It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Degenerate Youth

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Reminds me of a quote by Plato

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place
of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

I always liked this, and as a parent, it keeps me grounded.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Since the purpose of this was obviously misconstrued I'll clearly state why I posted this thread.

#1. Because Hopsin is awesome and more people should hear him
(funny how people keep calling me grandpa and the like when I posted this song that I obviously enjoy).

#2. To further relay the message of the song. None of the criticism is even focusing on the message. This isn't about me.... The original music video has garnered 7 million views in about 2 weeks by the way.

#3. To point out that there are a lot of kids these days that are brainwashed by certain types of music. Not saying all, not even saying most. But there are definitely some kids out there that have their priorities all #ed up, mainly because the music. The kids with # parents, or no parents at all, often are most impressional by music. If music is one of their favorite passions, listening to mainstream rap/pop can be devastating to their psyche.

And I will state again that I am 20 years old (give me an hour and a half and I'll be 21)

I used to listen to mainstream rap all the time and it definitely affected me. It is very real...

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I also want to mention that it can not be solely on the parents. That is not very logical and reveals that you put little thought into your argument.

Many a twins, many a siblings, have been raised the same way with vastly different results.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
A message to you rude boy

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
It's not just the youth that " they're" going after. They're going after all of us....

Take away people's morals and values...
Make sure thier interested in anything other then the truth that's right in front of them...

Reason....

Greed and Power

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofswords

I think you'll find that the further back you go the more you'll find such shocking things being things you don't think about nowadays. It was only a hundred or two years ago that most clothing worn nowadays would be equated with being naked, so if I went back to that time period I would likely be giving them quite the shock and may even desensitize them to the idea of nakedness. Oh goody me. As much as I don't like the rubbish music that we're talking about I can't go so far as to agree with the idea that there is an agenda throughout the music industry(or the powers that be who somehow infiltrate it) to desensitize youth. What is the overall point, though? Have you watched a horror movie before? Maybe several of them? Many people have. If a few of them go on to do unspeakable things, do you think it's the video that has promoted it? Do paranormal movies desensitize you enough to not be a little surprised when you turn your head to see a full-bodied apparition?

I will certainly agree that 'positive' music(or music unlike what we've discussed) definitely give off vibes that helps one to be more positive while 'negative' music definitely gives off vibes that can influence one to feel more 'negative'. Tell me something we didn't know? Depressed? Don't listen to twangy country music. Out of your mind insane? Don't listen to music that promotes shootin' up dem women and children. 'Kay? It would take a huge amount of listening to negative music to totally change someone to the point where they are 'desensitized' or are 'okay' with terrible things. If that's not what you're asserting, please let me know what is. Do my comments not have merit? They are my opinions, I am on a forum where I am allowed to express them. He made a statement which may not have merit(you're biased) so I responded in kind.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Hmm, I honestly don't think I've ever seen anything like what the lyrics describe.

Then again I've never seen a muslim bomber either.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Turq1
Hmm, I honestly don't think I've ever seen anything like what the lyrics describe.

Then again I've never seen a muslim bomber either.

You've never partied with lower middle class - poor people have you?

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Interesting video and opinions on the baby boomer generation.

"Laziness, Greed, Entitlement - Baby Boomers Defined"

I think Carlin put it well. "Children can't be our future because once the future arrives they won't be children anymore so blow me!"

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by theroguelion

This song and this rapper, are both garbage, lol. This guy is criticizing hip hop and basically blaming peoples lifestyle choices on it. While blatantly ignoring the fact that the population he is talking about have less access to good education and other resources. He is doing all this while trying to portray himself as different or somehow not contributing to the problem. His music is doing nothing to help with the problems he outlines in the song, all he is doing is hating on a genre of music. So if someone who is more into the top 40 hears this song, what will they take away? What will make them want to change? There were zero positive message in that song, just attacks and generalizations.

Outside of attacking the hip hop genre, he also condemns women who want to explore their sexuality while saying nothing about what guys do. Most of the stuff he says in that song makes no sense, lol. Like he says "your only in schools because your parents make you go and all you do is play beer pong and hang out with your bros" Clearly someone would have to be in college to be playing beer pong, when you are college age your parents cannot make you do anything. Playing beer pong and hanging out is a huge part of the college experience for everybody though, so to bringing it up is just stupid.

Also, in the beginning of the song he says "you dont read any books, you dont play ball, you dont draw, you do nothing at all" only to later on in the song say "all you interested in if rappin, fighin, and playin ball" Lol he cannot be serious? At first playing basketball was productive, but now its not. Hes a rapper while calling rap unproductive...O_o Calling black people neanderthals just speaks to his ignorance along with the fact that I looked up his other songs and he uses words like "faggot."

