It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Self-Hypnosis actually work?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I came across this website and it got me thinking... I understand meditation and all that stuff but this lady sells hypnosis CD's to do some incredible things like for example - Allergy Control Hypnosis. How can hypnosis control allergies?

Allergy Control Hypnosis helps you to develop in your mind a vision of a life free of allergies. It will help you to commit to the hypnosis sessions and put in the time necessary to help in the re-education of your mind. This re-wiring of the mind will help you to realize that you are free of allergies for good. Your subconscious mind will allow you to feel good in all situations! You can imagine yourself becoming completely free of allergy symptoms, your mind will naturally and easily allow that to happen.

Anybody have any experience with something like it? if yes did it actually work?

Hyptalk

edit on 31-7-2012 by maxella1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Growing up I was a sever asthmatic, going to the hospital all the time, In despiration my Doctor sent me to a therapist that taught self hypnosis.

Did jack all for my asthma, but to this day I can lower my heart rate and blood pressure with self meditation, its simply getting your self to a calm state.

Don't know about all the other claims made about it though.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by maxella1

For some people it works well, others not so much. Open mind helps a lot, going in thinking it's a crock of # will make it so. There have been some amazing stories out there, like having a tooth extraction with no novacain or laughing gas, using self hypnosis as the only pain killer. Getting rid of phobias, PTSD, anxiety attacks.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

For some people it works well, others not so much. Open mind helps a lot, going in thinking it's a crock of # will make it so. There have been some amazing stories out there, like having a tooth extraction with no novacain or laughing gas, using self hypnosis as the only pain killer. Getting rid of phobias, PTSD, anxiety attacks.

Thats one aspect I can attest too, I had a cap fall off one of my teeth, exposed nerve on a Sat night, hurt like hell, blinding pain.

Simply stopped and meditated the pain away, thats one aspect that is true, some pain can be soothed this way.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Yes. Self-hypnosis works. I have used it for many years. But it takes time to become proficient at it. The amount of time differs from person to person. It's an awesome tool to have in your life.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Did jack all for my asthma, but to this day I can lower my heart rate and blood pressure with self meditation, its simply getting your self to a calm state.

I'm surprised. Usually hypnosis works well in the treatment of asthma. Everyone's different though.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I believe it can work if implemented correctly and by the right person who is easily hypnotized. However. I've know two people, both very different mentally, who went to learn self hypnosis therapy and it has not worked for either. One swears it works but seems to be just as bad mentally as they were on day one. The other firmly believes that it does not work and discarded its usage after a few months.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
Yes. Self-hypnosis works. I have used it for many years. But it takes time to become proficient at it. The amount of time differs from person to person. It's an awesome tool to have in your life.

Can you recommend something to help becoming proficient at it? I'm thinking about trying it on some issues i have. - Thanks!

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

I'm surprised. Usually hypnosis works well in the treatment of asthma. Everyone's different though.

Well it could be the mold we found in the crawl spaces of the house I grew up in that was the cause of most of my child asthma woes...

personal experience was it didn't work, but again other circumstances at play.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

That's a tough one. Most of what I read was in the 70's when I first learned hypnosis, meditation, and so on. There is a book by Pierre Clement called "Hypnosis and Accelerated Learning", that is supposed to be an excellent tutorial for learning self-hypnosis. It's highly recommended by some. You might also check out stevegjones.com. He's built quite a good reputation for himself. He is also board certified. There is some good free info online, but be cautious, there's also some bad unfortunately.

If I can think of something else that will help, I'll send it your way.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified

That's a tough one. Most of what I read was in the 70's when I first learned hypnosis, meditation, and so on. There is a book by Pierre Clement called "Hypnosis and Accelerated Learning", that is supposed to be an excellent tutorial for learning self-hypnosis. It's highly recommended by some. You might also check out stevegjones.com. He's built quite a good reputation for himself. He is also board certified. There is some good free info online, but be cautious, there's also some bad unfortunately.

If I can think of something else that will help, I'll send it your way.

Thank you!

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Self hypnosis really works Self hypnosis really worksSelf hypnosis really worksSelf hypnosis really worksSelf hypnosis really worksSelf hypnosis really worksSelf hypnosis really worksSelf hypnosis really worksSelf hypnosis really works

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow Herder
Self hypnosis really works Self hypnosis really worksSelf hypnosis really worksSelf hypnosis really worksSelf hypnosis really worksSelf hypnosis really worksSelf hypnosis really worksSelf hypnosis really worksSelf hypnosis really works

Oh that's how it works.... I get it now.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 03:32 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Text Purplereply to post by maxella1

