It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Nano God Technology - This is the future!

page: 1
22
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I just read this short and very interesting article on the goals and potential capabilities of Nano technology and its implications for the future. Short and sweet, enjoy.

The next few paragraphs provide a brief introduction to the core concepts of nanotechnology, followed by links to further reading. Manufactured products are made from atoms. The properties of those products depend on how those atoms are arranged. If we rearrange the atoms in coal we can make diamond.
And it goes further than this..

If we rearrange the atoms in sand(and add a few other trace elements) we can make computer chips. If we rearrange the atoms in dirt, water and air we can make potatoes
But what if it goes further than that still? Maybe some creation stories could have been in part inspired by highly advanced extra terrestrials. Extra terrestrials with matter shaping, rearranging and manufacturing technology at a level which we won't accomplish for hundreds if not thousands of years..

"Nanotechnology" has become something of a buzzword and is applied are often largely unrelated to nanotechnology. While these broader usages encompass many valuable evolutionary improvements of existing technology, molecular nanotechnology will open up qualitatively new and exponentially expanding opportunities on a historically unprecedented scale. We will use the word "nanotechnology" to mean "molecular nanotechnology"
This is big, this is the future and we need to get on board. Lets just pray for ethics..

Nano tech will allow us to: Achieve the ultimate in precision: rearrange every atom in exactly the right place Make complex and molecularly intric structures as easily and inexpensively as simple materials. Reduce manufacturing costs to little more than the cost of the required resource materials and energy.
I don't want to plague the article, the rest, which is brilliant is here.

Whether we like it or not such tech as molecular nano, transhuman (bio-mechanics, augmentation, neuro-linking-chips), Artificial intelligence/consciousness and free energy technologies ARE the future. It was inevitable from the moment we started probing, creating and asking why.

Don't get me wrong.. the future of technology scares the hell out of me too. With humanities dismal track record and a proven thirst for blood the future of technology and humanity itself could get a lot more ugly.

BUT. I have far from lost hope. Even currently we have the technology and resources to build somewhat of a utopia. We just have to sort out humanities Achilles heel.. Greed.

Once we stop hating, killing and conspiring in the name of money we can use our human intellect for the good of all.. Free electricity, food, clean water and gold for everyone


Just as soon as we de-throne the economic tyrants that stand in the way that is..
edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)




posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
They were saying exactly the same about nanotech back in the 90s, how it was just around the corner, etc. I'm less optimistic these days, especially since governments think handing over trillions to a few private bankers is more important than scientific discovery. Hell, man doesn't even go into space any more.

Anyway, one of the coolest nanotech ideas has to be the Nokia Morph:

Link here...



posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique
 


I believe the main hold up in nanotech is fear... it's a self-replicating form of artificial intelligence. Gray goo doomsday scenario, anyone? (Had to throw that in there.) I think nanotech would change everything about our existence, but is that in itself a good thing?

One can hardly know at this point. Nice article and links, thanks for posting this!



posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique
 


I'd certainly love to see the application of molecular nanotechnology reach the point where we could "print" our own replacement bodies.
It sounds a little goulish, but, from a medical standpoint it'd be a wonderful way of doing away with disease, irreparable mutations, aging, mitigating physical traumas, injuries, amputations, and essentially everything that applies to anything that can go wrong with our bodies.

We could then hermit-crab to new, fresh bodies from time to time.

Pros to this would be:
1. a step in the direction of eliminating the "race", as well as "sex" card. Anyone could be White, Black, Brown, Red, Yellow, whatever, or have come from such at one time or another. The same thing goes for male and female as a matter of choice/preference.
2. elimination of most mortality and physiological quality of life issues concerning health, and wellness.