This guy lost all credibility for me when he said "I hate rap, but if the shoe fits wear it" and "Im embarrassed, and im ashamed to play a part in this devilish game makin your commonsense perish." Like clearly the guy has no clue of the history behind rap and hip hop. No true rapper would describe themselves as being embarrassed or ashamed of their art. Hes exploiting people like you to trick you into thinking hes different while hes spreading the same type of ignorance most mainstream rappers are, this guy is a clown. Lol. He tries to address a number of complex issues and fails horribly. Also, all Americans are brainwashed to want things they dont need, mainstream hip hop artist are just an extension of that.

Heres a good song that addresses the issues within mainstream hip hop

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal

This song and this rapper, are both garbage, lol. This guy is criticizing hip hop and basically blaming peoples lifestyle choices on it. While blatantly ignoring the fact that the population he is talking about have less access to good education and other resources. He is doing all this while trying to portray himself as different or somehow not contributing to the problem. His music is doing nothing to help with the problems he outlines in the song, all he is doing is hating on a genre of music. So if someone who is more into the top 40 hears this song, what will they take away? What will make them want to change? There were zero positive message in that song, just attacks and generalizations.

Outside of attacking the hip hop genre, he also condemns women who want to explore their sexuality while saying nothing about what guys do. Most of the stuff he says in that song makes no sense, lol. Like he says "your only in schools because your parents make you go and all you do is play beer pong and hang out with your bros" Clearly someone would have to be in college to be playing beer pong, when you are college age your parents cannot make you do anything. Playing beer pong and hanging out is a huge part of the college experience for everybody though, so to bringing it up is just stupid.

Also, in the beginning of the song he says "you dont read any books, you dont play ball, you dont draw, you do nothing at all" only to later on in the song say "all you interested in if rappin, fighin, and playin ball" Lol he cannot be serious? At first playing basketball was productive, but now its not. Hes a rapper while calling rap unproductive...O_o Calling black people neanderthals just speaks to his ignorance along with the fact that I looked up his other songs and he uses words like "faggot."

This guy lost all credibility for me when he said "I hate rap, but if the shoe fits wear it" and "Im embarrassed, and im ashamed to play a part in this devilish game makin your commonsense perish." Like clearly the guy has no clue of the history behind rap and hip hop. No true rapper would describe themselves as being embarrassed or ashamed of their art. Hes exploiting people like you to trick you into thinking hes different while hes spreading the same type of ignorance most mainstream rappers are, this guy is a clown. Lol. He tries to address a number of complex issues and fails horribly. Also, all Americans are brainwashed to want things they dont need, mainstream hip hop artist are just an extension of that.

Heres a good song that addresses the issues within mainstream hip hop

First of all, he is a different kind of rapper. By the very nature and content of this song he is different. He doesn't rap about weed, drugs, cars, money, materialistic things, and sex. Also he doesn't do many hooks and all his songs have plenty of substance. So your first point is completely blown away.

Secondly, he clearly talks about guys having sex, multiple times in the song. But why does that even matter? He never claimed this song was an end all be all description of problems. What exactly is your problem dude? Here are some examples anyway to prove you wrong once again: "you havin sex with every mutha #in body you see, with a past so dark..." "when i say fun what do you envision? prolly drinkin and smokin out with ya crew and chillin with clueless women you tryin to bang..." "Do you even have any goals aside from baggin these hoes?"
Second point = mince meat.

Thirdly, if you think high school kids don't play beer pong you are a moron. Enough said.

Fourth, his exact quote is "all you interested in is fightin, rappin, and basketball" not playin ball. Did you even listen to the song? He obviously meant as in spectating, which is extremely common for blacks. You're obviously not black.

Fifth, he says that the gangsters in the street are acting like neanderthals. Thats ignorant? Are you kidding me? Calling a spade a spade is ignorant now? Geeze kid...

Sixth, he is helping out. He could possibly wake people up. He actually gives decent advice in the song like "you won't romeo be patient". He also promotes labor, having goals, etc. And exposes a lot of peoples bad habits and what not.

How you missed all these things is beyond me. You clearly had some time of negative attitude coming in that you were going to dispell this guy. Nobody ever claimed that this ONE SONG was an end-all be-all to identifyng every single problem in hip hop and offering solutions to solve it. Is that what you expected? Because you act like it. Then you post your own song as if this is some kind of game of one up? Get lost troll.

