It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What stars/planets?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
This isn't conspiracy related at all. This is just a general question of curiosity, as I'm not a stargazer. I just started a job that forces me to leave for work at 3:45 AM central time. I live far out in the country, and when I go outside to get ready to leave, I have been simply amazed at the night sky lately. The drought across the country means that clouds are scarce (at least around here), so the stars are just everywhere at that hour. Well, two particular stars stand out from the rest. Directly to the north, these two beauties shine brighter than all of the others combined. They may be smaller in the sky, but their luminescence rivals the moon's. I'm not an astronomy buff and I don't really know how to go about finding out, so I thought I'd ask here. What are these two stars? One is perhaps Venus I think. Can anyone verify?

I drew a crude picture of what they look like. This is at approximately 4:00AM central time, directly to the north, dead in the center of the United States

Thanks!

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
There's no way to tell without knowing your location and exactly where they were, but they could well be planets. I have an awesome app on my Android that allows me to tell what's what, I think it's called sky map. You should check that out if you have a smartphone.
edit on 31-7-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I don't wanna give away my exact coordinates on the internet for obvious reasons, but it's in the area of Jefferson City, MO.

I don't have a smart phone ):

And these two guys are directly north at 4:00AM. They're the only 2 that shine so bright that they rival the moon.
edit on 7/31/2012 by OrphenFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Oh ok, well here's the link for people that are interested: www.google.com...

It's great for stargazers and checking out planets.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

Thanks! I'll keep that bookmarked in case I get a smart phone.

So I'm thinking it's probably Venus and Jupiter. Not sure which is which, though...

And since it's a drawing, it's not in any way accurate to their coordinates.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Yes venus and jupiter are putting on quite a show. But the real highlight about a week or so ago was the moon up there with them.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Try this

www.stellarium.org...

Download their free program then enter your coordinates for a real time view of the sky. I've used it many times over the years to help identify objects in the night sky.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by OrphenFire

I'm in Melbourne Australia and leave for work at 5.30 am, directly above and North East of my location 2 stars are shining far brighter than anything else in the sky.
Its interesting you've posted this as I have noticed and wondered about a similar thing albeit a different location.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Probably Venus and Jupiter. Aldebaran should also be visable alongside them from the 1st august.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Here is a screenshot from Stellarium showing Jupiter and Venus:

As the other poster has pointed out, Aldebaran is located to the right of the two planets.

ETA: In central America, at the time you described, Stellarium showed that the planets were due East (if I managed to work the program correctly).
edit on 31-7-2012 by adrift because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Jupiter above and Venus below, quite spectacular in the morning. In the East for me. in about 2 weeks they should be near the moon.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   
It should be noted that Jupiter tends to look a bit orange in color, while Venus is silvery-white. At its peak brightness, Venus can almost look like a distant spotlight or auto headlights shining right at you, the brightness can be quite astonishing. Even airline pilots have been known to mistake it for the bright headlights of an oncoming plane.
edit on 7/31/2012 by LifeInDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Venus and Jupiter

They've been very bright for the last couple of months, it's a real nice show they are putting on. They are the brightest at 5am

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 04:20 AM
link   

I just used google sky maps on my droid, venus is the bright one, jupiter is the other alderbaran is just down and right of jupiter. Hope this helps.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Thanks everyone!

In reply to the spotlight comment, I actually had a split second where I thought, "Is that really in space? Geez it looks like a spotlight!" But I knew there was no way a spotlight was positioned up in the trees out here in the middle of nowhere.

top topics

join