It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress Wants to See Obama's "License to Kill"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+41 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Congress Wants to See Obama's "License to Kill"

Congress is finally standing up to President Barack Obama on targeted killing. Almost a year after three American citizens were killed in US drone strikes, legislators are pushing the administration to explain why it believes it's legal to kill American terror suspects overseas.

Congress is considering two measures that would compel the Obama administration to show members of Congress what Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) calls Obama's "license to kill": internal memos outlining the legal justification for killing Americans overseas without charge or trial. Legislators have been asking administration officials to release the documents for nearly a year, raising the issue multiple times in hearings and letters. But the new proposals, including one from Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) first flagged by blogger Marcy Wheeler and another in a separate intelligence bill, aren't requests—they would mandate disclosure. That shift shows both Republicans and Democrats are growing impatient with the lack of transparency on targeted killings.

Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!

"We're not mere supplicants to the executive branch, we are a coequal branch of government," Cornyn said during discussion of his amendment in the Senate committee hearing last week. "So it is insufficient to say pretty please, Mr. President, pretty please, Mr. Attorney General, will you please tell us the legal authority by which you claim the authority to kill American citizens abroad?" (Cornyn also noted that just because he wants to see the memo doesn't mean he'd necessarily disagree with its contents.)

Oh yes you do need those stinking badges and we're the ones who issue those badges, see? If you want a license to kill, Mr. President, we may grant you one, but don't think for a single second that you alone get to kill without a license, that's Congress' job and if we're going to let you do it too then you're going to have to ask for our approval first. We don't mind you killing American's Mr. President. What we mind is that you're doing it without our consent.

edit on 31-7-2012 by Jean Paul Zodeaux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Glad to see you back Jean Paul! S&F I hope this amounts to something, but I am not getting my hopes up!

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

What ???!!!

Congress growing some ?

I hope this isnt smoke and mirrors.....

S&F

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I have to admit that at one time I actually supported Obama on this. The Americans were, in my mind, "enemy combatants".

I was subsequently schooled and have been educated on what Obama actually did.

I will watch this thread with interest.
edit on 31-7-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

+13 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Americans SHOULD be marching to Washington on this issue alone...

Oh wait somethings on tv...

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

I like how you point out that the real issue isn't that Obama is killing people he deems a threat, yet Congress is angry that they are being left out of the process. They could care less about the people that are being killed, they are only concerned at their loss of the power of death.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
Americans SHOULD be marching to Washington on this issue alone...

Oh wait somethings on tv...

Yup, like the olympics for instance?

I always make it a point to watch a little bit, even if its just the nightly recaps. Ever since I was little and wanted to go to the 84 L.A. Olympics... I had an aunt that promised me "next time there in LA we will take you" Son of a .... taking advantage of a 5 year olds knowledge of the world...

Sorry, but making the comment about TV is a bit rich after I saw this...

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by mee30

Yep, and I routinely write my congressmen and house representatives, volunteered for the RP campaign making calls.

Keeping up with the nightly Olympic totals is hardly sitting on my ass like the standard couch potato...

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
The only way your going to get the attention of the masses is when he starts killing Americans on the streets of America anywhere else in the world it's meh so what.

They sure did crucify Bush on his murder tho sure shows the double standard of American politics and it's congress.

The only thing Obama has done is create more "terrorists".

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Doom and Gloom

A bit more than that I suspect. How many other liberties has this administration taken with their "power". Executive privilege for instance has been stretched a bit farther then it's supposed too. As the potus can veto bills so congress can limit executive power. Obama needs to learn his limitations
This is a a little late but a good thing.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

They sure did crucify Bush on his murder tho sure shows the double standard of American politics and it's congress.

I am unfamiliar what American Citizens did bush order killed?

I am sure many had their rights violated though being sent to Gitmo and extraordinary rendition.

Every American should be outraged anytime our elected officials violate their oaths of office by subverting the constitution.

Rep, Dem, it doesn't matter the outcry should be the same.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

That sums it up best really Americans had more problems with "rendition" than they do of the current guy in the oval office on his murdering sprees.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

That sums it up best really Americans had more problems with "rendition" than they do of the current guy in the oval office on his murdering sprees.

Does it? I said we should be marching to DC on the "murder spree" alone...

as I said.

