It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

City Shuts Down Teen's Hot Dog Stand

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I think this is sad the poor kid is trying to do something good..
In Holland, Mich., a 13-year-old entrepreneur thought he would be able to sell hot dogs and financially help his disabled parents with the purchase of a food cart. Unfortunately, city zoning officials have shut down his business, based on an ordinance that prohibits competition to brick-and-mortar restaurants from mobile food vendors.peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Why can't he just move his hot dog stand to another part of the city where it's not in front of a business? Like an area where there is traffic but an empty patch lot. I don't see how that can be breaking any zoning laws. My neighbors use to do it all the time, like sell their watermelons. He could still do his hot dog stand if he wanted to, just has to move it to a different location.
edit on 31-7-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Sounds like thats what there going to do move him..But still the kid worked hard to buy all the stuff to run this and his parents checked on the laws but didn't inform them about this loop hole sad..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Look, a rule is a rule. Unfortunate - but it's still a rule. You can't bend rules because of one kids circumstance.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I love to see stories about kids being entrepreneurial, and so sweet he is trying to help his family. City officials need to reexamine that law, sounds like inhibiting free enterprise to me. I hope he succeeds if they can move him and that works.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

Setting up your business in front of another is inhibiting free enterprise.

Look, it is sad, but these rules are in place for a reason. If it was a vietname vet with both legs missing in a wheel chair, he has to move too.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

That's too bad, but the kid seems to be ready for a fight, and will learn from this.

I would hope that one of the 12 restaurants would take up the fight to save his stand.. charge him a small one time fee to be associated with the restaurant, and perhaps have the vendor post a few flyers adverting the host restaurant on his cart..

That could be a win win ...

Best of luck to the young businessman

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by pacifier2012

pacifier2012
I understand the City officials have rules but anyone with a heart is going to say this isn't right i feel for the kid he saved all his money to help his family out..But on the bright side they are going to move him to another location..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

Iamschist
I'm with you on this i love seeing kids getting out and doing something to help there family's or the community..I come from a huge family and all see is the kids playing video games and becoming couch potatoes..I hope this works out for him also he seems like a go getter
peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

nixie_nox
I understand there is rules i just hope the kid gets a good location were he can make a few bucks to help his family..I remember setting up lemonade stands downtown with my friends when i was a kid and the restaurants employees coming out on there breaks to buy my goods but i guess those days are long gone..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
It is in poor taste to block other businesses with your own, which is essentially what he's doing.

It's like those pop up ads during a show that advertises for another show.

I want to see the show, not the ad for another show during the show.

This is the same thing. I want my choice, not his.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

JacKatMtn
I hope it all works out for him also..I'm sure he will learn from all this and your idea of the restaurants helping him out is such a good idea I'm hopeing they have a heart for this kid and do something were everyone wins
peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

EvilSadamClone
I just hope it all works out for the kid at his new location and he makes allot of money to help out his family and yes i do understand rules..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

If you have a superior product, good customer service and an atmosphere conducive to eating, what have you to fear from a street vendor? In your business people can sit down and be in out of the weather. If you don't have the previous mentioned things, then anybody, limbs or no limbs should be able to outsell you, and should have the right to take you on.

new topics

top topics

join