It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Closely Do You Stick To Your Beliefs?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Basically, what I am asking is this. Most of us, if not all of us, have a belief that we subscribe to. Do you always make sure to stick to that belief? In other words, do you ensure everything you say is consistent with what you believe?

More and more as time goes on, I see no point in constantly sticking to my 'beliefs' in everything I say. Ultimately I subscribe to non-duality, where everything comes from an unspeakable center outwards in a way that creates the apperance of duality, with that appearance being ultimately false. The non-dual viewpoint implies no absolute 'wrongness' nor 'correctness' in any particular conceptual viewpoint that is linguistically stated.

I, therefore, have begun to feel, more and more over time, free to play with beliefs. I don't see why I can't go along with a viewpoint for a while, claim it as my own and see how people react, and see what it is like to believe that, and how I would defend it. It seems we all tend to attach strongly to our pre-defined beliefs, and carefully make sure everything we say is consistent with that. But...why? Does it ultimately matter what we claim we believe at a particular moment in time? Are we not goint to evolve and change over time, anyways? Why can't we experiment with different belief systems? It seems this would be the best way to truly absorb and take in what the broad range of knowledge and viewpoints have to offer.

For instance, my viewpoint of non-duality. For a while, most things I said were always explaining how the apparent dualistic disagreements were unnecessary. I was always explaining how dualities could be unified. Over time, that got somewhat boring. If all is saying the same thing, ultimately, why do I need to make that clear with everything I say? Why can't I, myself, experiment with apparently dualistic viewpoints, knowing that ultimately I do not subscribe to any particular end of any duality?
edit on 31-7-2012 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
I agree with what you said, that beliefs change over time. IF that is indeed what you were trying to convey

How can beliefs NOT change over a course of say, 25 years? It's almost inevitable as we develop and mature that we "tune" our beliefs to our surrounding.

And yes, everyone is a little hypocritical at times, especially the ones that claim NOT to be

In order to curb the "hipocrisy" my beliefs are rather simple.

Do unto others as you would have them do to you
TRY not to lie. (this one seems simpler, but we tell little "white lies" all the time!)
Don't steal etc

Interesting thread, Peace

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by TheJourney

I guess there's two sides to your beliefs. There are your core beliefs which really define who you are as a person. I think really if you sell those out, then you are betraying yourself for the sake of popular opinion.

The second is your penchant to an open mind and to learn new things. People who are dogmatic and stick to a set of rules and never consider other possibilities are literally as close minded as those who will not see a truth even if it is laid out before them. But attitudes and ideals have to change as we grow, otherwise we'd still be stuck as a race in prehistoric times. The person who opens themselves to all possibilities is the one who will end up the pioneer, but the person who can stay true to themselves and not be swayed by peer pressure is the one who is the real person at the end.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Some beliefs are set in stone, other are there to be changed/grown over time and understanding.

Some of my beliefs that are set in stone, incude:

No toleration or theives and liers.

No toleration of kiddie abusers.

No toleration of the financial elite.

You must (nearly) always respect your elders, the exception being when what they tell you or do can be detremental.

I will no follow orders that without good cause and sense.

I shall not be lead blindly.

I firmly believe there are creatures/beings/craft visiting the earth. As I witnessed it with my own eyes, and yet I know skeptics shalt not believe until they've seen it them self.

Beliefs I hold that are open to change include many philosophical and metaphysical aspects of the world and creation.

It would be an out right lie for me to state I already understand those things, and so I continue down the winding path on exsperience and education.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Life's challenges, and just growing older, gets you thinking about your "beliefs." You ask yourself: "Why do I think this? Where did it come from?" After further introspection, the fog begins to dissipate, and a sometimes a shocking and painful reality presents itself.

Aristotle said: "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." But don't spend much time chasing your tail. I know... I've been an expert at the latter.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
My beliefs are pretty fluid myself. I tend to play it by ear. Some things haven't changed much, like not wanting to hurt other living things.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Great topic, one that's dear to my heart.

I think if one realizes all beliefs are merely interpretations, and not truth, it becomes easier to be more spiritually creative. It should be about constant upkeep and cleanliness. We shouldn't immediately trap ourselves within the foundations of our belief systems, but they should crumble under our own will. And if they fall, they will be rebuilt. We must give ourselves room for experimentation, creativity, and the power to be gods here.

I also don't understand why people immediately latch on to one of these interpretations as if he created it himself. It seems a great injustice to allow the interpretations of another the free reign over our thoughts and beliefs. Certainly, when it comes to perspective or interpretation or opinion, beliefs should be based on our own vantage point in the world and our own experiences, not the experiences and opinions of someone else. Much confidence and creativity are needed here.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Yes. This is because there are only a few things which I deeply, truly believe down in my soul.

These are:
1) I will do anything to protect children,
2) I won't murder unless it is to save children,
3) I must commune with nature to be whole,
4) There is a spirit world we cannot see with our eyes, but which all of us can see if we learn to use all of our senses, including intuition.

Doctrine, rules, laws, sacred texts, politics etc - these were all created by humans. They may or may not be "right". Who decides what's "right"? Humans.

I like to learn, so I learn about what other people believe. I don't sit around arguing, hurting people, trying to force others to take on my beliefs. In my mind, we all believe what we feel safe believing.

There are many people whose identities are wrapped up in their religious or political beliefs, and there is nothing on the face of the planet that could sway them because they become self-righteous and begin to feel malice toward anyone who does not share their beliefs. This is actually fear. People become so entwined with doctrine that they do not know how to separate themselves from it, and become upset when that fragile "truth" is threatened.

Ideas are fluid, and whether or not we accept ideas at any given time is also fluid. As we gain knowledge, our view of the world changes. Our understanding of Truth changes. There's nothing wrong with this.

Realistically, people need to just Let Go of their beliefs and learn how to accept the world as it is - perfect and imperfect, with many truths.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
Some of my beliefs that are set in stone, incude:

No toleration or theives and liers.

No toleration of kiddie abusers.

No toleration of the financial elite.

You must (nearly) always respect your elders, the exception being when what they tell you or do can be detremental.

I will no follow orders that without good cause and sense.

I shall not be lead blindly.

A star for your response, very good in my view. I feel the same way on these issues, some things just cannot be tolerated in a civilized society, and some things a person just should not do, in any case.

I firmly believe there are creatures/beings/craft visiting the earth. As I witnessed it with my own eyes, and yet I know skeptics shalt not believe until they've seen it them self.

I too believe this, having seen and touched them and their craft, and heard their voices in my head. One in particular has been around me for years now. We never were alone, you know.

Beliefs I hold that are open to change include many philosophical and metaphysical aspects of the world and creation.

It would be an out right lie for me to state I already understand those things, and so I continue down the winding path on exsperience and education.

My Ideas are always open to new ideas and new thoughts, and new information. Old ideas can easily be discarded if no longer needed, or edited if something new is discovered that warrants it. So I guess my "beliefs" are not set in stone, but my morals are.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I try to stick to my beliefs without fail. I also acknowledge that every belief, no matter how well founded is tentative. New evidence can always change a position of mine.

top topics

join