Cons to this, however, are also plenty:
1. overpopulation is already a concern right now.
2. if no one dies of natural causes, and only so when extreme physical trauma takes place, this could effect societal moral conscience and regard regarding treatment of others from a physical perspective.
3. if no one dies of natural causes, additional strain will be put on planetary resources with less people checking out.
4. with printable bodies, goulish practices with taboo markets for human meat could arise.
5. prostitution, slavery and other human exploitative abuses down to the lowest common denominator could become legal with printed bodies imprinted with "artificial" software, and personalities.
6. expectations regarding employment, retirement, labor, and other such would likely become trouble and require addressing the more accessible printed replacement bodies become. When, if ever, is it acceptable to retire, move on, and make room for new blood?
7. what if artificial software personalities, fully trained, pre-packaged with 1000 years of experience and learning, unshakably loyal and honest with the 'owners', become better performing, more efficient, more trustworthy, and entirely more reliable in a printed body than a naturally born and raised personality in the workforce, regardless the job or level of expertise and precision?

This list of cons could go on, and would far outweigh the benefits in number, if not addressed with appropriate laws regarding printed bodies for life extension, replacement, and other such.

All in all, however, it'd be like any other advance where the world gets both better and worse at the same time. Mitigating the down-side would need be a necessity of vast importance.

I'm all for transhuam, posthuman, metahuman next level development, but not without recognition of the problems such could also bring about, with plans and mechanisms in place for managing such.


edit on 31-7-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
With every single technological advancement in history we have figured out a way to use it to kill more people.
Technology at this point is mearly a word which is code for "killing more people,more efficiantly".

In this case yes, we would be able to re-arrange molecules to make whatever we want like, medicines,jewels,food,etc,

But not before the Military Industrial Complex gets involved and finds out how it can be used to....."kill more people,more efficiantly".
That is their goal and that is what every new advancement in technology will get us until we learn a better way.



posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique
BUT. I have far from lost hope. Even currently we have the technology and resources to build somewhat of a utopia. We just have to sort out humanities Achilles heel.. Greed.


The root of all evil.



posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla


I'd certainly love to see the application of molecular nanotechnology reach the point where we could "print" our own replacement bodies.
It sounds a little goulish, but, from a medical standpoint it'd be a wonderful way of doing away with disease, irreparable mutations, aging, mitigating physical traumas, injuries, amputations, and essentially everything that applies to anything that can go wrong with our bodies.

We could then hermit-crab to new, fresh bodies from time to time.

Pros to this would be:
1. a step in the direction of eliminating the "race", as well as "sex" card. Anyone could be White, Black, Brown, Red, Yellow, whatever, or have come from such at one time or another. The same thing goes for male and female as a matter of choice/preference.
2. elimination of most mortality and physiological quality of life issues concerning health, and wellness.


I have long believed that humanity will eventually emulate spirituality with technology. We have been seeing this transition with online personas and in digital gaming. We will create our own mortality/afterlife system here on Earth that will closely resemble the spiritual version.

This is a good thing and it will be our next step in evolution.



Originally posted by Druscilla
Cons to this, however, are also plenty:
1. overpopulation is already a concern right now.
2. if no one dies of natural causes, and only so when extreme physical trauma takes place, this could effect societal moral conscience and regard regarding treatment of others from a physical perspective.
3. if no one dies of natural causes, additional strain will be put on planetary resources with less people checking out.
4. with printable bodies, goulish practices with taboo markets for human meat could arise.
5. prostitution, slavery and other human exploitative abuses down to the lowest common denominator could become legal with printed bodies imprinted with "artificial" software, and personalities.
6. expectations regarding employment, retirement, labor, and other such would likely become trouble and require addressing the more accessible printed replacement bodies become. When, if ever, is it acceptable to retire, move on, and make room for new blood?
7. what if artificial software personalities, fully trained, pre-packaged with 1000 years of experience and learning, unshakably loyal and honest with the 'owners', become better performing, more efficient, more trustworthy, and entirely more reliable in a printed body than a naturally born and raised personality in the workforce, regardless the job or level of expertise and precision?



Many of your cons are based on a world with limited resources and space. If we reached a nanotech level of being able to replicate and replace our human bodies, rest assured we will not have a shortage of food, energy, and other comforts. This step in technology will make currency and trading obsolete.

