It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas government releases guide on how to survive mass shootings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Texas government releases guide on how to survive mass shootings

www.news.com.au< br />

"SOMETIMES, bad people do bad things" - so begins what just may be the most chilling public service announcement ever made.
An instructional video for surviving a mass shooting has been made by government officials in Houston, Texas.
Entitled Run. Hide. Fight. Surviving An Active Shooter Event, the videos release follows days after the shocking cinema shootings that claimed 12 lives at the screening of The Dark Knight Rises in Aurora, Colorado.
The 6-minute scripted video was actually filmed and produced two weeks prior to the July 20 cinema shooting.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Here we go. An instruction video made by the public service to show how to survive a mass shooting?
Filmed 2 weeks prior to the colorado shooting?
I know that the world is a little crazy and things are messed up a little bit but WTF! I have never seen anyhting like this. Will it become mandatory for the general public to participate in anti mass shooting training? Timing anyone?

Somethings going on here

www.news.com.au< br /> (visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
there are so many things that could potentially, maybe, some far fetched, some seemingly spot on, but just too damn many for it to surely be all coincidental. someone or something is speaking ..........

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Nothing is going on... There have been, and are, shootings happening all over the world. In the instruction video they even list some of the death/wounded stats of shootings that prompted them to make the video.

Just because it was made and released 2 weeks before the Colorado Cinema shooting doesn't mean there is some conspiracy.
edit on 31-7-2012 by senselessness because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
One thing I've noticed from reading all of the stories of mass shootings over the years, never have been in one, is that the shooters are usually looking for moving and live targets.

I knew of a couple who survived a mass shooting in a restaurant. The husband said when the man came through the door and started blasting everyone away he grabbed his wife and told her to lay flat on the floor and remain motionless and silent. He said a woman next to him went down to the floor with them. When the woman thought the man was leaving their area she picked up her head and said "he's leaving," the man turned around and shot her dead.

The point of the story is, if I was in a mass shooting it seems the most obvious thing to do would be to lie down make as little noise as possible, remain silent, not breath if possible, chances seem pretty high you'll probably be ignored. It would make less sense to run to an exit if the man was near you, you'd probably be pretty high on his to hit target list. That's just my guess though. I'll watch this video, I wonder if it has some good insights.

It is indeed a sad testament to the society we live in, but I don't think it's a bad idea. People are stupid though. The smart ones can get out, the stupid ones will end up dead.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I was taught in school to "Duck N Cover"

I've taking this as more of a life lesson that can be applied to many situations.

Mass shootings being no expectation.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   

I knew of a couple who survived a mass shooting in a restaurant. The husband said when the man came through the door and started blasting everyone away he grabbed his wife and told her to lay flat on the floor and remain motionless and silent. He said a woman next to him went down to the floor with them. When the woman thought the man was leaving their area she picked up her head and said "he's leaving," the man turned around and shot her dead.
reply to post by SubAce

Maybe so. But not in all cases. In the Port Arthur massacre, the shooter shot everyone, wether they were sitting, crouching or lying on the floor.

Duck and cover , one would assume, should imporve your chances though.

Port Arthur Massacre

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Chargeit

Find cover, evaluate the situation, take appropriate action. Learned it in the boy scouts, like a lot of the useful things I learned as a kid.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by senselessness

Didn't the FBI publish a warning about possible theatre shootings back in late May?
That might have something to do with why they produced the video before the fact....

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

That's cool you can keep running around looking like a fun target. I'll stick to the ol'time proven method of "Duck N Cover".

If it will work for a nuclear blast it will work for anything.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   
How to survive mass shooting = Get the shooter before he gets you.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Chargeit

Curl up like a ball on the floor all you want, it may work. Stationary target on the middle of the floor is a lot easier to hit than a moving target though. Also finding cover means getting behind something, not running around like a beheaded chicken

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
This is why people need to get their CCL. Nobody talks about the other shooting in Aurora a while back. Someone opened up in a Church. An off duty policeman dropped the guy before he got more than one victim. One dead instead of who knows how many. It only worked out well becuae ther happend to be an off duty cop there. Regular people like you and me have been disarmed in Aurora.

new topics

top topics

join