It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Securing a room you are sleeping in.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Like someone else said if someone wants to get in and your room is not fitted with door and window cages/bars ect then you really have two choices fight or run.....if you fight then were in to a new area of thinking but if you want to exit the room or whole house then you need a good escape route...

There are some houses ive seen with secret little doors in children's bedrooms leading to "safe rooms that "home invaders" can't get into ....

E

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Enjoyed reading your thread, and will definitely get one for future use!

Someone commented that they would just get a room away from the threat... and a gun/weapon wouldn't change the odds. I beg to differ. Here's why...

How do you know who is a threat? You would always have to know when you are a target. I am staying in a very nice hotel in a nice area of this city, and my room is not in some far off corner. If someone was targeting me because I am traveling with my young daughter (and without the hubs), they obviously did not care where I was staying, nor the location of the room. The only thing that stopped our intruder was the additional swing-bar lock that does not allow the door to be fully opened - because I took an extra second to set it.

Regarding the comment about not having a weapon handy, I completely disagree. I kept my high-voltage shock-flashlight next to me as I slept. And no, you can't accidentally shock yourself because of the way you have to slide and depress 2 separate buttons. If someone entered, they would be VERY sorry... as well as decommissioned long enough for us to run, hide, get help... or... for me to get my .45 out and deal with them if they come to, and make yet another stupid decision. (I do not leave my .45 out, in case my daughter wakes before me)

A few additional things for security...

Cover the peep hole, in case they have one of those reverse lenses to see in the room. I saw this on a spy show once and never forgot it! ; ) Put a few noisy things in a bag and hang it from the door handle, so if it is turned, I would wake. Place a small table in front of the door at an angle, so if the door is opened, the table is pushed against the wall and the door cannot open wide. Keep cell phone on nightstand for obvious reasons. If you are traveling with a child, make sure they do not try to hop on or off the elevator without you... holding hands is always a good idea.

And that's my 2 cents...

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

The link is blocked from my computer, because they don't want us shopping at work, LOL, but here it is. I hope this is the right one, let me know if it doesn't work.

www.thinkgeek.com...

Okay, that is awesome. I am going to order myself one and see how it works out when I get some spare money. I can see many uses and changing it around as needed. Yeah, it would make for a perfect addition to what I already use for things it just can't do. The motion still covers in ways this can't. Thanks for the details. For anyone who can't click for any reason, here is what they look like:

Not visible, of course..but the control and ability to set it up just right would be priceless.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Those door jams should be a decent idea too. The ones that you prop under the handle. The amount of force required to break one of those would create a barrier to entry and the noise required to break open the door (even if lock was picked) could be enough to wake you.

They're probably around 20.

www.amazon.com...

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
one thing I think thats stupid,
is that doors open in ! so easy to kick in.
wound it not be beture in the door frame helpt keep the door from been kick't in?

so just stick a door wedge under it.
a thin V shape of wood.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddha
one thing I think thats stupid,
is that doors open in ! so easy to kick in.
wound it not be beture in the door frame helpt keep the door from been kick't in?

so just stick a door wedge under it.
a thin V shape of wood.

Desing a door, with a secure hinge, that opens outwards, and you might make a lot of money!! I agree with you, plus it would create more internal living space, since you won't need to leave space for the door. The problem is the exposed hinges. Fix that problem, patent, and market your secure door!!

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by buddha

Just for the humorous sake of argument here...I'm thinking of the downsides of a door opening outward.

I'm imaging the bad guy watching the door knob turn as your inside and then yanking from the outside. Talk about having a victim fall in his arms eh?

Sorry, I know your helpful in pointing out different ways of looking at it. I couldn't help the mental image.

...on the other hand, that goes both ways when I consider it. If I see a door to door peddler I don't like in the peep hole, I can always stumble while opening it and..wow..that would be painful to the nose wouldn't it?

Thanks, everyone who contributed here. Hopefully it's a thread others can find a solution or two from out of the different ideas offered. Anything to give people some security where it's needed these days.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Unless there is a power outage. Then your screwed.

Best to get a dog. They will alert you to anything needing alerting, plus they will give you love and companionship, and will willingly lay down their life in defense of you (giving you a few moments to get awake and grab a weapon).

My dog isn't even big. Maybe 25lbs. But she is alert, loud, and tenacious. That is all you need from a dog.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

Unless there is a power outage. Then your screwed.

Best to get a dog. They will alert you to anything needing alerting, plus they will give you love and companionship, and will willingly lay down their life in defense of you (giving you a few moments to get awake and grab a weapon).

My dog isn't even big. Maybe 25lbs. But she is alert, loud, and tenacious. That is all you need from a dog.

Not so good for a hotel room though, especially for an extended stay. Difficult to fly with, difficult to house in the room, and difficult to accommodate for when you are attending all day trainings and evening meetings for a week long trip.

GREAT for the home though!! I think everyone should have a dog. People without dogs just don't seem right to me. 25lbs is fine, but the lower end of what I consider a dog. Anything less than 20 pounds ceases to be a dog, and just becomes a nuisance.

I think I'm getting a pair of geese next summer. I hear they are even better than dogs!!

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Oh man, geese are monsters. We have some at our local lake that are just mean. I have had to kick them across the beach more than once to protect my kids. Big, old, honking geese. LOL....very comical animals if you can tolerate the mean.

RE: hotel....i stay quite a few nights annually (im a priority club platinum member this year). I usually just latch the latch, lock all the locks, click off the safety on my .40, and keep it in the open bedside drawer. Its a risk you just learn to manage....and stay at decent hotels.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

.and stay at decent hotels.

Ya, that is the biggest thing!

I used to stay in some pretty shady ones when I was doing construction work, and I did the same as you, I clicked off the safety, latched all the latches, and slept lightly.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join