It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman chases off Smart-meter installer with a gun. The cops support her.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
It's funny because as a non-American, i don't understand the need for a weapon.

It wasn't ingrained or indoctrinated into me as a child to bear arms for domestic purpose.

Although, that being said, i honestly don't see what else she could have possibly done seeing the inspector was pushing her aside, and was intruding.
He seemed like more of a threat, and obviously didn't take the fact that he was on someone else's property with much seriousness. So he had it coming.

Whether or not he had a job to do is irrelevant. If he's a contractor, he understands the risks. In other words, he didn't have to do what he did.

What i must ask, is, given all your gun laws, howcome people still actually disregard people's freedoms in your country? Wouldn't they be more afraid knowing anyone behind that house door is trigger happy?

I know i would! Hell, they'd have to pay me a lot of money just to be the local postie! haha

Usually, i'm sort of confused with your gun laws given the events that occur. Sure, they can be used as a great defense weapon, but surely the availability gives the criminals that leading edge over the people defending themselves - not everybody's defending themselves, but anybody can just walk in and buy a gun.

Maybe it's just my way of thinking. I can't judge the situation.
edit on 1-8-2012 by xxdaniel21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by emaildogs

That depends on the state. Most states you need a license.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Under The Gun

Originally posted by xxdaniel21
What i must ask, is, given all your gun laws, howcome people still actually disregard people's freedoms in your country? Wouldn't they be more afraid knowing anyone behind that house door is trigger happy?

The nature of mass media, especially in the Internet Age, is such that it tends to magnify the unusual.

While violent crimes committed with guns aren't uncommon in the U.S., most of them are gang-related and confined to inner cities where, despite the rampant nature of crime in these areas, it has largely become an accepted (though unwanted) fact of life.

The recent Colorado shooting rampage is another example. As horrible as they are, mass shootings are somewhat rare when considered in light of the national population and the circumstances unique to American life.

They do draw a lot of attention, and for those involved, the fact that they're rare is of little comfort. But to extrapolate cases like those to the nation as a whole is to generalize to a fallacious degree. They are the exception, and nowhere near the rule.

Unlike the sensationalized portrayals found in movies, TV, news reports and the Internet, the vast majority of Americans lead peaceful and happy lives, though the tough economic times blemish that happiness for many.

For nearly a third of a billion Americans, a typical day is a typical day, most of us don't even think about guns one way or the other, and very few of us spend our time hunched behind our front doors clutching a gun and waiting for trouble.

I'm sure some do, but in a nation of over 300 million people living on nearly four million square miles of land, you're bound to see just about everything.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Now, supporters of Taormina are urging her to press charges against the man, which she is considering.

She will lose the case. For one, it will be based on hearsay without witnesses to support her side of the story. The second, she has a service agreement with the utility company allowing them to service and upgrade equipment up to and including the power meter. The third, the jury will find the woman a bit nutty if she starts complaining about the health dangers of wifi.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

It's stories like this that make me love Texas

If I did this where I live I would have ended up in Jail.

That lady has every right to defend her property, I wish we all had that right. In most states the SWAT team would be there by now.
edit on 1-8-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Metatronin
I thought smart meters used an IR interface? Where are wi-fi meters added?

I have never seen a "Smart Meter." I have, however, been reading a lot about them. I think the Wifi is to send what the Smart Meter hears, as it supposedly has the capability to "hear" what is said inside the house. I cannot confirm this, but can anyone think of a better reason than to spy on us?

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Here in Oz we are having these smart meters installed and although nobody has got violent or threatening yet there is a huge movement throughout the Country attempting to have the installation stopped or removed if already installed.
The problem appears to be from a health point of view where there has not been any long term study on the effects.
I have had my installation deferred as I have a pre-existing medical problem where I suffered from heart palpitations (a very frightening experience resulting in my hospitalization for some days). There are people who are highly sensitive to these meters and my fear is that they could trigger the palpitations again. I am told that they only make emissions for 10 seconds 4 times per day. A previous poster stated that there were 'thousands'. Even a 10 second emission could be enough in my case so the electricity suppliers, on receiving a medical certificate from my doctor, have agree to suspend the installation until further research has been carried out.
Other people have locked their meter boxes and cut a hole in the front to allow readings to take place but preventing the installation.
The legislation here in Oz states that installers should "pursue every endeavour to install the meter" but cannot force home owners to have the units installed.
There will be much more to follow on this matter.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by freethinker123

Originally posted by freethinker123

A guy was just doing his job and had a gun pulled on him, I know all of you identify with the woman, but you must all also have jobs, imagine if you had his job...

