It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WHAT IS BURNING MAN?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2003 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I realise that the Burning Man Festival held in the Nevada desert every year isn't for everyone. But I was around in the hippy days, been to Haight-Ashbury and many love-ins. I'm a free-thinker who values his freedom and self-expression. I've not been to Burning Man, but would like to experience the festival. It appears to carry some primordial, instinctive drive to celebrate life in the most non-conventionial way.

Trying to explain what Burning Man is to someone who has never been to the event is a bit like trying to explain what a particular color looks like to someone who is blind.

The Burning Man project has grown from a small group of people gathering spontaneously to a community of over 25,000 people. The impact of the Burning Man experience has been so profound that a culture has formed around it. This culture pushes the limits of Burning Man and has led to people banding together nation-wide, and putting on their own events, in attempt to rekindle that magic feeling that only the feeling of being part of this community can provide.

There are no rules about how one must behave or express one's self at this event (save the rules that serve to protect the health, safety, and experience of the community at large); rather, it is up to each participant to decide how they will contribute and what they will give to this community. The event takes place on an ancient lakebed, known as the playa. By the time the event is completed and the volunteers leave, sometimes nearly a month after the event has ended, there will be no trace of the city that was, for a short time, the most populous town in the entire county.

Art is an unavoidable part of this experience, and in fact, is such a part of the experience that Larry Harvey, founder of the Burning Man project, gives a theme to each year, to encourage a common bond to help tie each individual's contribution together in a meaningful way. Participants are encouraged to find a way to help make the theme come alive, whether it is through a large-scale art installation, a theme camp, gifts brought to be given to other individuals, costumes, or any other medium that one comes up with.

Official Burning Man Site

Burning Man Links

posted on Apr, 25 2003 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Lets see:

Clothing optional coed environment
Free love environment
Lots of good live music
Lots of alcohol
Weapons firing exercises
And in a very geologically interesting area

Sounds like the perfect vacation!

posted on Apr, 25 2003 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Yeah The Burning Man event sounds like alotta fun, kinda like the parking lot at a Grateful Dead show!

posted on Apr, 25 2003 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Fire is bright.

posted on Apr, 26 2003 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Clothing optional coed environment
Free love environment
Lots of good live music
Lots of alcohol
Weapons firing exercises
And in a very geologically interesting area

Hehe.....these are a few of my favorite things! *sung to music*

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I was there in 2007. Loved it.

It was like madmax at a rave...

Now I'm not a huge fan of rave/ dance music, but if you can tolerate it you should check it out.

Cool art all over, # getting blown up... Random musical performances... Participation in the coolest living art... There are pictures of this thing from space!

Who knows, this might just be the last year anyone gets to go...

If terrorist really hated us for our freedoms, they would target something like this... People being free.

new topics

top topics

join