You bring up some other points about how it will change our moral view on mortality. It's one thing I haven't considered. However, the world now greatly treats our bodies and health as commodities that are deeply (and unethically) tied to our economy. So maybe we will put less value on our physical incarnations but... is that really such a bad thing if it is something so fluid that can be replaced on a whim? I think it will bring about an independence and peace never known before in human evolution.

I remember something that Kurzweil said that went something along the lines of "We are either the last generation to die or the first to live forever". I agree.



posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Sweet! Another thing we can envy the rich for having. Do you really think the average joes will be getting their hands on that? Yeah right.....



posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
Sweet! Another thing we can envy the rich for having. Do you really think the average joes will be getting their hands on that? Yeah right.....


When we hit the peak, they won't be able to stop the poor from attaining it nor will they be able to stop the technology from attaining the poor.

Sounds cryptic and evil but basically it just means that it will be a self-propelling science and a nano-tech snowball rolling down a hill is unstoppable.



posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
Sweet! Another thing we can envy the rich for having. Do you really think the average joes will be getting their hands on that? Yeah right.....

Maybe not but we could see the benefits.. in an ideal world.



posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
In a nanotech world there is nothing to stop you or I from creating our own spaceships, our own planets and our own universes and our own realities. That said, there are many roads mankind may take and nobody knows what is due us in regards to our relationship with technology.



posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Nanotechnology will simply be amazing. It will change the world faster and in more ways than the internet has.

Think about building things from a molecular level. Right now we are very good at building things on a macroscopic level. Cars, buildings, roads and TV's. Imagine being able to build these things from a molecular level. You would be able to turn your old Buick into a Lexus.

Once we master building things from a molecular level like we build things on a macroscopic level, the sky's the limit.

Nanotechnology and 3D Printing will be great technologies. 3D printing can already be seen and nontechnology will also be huge in the field of medicine and artificial intelligence. They're already 3D printing bones and body parts.



posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Freedom is merely a generation and a half away. Can you feel it? The spirit of man rejoices at the prospect of the Neo-Renaissance. Soon, we will be truly free from the slavery that we have been born to endure. Soon, we will be given the tools to rise against the demons in our hearts, and release the angels of our souls. A time is coming when the spirit of man will find refuge from the darkness to drink freely of the light. A time of true freedom is coming. The future shall be truly limitless.

We just have to make it there. We just have to make it there.



posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla
 


Do you know grey aliens in the UFO sections ?
This is where they are now. Its really a sad state for a species. Throwing human value for advancement.

When nanotech marry biotech, we can expect dilemma of the grey aliens, by that time, we DO need divine intervention or extraterrestrial one.



posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique
 

Star and Flag, TechUnique, good post, relevant subject matter.

But what if it goes further than that still? Maybe some creation stories could have been in part inspired by highly advanced extra terrestrials. Extra terrestrials with matter shaping, rearranging and manufacturing technology at a level which we won't accomplish for hundreds if not thousands of years..

I think you are spot on with that one. What people fail to realize is we are becoming them, we are gaining knowledge only they had.

BUT. I have far from lost hope. Even currently we have the technology and resources to build somewhat of a utopia. We just have to sort out humanities Achilles heel.. Greed.

Once we stop hating, killing and conspiring in the name of money we can use our human intellect for the good of all.. Free electricity, food, clean water and gold for everyone

Just as soon as we de-throne the economic tyrants that stand in the way that is..

Glad to hear you say that. You have an understanding. This technology, like most, is a double-edged sword. For someone like me it would be a dream come true, but in the wrong hands anything could happen. I believe there will always be people like that, Greed Mongers. We need to deal with them on a genetic level.



posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
ever time i think about nanotechnology it always reminds me of Stargate REPLICATORS





well in this TV sires Stargate the nanotechnology "replicators" is the most feared in the whole UNIVERSE. they are unstoppable and learn and adapt to anything.

really scary stuff id say.
edit on 7/31/2012 by o0pinMind0o because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/31/2012 by o0pinMind0o because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
who will be the Philip K. Dick of creating a universe based on questioning what is reality and what is human (or whatever else) in regards to this new nanotech world?
edit on 31-7-2012 by krossfyter because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by NullVoid
reply to post by Druscilla
 


Do you know grey aliens in the UFO sections ?
This is where they are now. Its really a sad state for a species. Throwing human value for advancement.