Its his bosses who sent him to do some sneaky work without permission, but some ordingary guy like you or me was the victim.

How come that same argument does not work for soldiers?
Pot-Kettle-Black?
edit on 1-8-2012 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

Originally posted by Metatronin
I thought smart meters used an IR interface? Where are wi-fi meters added?

I have never seen a "Smart Meter." I have, however, been reading a lot about them. I think the Wifi is to send what the Smart Meter hears, as it supposedly has the capability to "hear" what is said inside the house. I cannot confirm this, but can anyone think of a better reason than to spy on us?

Yes, and they use TV screen to record what you are doing in the house.

Do they really need anything like that to spy on you? Get real.

If they going to spy on you, they better off use your computer or cell phone. Think about it.

I do get why huge power companies are working on modernization and trying to make greater profit. Not sure if those meters are causing any other interference and that might be an issue. (with huge amount of WiFi access point now everywhere)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

I think a pit bull tied up next to the meter would of been a better idea.
That or a pack of chihuahua's.

A big dog is just a good as a dog.
Or a dozen little ones.

gnaw your ankles off they will.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I just realized, Ive never checked this before, but I was wondering if they take power right off the grid, or are sneaky little F#cks and use the current homes electrical to pay for it to be transmitting and even turned on in the first place, it cant be much power, but it would add up over 30 years of owning a house. Hmmm

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Smart grid appliances have 2 antennas why would they need 2??

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Thank you for that info. I was wondering about some aspects of collection of data and transmission of it. From your link.

www.centerpointenergy.com...

Our Energy InSightSM system features digital smart meters with two-way communications able to send and receive information to and from consumers and CenterPoint Energy.

Send me information? What part of that don't I get? Is there a port to plug my lap top into my "smart" meter? Oh, I get it.... by "two way" they mean "active" monitoring (just observing) or able to determine whether anyone is home now. Handy bit of info that.

1st burglar: Is anyone home?
2nd burglar hacks Centerpoint data stream and determines that usage is so low as to preclude the house is vacant. Of course you could substitute any branch of government like the police or homeland security for "burglar". You could also hack records and note peoples "habits" (Leaves for work every day at 8 am).

Also "two way" comm. permit any future software updates to be downloaded to make your meter even "smarter".

I have a cable box on my TV and on more than one occasion my screen has gone blank with a notice: "Your software is being updated". Two way communication. Okaaay...

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
The old meters require a meter reader (like this guy) to come onto your property and possibly assault you, as this dummy did. Another possibility is that a meter reader comes onto your property and is assaulted by the property owner without provocation or gets attacked and injured by a dog, etc, etc. Avoiding that whole situation is in itself a good idea for power companies, is it not? Additionally it means that power companies can lower their overhead because SMART meters do not require a paid employee to come read it manually every month.

As for the health concerns, my own knowledge of electronics leads me to see it as a non-issue. If you use a cordless telephone, a cell phone or a wireless router, it is completely asinine to complain about the signal from a SMART meter.

Info on the SMART meter from www.arrl.org...:

The frequency of operation is typically in the 902 MHz and 2.4 GHz bands.

Power output is typically 1 watt in the 902 MHz band and much less in the 2.4 GHz band.

The intended range of a transmitter in a smart meter is typically very localized. While the utility-side radio needs to reach a neighborhood concentrator, typically mounted on a nearby pole, smart meters can also mesh through other smart meters to communicate with the concentrator (using five hops or less)...

The smart meter only communicates when it is commanded to do so, typically several times a day.

To put this into context, we can compare this to routers and cell phones (from www.ehs.uci.edu...):

Since Wi-Fi systems emit high-frequency electromagnetic radiation (at either 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz...), some concern has been raised regarding the safety of using a Wi-Fi system. But these systems generally emit at a very low power -- typically about 0.1 Watt emitted from both the computer antenna and the router antenna. The power falls off very rapidly beyond a few inches from the antennas. In comparison, cell phones emit between 0.6 Watts and 3 Watts (typically at about 1 Watt), generally at 1.9 GHz.

SMART meters are comparable to a wireless router in function and health risk. Compared to cell phone, which people typically have very close to them for most of the day (or in some cases 24/7), SMART meters are much less hazardous.

If you fear the big brother aspect of these new meters, then you can normally pay extra to keep your old meter. It may seem unfair that you have to pay extra to keep something you already have, but that's how commodities work; they get more expensive, especially when you want something special.

