It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would happen if there is a major climate change?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I was just having a very interesting conversation with my wife. Who by the way claims it is she who noticed something wrong with the position of the sun the other day. I still believe i saw it first.

Anyway maybe I will start a new thread about it. But we both came to the same conclusion. She said it out loud first but I was thinking about it. If the climate does change suddenly in a dramatic way how would people react? We both believe that many wars would begin. Those countries or regions that are most affected or changed would probably determine that war may be the only way to survive.

It might not be just other countries. But what if for example Texas had everything necessary but Louisiana and alabama were suffering a major drought. Wouldn't those living there want to move to Texas. How would those in Texas react. What if it were bigger. Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, too and everyone tried to go to Texas. Would those already in Texas like this? Would they try to close their borders? Something could happen to make several states uninhabitable.... Right now we move freely from state to state. We kind of take it for granted. Could our nation survive something like this? Could mankind survive this?

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
We will either adapt quickly, as a species, or we will perish as one. Not sure I think we are capable of the cooperation that would be needed to be honest. I think the common response would be mass panic, chaos, and extinction.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Mankind would turn on each other faster than 2 feral hamsters IMO.

People don't know how to "Keep Calm" about anything, and so many are unprepared to go without power for even a day. There would be riots and the usual "me, me, me" attitude from the outset I believe. I can almost see it vividly as I type this. We will be the end of ourselves if any situation like this arises.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

So true. Plus no one really trusts the government(s) anymore... that will not help things at all...

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
People tend to stay where they are. It just makes sense.

My husband and I were thinking what we would do if there was any type of disaster. For the short term we would stay in the city. We have access to water (Lake Ontario), we have a small stash of food, wood burning fireplace and the best neighbours in the world.

If everyone headed north or to the mountains, most of them would be unprepared for a life they have never led or perish during the journey. We don't kid ourselves to be outdoorsmen, we would have to prepare ourselves to live that life, so a few months into a disaster is when we would make our move.

I don't believe generally people would turn on each other. Perhaps initially there may be some souless creatures, but I have never met anybody who didn't have more good in them than bad. It will all work itself out.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by minettejo

Yeah, same here. Why would anyone want to go get crowded into a housing complex or stuffed into a school building with three hundred other people. My wife will probably smile and say she's going to hawaii for a trip but I'll stay here and sink with the ship. I'll fish or hunt every day she is gone.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
people would turn on each other for the last scraps of food, if drastic climate change occurred there would be no food for a number of months, current crops would die and it is very hard for a farmer growing one crop to quickly switch to another, stock piles of canned goods would fly off the shelf and surplus grain would be under tight security before the stealing begins.
but don't worry too much about the above happening through climate change, it will just happen through design.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
If something happened that rendered regions of the US uninhabitable yet other regions remained we would see the FEMA camps spring up in the uninhabitable areas and keep the people generally corralled. That is what they are for after all. Do not be disillusioned the States surrendered any real power to the Federal government long ago and martial law would be declared if it got bad enough. Who lives and dies would be decided by the government that is or was in Washington.

If it was a general major global climate change very few parts of the world would be very habitable for awhile until nature was able to regain some sort of balance. Regardless humans are a crafty bunch and as a species would survive and adapt. It is what we do. After the initial changes we would find a way to produce food and energy. Many wouldn't survive but many would.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I'm sure enjoying this global warming so far. It could warm a little more and increase the growing season a month more so I could grow watermellons in the garden. What sucks for some makes paradise for others.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
The concept of worrying about things like this a little is not a bad thing. We can't let it get to us but voicing our concern may have a great influence on the outcome of the future of humanity. I am not talking about going crazy and start hugging trees or chaining oneself to a bulldozer. I am talking about just saying enough is enough and telling others to examine what they perceive their needs are. Most people think they need or deserve things they want to have and try to justify their wants. In essence we need a lot less than we want. We have it good in this country but we still need to respect the other species of the world including the plant and insects.

Our world is not a tough old horse, it is a delicate ecosystem. It has great regenerative powers but can be destroyed. If we overfish than we lose our fish. People think the oceans are huge and full of fish but they are deceiving themselves. Less than twenty percent of the ocean can adequately support fish and we are taxing those areas badly. These areas are near the shores and the chemical toxins we create are destroying this ecosystem. We are poisoning the birds by poisoning the bugs. We are creating miticides which are creating stronger microbes by upsetting the balances. We are destroying ourselves. Hopefully 2012 will be the year of awakening so we can see these broad-form policies that are messing up the world. We complain when there is a oil disaster but this is because we can physically see it. We see the litter on side the road and make a big issue of that. It's what's not visible that is going to kick our butts. It's the miticides in our soaps and on our foods and the medicines we take that enter the sewer system that are a problem. It's the lack of an adequate foodchain for the fish we harvest that's a problem. It's abuse of the ecosystem that is a problem, not moderate use of the ecosystem. We are not supposed to be Apollyon the destroyer, we are supposed to be caretakers. Whatever our origin we are screwing things up royally.

Where did people come up with the idea we deserve to have the right to trash this planet? I don't see that in any old texts. I see that in histories of conquerers destroying everything, they are supposed to be the bad guys not good guys. If we take care of this planet it will provide for us for a long time. Maybe doomsday predictions are made so people can justify their neglect of this planet. Maybe it's just a big rumor spread and blown out of proportion by the media so people won't worry about businesses destroying the environment. A big coverup that noone can perceive..

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by crazyguy2012
Could mankind survive this?

EA*RTH aboveground and belowground, Inhabitants HAVE space craft. Not sure of the capacity of THEM but there are crafts. MAYBE need CRAFTS to LIFT off (FLESH BOUND). MAYBE COSMIC FAMILY WILL SUPPORT. If mankind HAS SOULS/SPIRITS/INTERNAL ENERGIES then if these souls are displaced /RESCUED with memories left in tact and STILL AWARE, DID THE HUMAN SURVIVE??????????????

edit on 7/31/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyguy2012

Climate ADJUSTMENT SOL RELATED, SOL SHUTS DOWN ALL* WAR RELATED WEAPONS as well.
FAMILY family deploy a mist/gel that binds to surfaces of metal that have gun powder Artillery powder ONLY present. NO GUNS/missles WORK ANYMORE GEL CAUSES RUST FAST RUST OF FIREARMS & Artillery... PRECISION POWER so no weapons degrade and explode degrade and become neutral to EA*RTH as the minerals are returned back to EA*RTH. MAYBE A PYRAMID NEEDED FOR CLEANING UP RADIOACTIVE
WASTE RELATED AND 1 FOR POLLUTION and so on

MUST SEEK PEACE! must

NAMASTE*******

edit on 7/31/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Also taking into the equation what if more things like this start to happen? 620 million without power??? WOW...

www.huffingtonpost.com...

top topics

join