I just made you look like a fool, wait----- you did that on your own. Now you know

edit on 1-8-2012 by theroguelion because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Well, it's just not easy for the kids these days.
They get raised in a mad world basicly, with not clear direction, Espeically young boys feel helpless I think often, with no people to look up for them, steering them in a direction.
And when at school they often think; why must I learn this, for what purpose (not interesting, like maths). The only thing you being told basicly; you must do good on school and if not you will not have a nice job&life! & the rest find out yourself with everyone living for themself, and even when you get a good job you still feel empty.

So no wonder you see them often escaping in bad habbit and having often bad morals.

It's just not the parents, it society and lack of genuine interest from people in other people.

edit on 1-8-2012 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by theroguelion

First of all, he is a different kind of rapper. By the very nature and content of this song he is different. He doesn't rap about weed, drugs, cars, money, materialistic things, and sex. Also he doesn't do many hooks and all his songs have plenty of substance. So your first point is completely blown away.

Ummmm, all of that is irrelevant. I posted that video at the end as an alternative critique of mainstream hip hop to this Hopspin clown. You started this thread using his song as an explanation of whats wrong with "our degenerate youth." Hopspin is just another symptom of whats wrong, the guys an idiot. The song was garbage and so is he as a rapper, lol. But im glad you realize that Pharohe's songs have substance. It give me some hope for you.

Secondly, he clearly talks about guys having sex, multiple times in the song. But why does that even matter? He never claimed this song was an end all be all description of problems. What exactly is your problem dude? Here are some examples anyway to prove you wrong once again: "you havin sex with every mutha #in body you see, with a past so dark..." "when i say fun what do you envision? prolly drinkin and smokin out with ya crew and chillin with clueless women you tryin to bang..." "Do you even have any goals aside from baggin these hoes?"

-_- He criticizes the guys for only being concerned about getting sex, not for the actual act. I was referring to later in the song when hes talking about going out to the club. He says "brainless bitches" which in and of itself is horrible and demeaning to women, but goes on the say "you want Romeo? you're not worthy, your cock thirsty, you're nasty and probably got herpes." So in a nutshell, hes saying if a girl has sex with a guy, shes stupid, not worthy of any man, and nasty.

Thirdly, if you think high school kids don't play beer pong you are a moron. Enough said.

Not where im from they don't.

Fourth, his exact quote is "all you interested in is fightin, rappin, and basketball" not playin ball. Did you even listen to the song? He obviously meant as in spectating, which is extremely common for blacks. You're obviously not black.

Lol, no that doesn't make any sense. Who is interested in fighting? Like just goes around hoping people will fight so they can watch? Hes clearly talking about being actively involved. But even if he did mean interested as in just something you like to watch or are stay up on, he still said rappin. If nobody was interested in rap, nobody would hear his music, either way it makes zero sense.

Fifth, he says that the gangsters in the street are acting like neanderthals. Thats ignorant? Are you kidding me? Calling a spade a spade is ignorant now? Geeze kid...

Nope, he says "Why do black people gotta be the only ones that can't evolve, cause you in the street acting like a neanderthal" Hes clearly saying black people are like neanderthals. He in no way differentiates from someone who is acting like a gangster.

Sixth, he is helping out. He could possibly wake people up. He actually gives decent advice in the song like "you won't romeo be patient". He also promotes labor, having goals, etc. And exposes a lot of peoples bad habits and what not.

Lol, he tells women to be more patient, yes, patient clearly meaning dont have sex. He gives no advice at all. All he does is criticize things he doesn't agree with. He never promotes labor or having goals.

Nobody ever claimed that this ONE SONG was an end-all be-all to identifyng every single problem in hip hop and offering solutions to solve it. Is that what you expected? Because you act like it. Then you post your own song as if this is some kind of game of one up? Get lost troll.

I just made you look like a fool, wait----- you did

I never said I thought that this one song should identify every problem with hip hop. However, he brought up a lot of issues within that one song and it was clear to me from the way he treated those that hes no different from the rappers hes blasting. No critical thought went into the creation of that song I promise you, and its clear hes not educated about the issues affecting the group hes criticizing. But all the hope I had for you in the beginning of this post is gone, lol. You fell into the same trap most "degenerate youth" fall into. You listen to music, but you dont hear it. Declaring yourself the winner, big man, lol.

edit on 1-8-2012 by acmpnsfal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Hasn't there always been some moral panic about degenerate youths in our society, from the rockers and teddy boys, to the punks and Acid house ravers of the 90's, all groups were described as degenerate and listening to music that could not be understood by the older generation. I think it is just people misunderstand young people. they are mostly portrayed negatively in the media. They want you to be scarred of young people, which unfortunately suits some young people. I never blame the kids, they are a product of their environment.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hawking
Popular music has always been controversial. The beatles have a song called run for your life. The lyrics: I'd rather see you dead little girl, than to be with another man.