One way or another the smart grids are coming. Electric vehicles are on the horizon, and this is going significantly increase the demand on the grid. Power companies can either build a bunch of new power plants to meet that demand, or they improve efficiency to lower demand. Economics makes this a no-brainer; the grid is going to become more efficient.

Look how many rebate programs and incentives the Department of Energy and power companies offer for people to become more energy efficient. There is big money invested into the push towards a smart grid and for good reason. SMART meters are great for anyone trying to make their home or business more energy efficient.

The only real long term choice is going to be "become more efficient or get off the grid." If you are resourceful enough, you can use the SMART meter as a tool to help you do both.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr

1st burglar: Is anyone home?
2nd burglar hacks Centerpoint data stream and determines that usage is so low as to preclude the house is vacant. Of course you could substitute any branch of government like the police or homeland security for "burglar". You could also hack records and note peoples "habits" (Leaves for work every day at 8 am).

Can't they use current meters set on visible places to determine the same information??

As for question about antennas, they are just for better reception. I have WiFi equipment that has 3 antennas just to be able to push more data more reliably.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

Of course the wifi is using more of your electricity to do so

In five years, instead of asking people to turn off their AC, the smart meter will just turn it off if it is new enough to be a smart appliance.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Out here, my understanding is, the meters are using power line communications. That seems simpler then wi-fi and concentration points and relays back to a central point.

If must mean wi-fi meters are very much cheaper even with all the associated equipment or they are more versatile but then there must be more in the plan than just getting a reading.

Wi-fi manufacturer bribe system in place?

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

And how will they get people to willfully go out and purchase these when the one they have is working just fine? Offer people money, tax breaks, etc etc. People will do it, because some suit says so. Oh, and I bet they throw in a freebie to make it fun. Maybe an app, so that you can see how much electricity the refrigerator used in the last hour. Oh how fun that would be, especially when you can check it while on vacation on the other side of the country.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Well, things seem to be manufactured to just break every few years these days

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
There was a big fuss over these "smart" meters in DFW a few years ago. Most people who got them noticed that their electric bills were suddenly much higher. The power companies admitted that there could be "errors" which cause the bill to be higher than it should be. I noticed there wasn't an issue with the power bill being lower.

www.nbcdfw.com...

People from all over the Metroplex went to Grand Prairie's city hall Saturday morning to complain about Oncor's new smart meters. Nearly 800,000 homes in North Texas are equipped with the new meters, but thousands of those residents say the new system is broken, and now it's breaking them.

Those upset people from all over the DFW area took to the podium to speak their piece. "Instead of pointing fingers at each other, we need to find the problem and fix it now," said Grand Prairie resident Trina Hall. "nothing has changed so there's no reason why the electric bill has doubled except the new meter that has come in."

Oncor representatives were also at the meeting. Their stance is that there's nothing wrong with the smart meters. "We are absolutely confident that the accuracy of these meters is what it should be" said Oncor spokesman Chris Schein. He says the high bills are from the cold weather, or in about 7,000 cases, human error.

But some legislators aren't buying it. State Representative Kirk England said, "I think there's a problem, and I think it's more than just weather." Some residents say the proof of that, is right in the bills. "Now, it's just as high as my mortgage. My mortgage is right at $800, my electric bill is $755" said Bruce Stovall.

Oncor has brought in a third party to test the meters.. But the results could take months. Months these residents say they don't have. "Someone needs to have a voice for us citizens" Hall said. Oncor says they've already done 2,800 onsite meter tests and won't stop until every complaint is addressed. Until the tests are finished, oncor is suggesting that people compare their current electrical provider's cost, with other companies by going to www.righttochoose.org.

Most people were angry and wanted those pieces of spy crap off their houses, and the old meters put back into place.

As for this lady, it's Texas, and here in Texas, if there is a trespasser that you are afraid of, you have the right to fill 'em full of lead on your property. She denied his access, he still pushed his way in, and pushed her around in order to force her to get something that the power companies say are voluntary.

If I were the power company lawyers, I would offer her an out-of-court settlement, before it goes to a jury trial. How many people like the electric company? ZERO. It is likely the jury will side with the woman, as nobody likes these smart meters, and are tired of paying insane amounts each month for basic electricity. Texans take the right of protection of their property quite seriously, and a jury will relish sticking it to The Man.

Give her the old meter back, settle out of court, and then leave her the hell alone. That idiot installer was lucky she didn't shoot his sorry butt. I would have.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join