Rep, Dem, it doesn't matter the outcry should be the same.

They are all criminals, not a one should get a pass for their crimes.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
reply to post by mee30

Yep, and I routinely write my congressmen and house representatives, volunteered for the RP campaign making calls.

Keeping up with the nightly Olympic totals is hardly sitting on my ass like the standard couch potato...

Hmmmm well although I like ron paul and at first I really liked what he had to say, I later found out he wasn't actually consistent... For instance he will say that the federal government has no right to be involved in your personal affairs right? But he believes the states should?
Sorry that is not good enough for me... So in that respect I think you have wasted your time, although it is most certainly well intentioned I'm sure...

Writing to your congressmen? Again I'm sure that was filed promptly in the waste basket... So I would deem that a waste of time too...

In fact I deem all forms of political action a waste of time now... Believe me though I have spent many an hour defending ron paul and begging people to vote for him (before I came to my senses), so I don't look down on you for doing what you do... It is as I say well intentioned I'm sure... Btw I don't even live in america...

It just kinda tickled me a bit to see you take a swipe at the TV while previously admitting to watching it... No biggy really, was more of a joke than anything else.... Let me buy you a beer.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by mee30

It just kinda tickled me a bit to see you take a swipe at the TV while previously admitting to watching it... No biggy really, was more of a joke than anything else.... Let me buy you a beer.

Just saying if you really want to get nit picky, I actually don't have "tv" service, just internet, to which I now download an watch anything that interest me.

Because I am critical of the level of television watching that takes place in America does that mean I can not watch anything on the "tv"?

Its funny that you felt it necessary to look at my post history to deliver that tid bit of information.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Just saying if you really want to get nit picky, I actually don't have "tv" service, just internet, to which I now download an watch anything that interest me. Because I am critical of the level of television watching that takes place in America does that mean I can not watch anything on the "tv"? Its funny that you felt it necessary to look at my post history to deliver that tid bit of information.

I'm not here to pick a fight with you dude...

I was literally moments before reading the other thread and then saw your comment in here.. I haven't gone through your post history I merely backed up the page to get it... I've never bothered to go through someones post history...

Again it was just a little funny I was trying to make, but if it makes you fell any better you are totally vindicated for not having a TV service, and I watch films... Okay? Friends again? (not that we were but you know...)

Oh and you were spot on about the amount of time people spend on the TV, it took me some time to convince my partner to give it up, she was a complete soap junkie when we met.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I want to see his SSN and some conversations...ATTACK..... Traitor...similar to Jane "POS" Fonda!

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Difficult to feel sympathy for a few dead Yanks when so many others of another denominations have been sacrificed in the name of so called US 'national security'.

None of it seems to work, anyway ...as evinced on Sept. 11, 2001.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Sablicious

I do believe it is time we exercised our power and let these "employees" know that the empirical decision making is ours alone! We have neglected our duties long enough. It is time for the people to take the reigns and be responsible for their own actions and to make their own decisions. So to you, our representatives, step back and let us clean up your mess!

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Oh yes you do need those stinking badges and we're the ones who issue those badges, see? If you want a license to kill, Mr. President, we may grant you one, but don't think for a single second that you alone get to kill without a license, that's Congress' job and if we're going to let you do it too then you're going to have to ask for our approval first. We don't mind you killing American's Mr. President. What we mind is that you're doing it without our consent.

edit on 31-7-2012 by Jean Paul Zodeaux because: (no reason given)

And THAT'S the ball game.

In essence, all government is (or, has become) is a way to find enough of a consensus that you legitimize whatever it is you are doing. Sure, you may not need a whole lot of consensus to legitimize things like building bridges, etc. But you would think that more consensus would be required to kill anyone. Yet, apparently it is unilateral.

I guess we should feel better that Congress wants oversight. But that really only serves to remind us that, as you said, Congress doesn't condemn the killing without due process. It condemns the killing without due process that THEY didn't approve.

It is just a group of men that have found a way to legitimize whatever it is they do. It doesn't have to be Constitutional, moral, or in the best interest of the US. It just has to have their consensus. And why wouldn't they give it? Not giving it only serves to reduce their own power.

And that is what is being protected here: Congressional power. It has nothing to do with protecting life.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join