It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twitter Troll Arrested For Abusing & Threatening Olympic Diving Star Tom Daley

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
reply to post by blupblup

Strange, that England, land of a Billion Cameras, wouldnt have had something on the books.....

But I read the link provided, and they already have laws, in place.

Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994
Malicious Communications Act 1998/Telecommunications Act 1984
Communications Act 2003 - Section 127

All of those would cover it, yes....but I guess they're talking about making it a specific offence with it's own scale and so on.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Maybe the new law, would speed the process of arresting someone?

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Maybe the new law, would speed the process of arresting someone?

Exactly, without grey areas, loops holes and so on.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
What this kid did was completely wrong, but why give idiots like this a stage in the first place?

If Olympic athletes were more worried about their performance, and less worried about selling books and their public image, they would not need to be on Twitter during the Olympics. But I suppose they have to figure out how to make money like everyone else.

I have nothing against Tom Daley (never heard of him before today) ... most of the successful athletes are doing the same thing.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
So the UK, passed a law, that allows other people to get arrested if you are "offended" by their speech?

Is this what I'm reading?

P-A-T-H-E-T-I-C

~Tenth

I wonder if these laws came into existence when immigrants who were insulted and did not have the personal control not to start a fight over it? I could see this being implemented when Muslims get insulted and riot about some religious insult?

just a thought.....

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
An absolute waste of police time and resources. People get 'trolled' and abused on the internet all day but do their abusers get arrested? Nope.

Just because it was an athlete the guy gets arrested. If it was anyone else it would have obviously gone unnoticed.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by fnpmitchreturns

I wonder if these laws came into existence when immigrants who were insulted and did not have the personal control not to start a fight over it? I could see this being implemented when Muslims get insulted and riot about some religious insult?

just a thought.....

This is a thread about a Twitter Troll...

Not a platform for you to spout your xenophobic, Islamophobic BS

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
GOOD !!!

there is no difference between typing it and saying it to someones face

don't let cowards and bullies hide behind keyboards anymore

teenagers kill themselves over cyber bullying, get rid of it. lock em up

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
How does crappy sense of humor and poor manners= jail time...

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

It's perfectly legal to make fun of someone to their face.....

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
What a waste of money sending the police to arrest this half wit.

So what if made a nasty tweet.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I understand where your coming from but in England it has always been an offense to issue death threats to somebody in person. this may be on the internet but it is still the same crime.

i also agree with the other poster who said this is only an issue because it is a 'national hero' and that most of the time it goes unnoticed.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
its seems to me that this law is applied and enforced only when famous vip's or politicians are involved.

even though tasteless and the kid needs to be punched out thoroughly, that can't be the worst thing ever said on twitter, youtube or facebook.

if they actually applied the malicious communications act to everyone evenly, which we would hope from our law enforcement servants, twitter would have 300 members.

this law needs to be scrapped because it has become a tool of selective persecution.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

^

The person was deceased but insulting them = jail time. Not right, but jail time?

Originally posted by randomname
It's seems to me that this law is applied and enforced only when famous vip's or politicians are involved.

This law needs to be scrapped because it has become a tool of selective persecution.

Indeed. It's always someone famous or someone very popular. I consider internet forums or social networks to be an informal form of communicating, where people often insult, troll and flat out lie, among other things.

I bet you any money that if it was someone typing from a 3rd world country, I can guarantee nothing will be done. Try and prosecute someone trolling from a pakistan internet cafe. They'll look once at the IP address and close the case faster than a speeding petaflop.
edit on 31-7-2012 by igor_ats because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by igor_ats

Britain has no jurisdiction over Pakistan so that would be the case.

I would, however, urge anyone who hasnt already to look at the type of things this character was tweeting to others. This wasn't someone who said something once, in the heat of the moment - around half of his tweets involve a threat to kill, rape, kidnap...its unlikely that he would definitely do something like IRL but how many times have criminals suggested future, criminal actions and nothing was done at the time?

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   
They should just make the offender jump of one of the highest diving boards for punishment and leave it that.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   
I've been following this story & have found a youtube clip of the delightful Rileyy69 which may interest.

All I can really conclude is a bolt gun would be more appropriate than a prison sentence......It would be a lot cheaper & actually solve the problem too

Some people society could do without.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by supradupradotcom

The guy has over 50,000 followers on twitter. I think he may be clinically insane. Maybe I need to be a bit more "controversial" to get more followers.

It's actually quite a worrying modern phenomena. People doing things to get their little moment of fame. The media ends up making such a huge deal out of these things the perpetrator, ends up taking on almost celebrity status. It's a weird world we live in.
edit on 1-8-2012 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Anders Breivik

James Holmes

and.... Rileyy69?

Damn.... the guy has issues.
edit on 1/8/12 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

ah British youth..... the decline in education and communication abilities and the constant use of the word bruv and f*** explains it all.

I thought the bolt gun was a bit harsh until i saw the video. there is no excuse for raising somebody like this = parent fail.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join