screen name is nothing more than something that came up during an epic gaming/drinking/smoking marathon when I was much younger. I know suicide is no joke, but it is in this case. I have been to this same doctor all throughout the last few years, including a couple surgeries and other injuries.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I am with Skadi on this one,..
and I hate hospitals and the staff anyway...
those questions do seem a bit too far.
However the picture thing seems to be catching on

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
My government definitely abuses me. I try to stop them, but they overpower me.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
sorry but here in uk i wud have been complaing to health board if i was asked anything like that.....got nothing to do with them what ur history is unless it affects ur actual health.......even gone through cancer i,ve never been asked such personal questions.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I can give some insight on the picture taking.
Check out this link

The study was conducted at a hospital in Colorado in 2009. The hospital wanted to find ways to improve patient safety and determined that one way to eliminate errors was to tackle the problem of patient mix-ups. The hospital began taking photos of patients who were children and adding those photos to the patients' electronic records. Then, when doctors added notes, orders or other information in the records, a verification screen would show up with the patient's photo so that the doctor could verify that the information was being added to the correct chart.

I suspect this will become the norm more and more doctors offices move to electronic records.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

I go to Drs like it's my job and I haven't encountered anything like this. Weird.

Just the Dr's policies? Very strange though, unless it's new state regs.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Unless you are going to a MH professional I don't think it should be mandatory that you answer the abuse questions. In fact, I'm sure they are not mandatory and you could decline if you want.

My nephew is going to preschool this year and they asked my sister-in-law if he was born by caesarean or natural, if his parents are married, if they live together, if he's adopted, if he's ever displayed any problematic behaviors, if he was breast or bottle fed, etc... HE WILL BE 4 WHEN HE GOES TO SCHOOL!!! It shouldn't matter whether he was breast or bottle fed at that age!!! Very intrusive if you ask me.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by SUICIDEHK45
reply to post by rickymouse

Yes, antibiotics, and told me to soak it in epsom salt. Waste of time really, I could have told them that. Too bad I can't get my own antibiotics.

sure you can get your own antibiotics just go to a tractor supply or a vets office its the same stuff at a fraction of the cost

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

That happened to My husband as well, he went in for a sinus infection and they were asking about his sex history. He didn't answer those questions as he felt they were not relevant to his problem.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join