Self Hypnosis should only be practiced by those who have been trained. Hopefully by someone knowledgeable in this or trained to teach it.
The article or whatever you read, is NOT Self Hypnosis even though that is the label it was given.
It, the article, if you're basing Self Hypnosis on that, is actually called, Self Conditioning." Like Mazlov's Bell & Dog experiment.
Even Self Conditioning takes about 98% practice by those who can, should STILL be taught to you.
Both require self discipline, willingness, a clear mind, certainty & a Lot of PRACTICE.
Neither 'just happens' after reading instructions or taking a two hour course.
Both require DEDICATION.
You STILL need Self Discipline BEFORE learning Self Hypnosis or Hypnosis of ANY kind.
It does come easily & quickly for some. Not a majority.
If it is something you truly want, it is disciplinary like any martial arts & meditation practices for proper training in martial arts.
It also requires much focus.
There ARE short classes you can take but the old saying," Knowledge can be a wonderful thing, a LITTLE knowledge can be a dangerous thing." Which is very applicable here or you could hurt yourself, others if attempting to try on someone else, can cause you nightmares & all sorts of little goodies like that or similar or worse.
I've been trained. 8 years. Even that is not always enough though so I don't have a Guru ette? ess? fantasy.
I was a Registered Nurse who switched over to a Bachelor in Registered Psychiatric Nurse with a Bachelor of Science in Mental Health as well as much meditation and self discipline in all forms of martial arts & I worked for a stage Hypnotist on the side for about 20 years off & on. Meaning whenever he performed.
Now the pro's lol!
Almost immediately both self discipline & Self Hypnosis can allow you to shut off your hearing & have you only see a test or exam.
It's very handy as a study tool
It is a useful tool for yoga, martial arts, etc.
You CAN get rid of pain but there are other factors that play rolls in that such as trained breathing patterns, the way you sit, lay, stand, etc.
You can tune out every distraction
You can make a Grapefruit more sweet and tasty than an orange
You can give yourself strength
Possibilities are ALMOST limitless but NOT 100%
NOW Allergies; You MAY be able to lessen YOUR reaction to some in various degrees BUT NOT all AND there are other factors in this also such as maintaining a level of calm, how many other allergens you may not even know you are allergic to, temperature, environment, & so much more but NEVER EVER rely on this for SEVERE TO ANAPHALATIC ALLERGIES AS THAT WOULD BE A SURE 99.9999% OF YOU DYING! ALWAYS HAVE BACK-UPS.

Now for me? I find it very helpful for work, ONLY somewhat for my health issues such as allergies when there are other interfering factors, but I love the fun aspects most. It can rid you of your anxiety or greatly lesson it & THAT is usually a problem for other problems Self Obedience & Hypnosis are generally used for.
It's also a form of great entertainment, like you can go somewhere awesome without leaving home, accomplish amazing but realistic goals, dream what YOU want to dream when you sleep, control & recall the dream, give yourself, etc.

FACT: A HYPNOTIST CAN NOT REALLY HYPNOTIZE YOU, YOU ACTUALLY HYPNOTIZE YOURSELF TO FOLLOW THE HYPNOTIST'S SUGGESTIONS. IF ANYTHING THE HYPNOTIST GOES AGAINST YOUR MORES AND VALUES, YOU INSTANTLY WAKE, WHICH LETS HYPNOTISTS AND POSSIBLE OTHERS, A CLUE OF THE REAL YOU AND WHAT YOU ARE POTENTIALLY CAPABLE OF. GOOD OR BAD.

The Hypnotist I worked with, he could make me look at the ceiling and see a huge coloured tv on which the movie would be a suggested portion of my life, make me go stiff as a board light as a feather, position my neck on the back of 1 chair while another would position my ankles to the back of another chair & get this, I'm 100lbs if. The big male Hypnotist would, in my state, walk and jump on my torso. Or I'd be place on a bed of nails & he did the waling & jumping, I never felt either, there no marks on my body, & I never hurt after in anyway. Had me forget my name, see ghosts, an invisible man, leave out the numbers 6 & 13 while counting to 20, think I was a Cop in a shoot out, be stuck standing on the floor feeling like I had to pee but not allowed to till he said." move! Go to the rest room & empty your bladder now! BUT being a brunette Dolly Parton, one that cannot sing, at all, he couldn't resist, one show, he put a blond wig on me, gave me a mic & told me to sing a Dolly original," I will always love you." Because, The Best Little Chicken House in Texas," was JUST big. He said," Go near the railing Miss Dolly, & shake that chest at your fans in the 1st row, turn them on yeah!"
Guess what? I sang, beautifully, almost just like her! BUT... I guess it fully went against my more & values at that time lol! I awoke. 1st time. He now knew the line.

Lastly? THINK! How many people go to hypnotists for pain? To lose weight? To quit smoking or other addicted BEHAVIORS etc? Maybe, JUST maybe, you know someone it may have worked on? How many was that? How long did it last before saying they HAD to go back & have it redone because they think the hypnotic suggestion was working, ( For 6 weeks say, well many of US smokers have done this many times on our own for 6 week or 5 years even ) but must have worn off so they HAD to get re-hypnotized and have their post hypnotic suggestion redone?

They only hypnotized themselves to begin with but had some personal event that broke their own hypnosis but believe their hypnotist ( We usually have someone help us decide what to do for certain things ) who only suggested it, was 100% the Hypnotists's doing..

I HAVE written a book on this and a short movie documentary but I can't tell you the names or anything.

new topics

top topics

join