When nanotech marry biotech, we can expect dilemma of the grey aliens, by that time, we DO need divine intervention or extraterrestrial one.


You mean that we'll fall into a state of existence on the periphery of the collective unconsciousness as a memetic avatar for what people think they think aliens look like, but never actually ever showing our selves for proper examination to dispute or validate any claims?

We'll become a mythology?

No, if molecular, or even nuclear nanotech reaches such a degree of fine control that we can reliably print out replacement bodies, we'd be more advanced than the science fiction replicator technology of Star Trek where we can design and create anything; food, clothing, furniture, art, tools, complex machines and parts, everything and anything, even Earl Grey - hot, just by pushing a few buttons, choosing out of a catalog/menu of presets, or asking for it.



posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique
I just read this short and very interesting article on the goals and potential capabilities of Nano technology and its implications for the future. Short and sweet, enjoy.

The next few paragraphs provide a brief introduction to the core concepts of nanotechnology, followed by links to further reading. Manufactured products are made from atoms. The properties of those products depend on how those atoms are arranged. If we rearrange the atoms in coal we can make diamond.
And it goes further than this..

If we rearrange the atoms in sand(and add a few other trace elements) we can make computer chips. If we rearrange the atoms in dirt, water and air we can make potatoes
But what if it goes further than that still? Maybe some creation stories could have been in part inspired by highly advanced extra terrestrials. Extra terrestrials with matter shaping, rearranging and manufacturing technology at a level which we won't accomplish for hundreds if not thousands of years..

"Nanotechnology" has become something of a buzzword and is applied are often largely unrelated to nanotechnology. While these broader usages encompass many valuable evolutionary improvements of existing technology, molecular nanotechnology will open up qualitatively new and exponentially expanding opportunities on a historically unprecedented scale. We will use the word "nanotechnology" to mean "molecular nanotechnology"
This is big, this is the future and we need to get on board. Lets just pray for ethics..

Nano tech will allow us to: Achieve the ultimate in precision: rearrange every atom in exactly the right place Make complex and molecularly intric structures as easily and inexpensively as simple materials. Reduce manufacturing costs to little more than the cost of the required resource materials and energy.
I don't want to plague the article, the rest, which is brilliant is here.

Whether we like it or not such tech as molecular nano, transhuman (bio-mechanics, augmentation, neuro-linking-chips), Artificial intelligence/consciousness and free energy technologies ARE the future. It was inevitable from the moment we started probing, creating and asking why.

Don't get me wrong.. the future of technology scares the hell out of me too. With humanities dismal track record and a proven thirst for blood the future of technology and humanity itself could get a lot more ugly.

BUT. I have far from lost hope. Even currently we have the technology and resources to build somewhat of a utopia. We just have to sort out humanities Achilles heel.. Greed.

Once we stop hating, killing and conspiring in the name of money we can use our human intellect for the good of all.. Free electricity, food, clean water and gold for everyone


Just as soon as we de-throne the economic tyrants that stand in the way that is..
edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)


You forgot one, once we stop killing in the name of religion!!!
2nd....



posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Nano has a future. I personally expect to see Nano Techs that do minor repairs to the human body with in my life time.

I think the true future of Nano Tech is in the realm of magic if we allow it. I don't believe we will all be allowed to fully benefit form it. But there are possibilities of Nano Tech that would be foolish to allow common civilians to use (Military only sorry).

Comparing this to a shuttle launch is apples to nukes. Nano Techs are being study and developed around the world. The immediate benefits are world shattering. Deep Space is a money pit and will stay that way for some time.







 
22
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join