It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One of the reasons why your computer gets slow after a while

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
"Drive-by downloads work by exploiting vulnerabilities in web browsers, plugins or other components that work within browsers"

The main reason is that malicious hackers want to control and access your system. This method can also be used by the governments to install some undetected trojan on your system and monitor all your Internet traffic.

Drive-by downloads

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
They want your pc tofluckup..Malware ect are loved an backed by pc manufacturers...Also the securitysystms like Norton..They just want us to buy new pc rapido...........

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Not running a Linux flavor, the only reason your computer gets slow..

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by SolarIce
Not running a Linux flavor, the only reason your computer gets slow..

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by ecossiepossie
They want your pc tofluckup..Malware ect are loved an backed by pc manufacturers...Also the securitysystms like Norton..They just want us to buy new pc rapido...........

That will get infected as well...

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   
I'm just gonna throw these two links into your thread and go take me a nap.

This first one is for a browser, it's based off of chrome's open source code.
Everything is the same, only Googles trackers,unique ID, and other privacy concerns have been removed.

Here

and this second link goes to a thread on a few tips and tricks (plus addons for chrome) to keep you safe while surfing

Here

Anyways imma go take a nap on the couch.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by SolarIce

Yeah windows sucks. I would be running linux if all my graphics software was supported in linux. Backtrack KDE runs really nice on my system. I love the way you can customize linux too.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Yeah windows sucks. I would be running linux if all my graphics software was supported in linux.

That's like saying 'cars are great but I hate gasoline.'.

The world runs on WIndows. Linux is reactive based.
What ever direction Windows goes , Linux follows. Although much later.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by samkent
reply to post by TKDRL

The world runs on WIndows. Linux is reactive based.
What ever direction Windows goes , Linux follows. Although much later.

Get your facts straight. Linux is a *NIX flavor. It certainly does not follow Windoze.

"Unix (officially trademarked as UNIX, sometimes also written as Unix) is a multitasking, multi-user computer operating system originally developed in 1969 by a group of AT&T employees..."

Source

"On November 10, 1983, at the Plaza Hotel in New York City, Microsoft Corporation formally announced Microsoft Windows, a next-generation operating system that would provide a graphical user interface (GUI) and a multitasking environment for IBM computers."

Source

This is also interesting: Windows borrows from Linux

Even though Linux was created later than Windows, it never wanted to clone it or borrow anything.

"His interest in computers began with a Commodore VIC-20.[13] After the VIC-20 he purchased a Sinclair QL, which he modified extensively, especially its operating system. He programmed an assembly language and a text editor for the QL, as well as a few games.[14] He is known to have written a Pac-Man clone named Cool Man. On January 5, 1991[15] he purchased an Intel 80386-based IBM PC[16] before receiving his MINIX copy, which in turn enabled him to begin work on Linux."

Source
edit on 31-7-2012 by Stiglitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
ubuntu is a great linux flavour you can also run it inside windows so you still get to use I tunes and a like

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Linux doesn't follow windows. There is a good reason why most military and governmental est. use linux based servers. Security and long term performance.

The only reason linux can be said to be behind windows is external development for drivers. Hardware developers design drivers for windows. If they developed in the same way for linux it would run faster and more reliable for linux than windows.

I love running a system where if I want to do something using a new piece of software I just have a quick search, download and use. Not pay a thing.

Go Ubuntu.

PS for any that want to try it go here

www.ubuntu.com...

This will show you how to create a bootable usb drive on windows which you can use to install ubuntu within or alongside windows. You can also try a live session that allows you to try out without installing anything.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Anyone that is worried about this kind of stuff or is having problems with their computer search for "malwarebytes" download the free trial and it will scan your computer and delete all of your trojans/viruses/etc. My parents kept getting that virus that acts like it's actually a virus scanner (when in reality it's the virus) and it locks up your computer and tries to get you to buy the program so it can cure your p.c. Malwarebytes knocked it out within minutes.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Which graphics hardware do you have in the machine? Nvidia? Nvidia recently announced they would be working with Linux from now on.
I have an Nvidia chipset, South Bridge, and graphics. and run Fedora. The Fedora Forum has a nice tutorial on how to install Nvidia drivers.
forums.fedoraforum.org...

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

No idea, nothing fancy, just one of those onboard piece of crap they sell on dells. It cinema 4d, zbraush and photoshop that tie me to windows.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

You can run those in a virtual machine that is shielded from the Internet

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
You can also use ComboFix. It is free and will get rid of malware and scareware.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hawkmoon1972
You can also use ComboFix. It is free and will get rid of malware and scareware.

ComboFix comments
edit on 31-7-2012 by Stiglitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Takes less than a year to slow down to a crawl. I've made it a rule to completely format every 6 months. Takes about a day to get everything squared away again but it speeds right up, runs like new and dumps any trojans, malware, etc that have managed to stay hidden.

Anybody know a way to run OrCad (Capture/Layout) on Ubuntu? It's the only reason I haven't switched over.
edit on 31-7-2012 by dainoyfb because: I added a sentence.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by autowrench

No idea, nothing fancy, just one of those onboard piece of crap they sell on dells. It cinema 4d, zbraush and photoshop that tie me to windows.

I hear ya on the Dells. When installing Windows, the OS has to be Dell specific. Even Linux can be iffy sometimes on a Dell machine. I do not care for factory computers, not when one can be built that is far superior to anything a factory can make. Mine is a custom black, clear sided case with Asus MB, Nvidia chipset and South Bridge, 250 Gb Western Digital SATA HDD, 3 GB RAM, DVD-RW and CD-RW.
Built for less than $600.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join