Johnny cash: I took a shot of coc aine and I shot my woman down

Jimi Hendrix: I'm going down to shoot my old lady..I caught her messin round with another man

The rolling stones' song "****sucker blues": "Where can I get my **** sucked, where can I get my *** ****ed"

Not to mention that most of them openly glorified drug abuse and misogyny in the press. Hell Jimmy page was and is into aleister Crowley and satanism.
edit on 31-7-2012 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

hawking

You are so right. We all listened and did controversial stuff when we were teens.. Guess what?most of us then grew up to become responsible adults. Youth is a time to be silly. To be silly when you are over 30 is a crime!
edit on 1-8-2012 by Tiger5 because: typo

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tiger5

Originally posted by Hawking
Popular music has always been controversial. The beatles have a song called run for your life. The lyrics: I'd rather see you dead little girl, than to be with another man.

Johnny cash: I took a shot of coc aine and I shot my woman down

Jimi Hendrix: I'm going down to shoot my old lady..I caught her messin round with another man

The rolling stones' song "****sucker blues": "Where can I get my **** sucked, where can I get my *** ****ed"

Not to mention that most of them openly glorified drug abuse and misogyny in the press. Hell Jimmy page was and is into aleister Crowley and satanism.
edit on 31-7-2012 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

hawking

You are so right. We all listened and did controversial stuff when we were teens.. Guess what?most of us then grew up to become responsible adults. Youth is a time to be silly. To be silly when you are over 30 is a crime!
edit on 1-8-2012 by Tiger5 because: typo

The fact that 50% of Americans don't pay taxes these days (or so i've heard) proves your assumption that "most" of us grew up to become responsible adults wrong. And it would seem that number is rising with this new batch of kidz

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

So paying taxes + responsibility?? Whatever buddy
If paying taxes is your criteria well that is your right.
IMO life is a bit more complex than that. Also America is not the capital of the globe. Globally I maintain young people do some crazy stuff and then simply grow up.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Tiger5

People that don't pay taxes aren't making enough money.

Contrary to popular belief, there are A TON of jobs out there. You just have to have some kind of skill (that they will teach you for free in just about any high school in america). I guess people just expect to be hired when they have "NO skills AT ALL". Jobs that require skill will pay enough for people to pay taxes. If you werent responsible enough in high school to go to vocational school then thats okay. You get another chance.

Anybody in America that is impoverished, and has a ged/high school diploma, can get a pell grant that pays full tuition and books for community college. They teach ALL KINDS of skills at community college.

Say you #ed up high school and have no ged/diploma? The government will pay for your GED program! And they have very flexible hours so you can still work!

Don't have internet to research these opportunities? No worry! There is free internet at your local library!

The fact of the matter is, that any able bodied person that isn't paying taxes does not truly want to better themselves. I helped build a burrito factory once. I was green as could be, but I was making 13 bucks an hour. Towards the end people started training to work there --- for 8 bucks an hour. I asked my dad why people would actually work there when it was so easy to get a better job elsewhere. He said "some people are just satisfied with it". Part of that is true, because their FRIENDS (again relating to the song) also work there. Its pretty sad really.

The other day I was driving on the interstate and saw a billboard. It said "hiring welders -- 19-23 bucks an hour". There are so many opportunities in this country. Anybody could learn to weld for free.... simple fact.

But even if for some reason you can't get a pell grant... Government student loans accept anybody. There is simply no excuse for anyone over 21 to be working at mcdonalds.

edit on 1-8-2012 by theroguelion because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
Truth of the matter is, you can't be a bad person if you have impeccable grammer.

Sad but true.

Grammar**, you horrible horrible person you.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Well I fail to see what Pell grants or GEDs have to do with listening to crazy lyrics! You havwe lost me. I am an accountant and I just discovered limp bizkit! All manner of peropl pay taxes and listen to all sorts of music. All sorts of unemployed people listen to all sorts of music.

The Unemployment statistics and home repossessions are climbing.

FYI

It is the middle classes that are feeling the pain of unemployment.now also. The 80 destroyed the working class job base and now we see the destruction of the middle class job base.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join