It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The problem with Religious debates ONLINE

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
BUT i will give this thread 3 strikes! so lets continue being respectful to other peopels beliefs and mabye discuss a few of them

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by sparksgordon
reply to post by Mickierocksman

i used to have the exact same beliefs as you matey! if that is true though id have to even go down the road as to say that God created all life not just on out planet! and if science proves evolution to be true i will applaud science and i will also applaud God

If you believe that a god also created evolution and life on all other planets, then would you still believe in a ‘god’ even if (for example) one of those alien species were responsible for destroying all life on another inhabited ‘peaceful’ planet?

No, personally, I do not see that a ‘god’ would be responsible for creating anything in an infinite universe.

Life can be created without the help of a ‘god’ of some kind & if ‘god’ was a real ‘loving’ entity as his followers would have you believe…… he / she or it would not allow the death and suffering that is uncontrolled in this world let alone another.

Mickierocksman

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   

you seem to be ignoring my other posts to you mate. unless you want to continue being respectful to others beliefs im not going to indulge a conversation with you

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mickierocksman
It’s things like this thread I made today that promotes my loathing of all things religious, especially the christian faith that hides behind the cloak of do-gooders when everyone can plainly see that it is simply a cult “hell bent” on pushing an agenda that only assists the church and not the people it’s supposed to be caring or looking out for.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I do wish that all religions would just disappear overnight, for with religion we have no hope of becoming a better species of animal.

I wish we could work towards getting off this rock rather than fighting and killing each other.

Religion is not the key to a better life, rather the opposite.

Mickierocksman

LOL and there we have it ladies and gentlemen the end to this experiment. it didn't even last a page. you just insulted the beliefs of millions of people with no attack against yours. *shakes head*

Not ingoring you, just at work......

Glad I could help you reach a conclusion, perhaps I can go for the 3 strikes?

Ok, one back for you…… take half a strike back?

Non-religious people can be as racist as religious people – that we have in common.

PS: What do you think of priests that are also paedophiles?

Are they following their gods word or are they just perverted and should be goaled forever?

Why does the catholic church cover up these crimes? Is that what their god wants? If not, why do they do it?

PPS: I do not care if I insult millions of people, I’m glad the internet has given me a portal so I can do just that – if you believe in a god, then you should also know that he gave me this portal and wants me to do this, otherwise god would smite me….

Mickierocksman

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   

you seem to be ignoring my other posts to you mate. unless you want to continue being respectful to others beliefs im not going to indulge a conversation with you

See post above..... now please, can you answer some of my questions?

Mickierocksman

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   

It’s things like this thread I made today that promotes my loathing of all things religious, especially the christian faith that hides behind the cloak of do-gooders when everyone can plainly see that it is simply a cult “hell bent” on pushing an agenda that only assists the church and not the people it’s supposed to be caring or looking out for.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I do wish that all religions would just disappear overnight, for with religion we have no hope of becoming a better species of animal.

I wish we could work towards getting off this rock rather than fighting and killing each other.

Religion is not the key to a better life, rather the opposite.

Mickierocksman

LOL and there we have it ladies and gentlemen the end to this experiment. it didn't even last a page. you just insulted the beliefs of millions of people with no attack against yours. *shakes head*

Not ingoring you, just at work......

Glad I could help you reach a conclusion, perhaps I can go for the 3 strikes?

Ok, one back for you…… take half a strike back?

Non-religious people can be as racist as religious people – that we have in common.

PS: What do you think of priests that are also paedophiles?

Are they following their gods word or are they just perverted and should be goaled forever?

Why does the catholic church cover up these crimes? Is that what their god wants? If not, why do they do it?

PPS: I do not care if I insult millions of people, I’m glad the internet has given me a portal so I can do just that – if you believe in a god, then you should also know that he gave me this portal and wants me to do this, otherwise god would smite me….

Mickierocksman

I dont mind answering your questions mate. however if you intend to make this thread an argumentative discriminative insulting thread im afraid you are wrong. if you want to debate like that please go on one of the COUNTLESS other threads on the matter not this one.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   

I dont mind answering your questions mate. however if you intend to make this thread an argumentative discriminative insulting thread im afraid you are wrong. if you want to debate like that please go on one of the COUNTLESS other threads on the matter not this one.

Is that strike 2 for you? You still did not answer the questions?

You also can't censor free speech, so please don't try.

I will try and remain civil in this social experiment of yours, although as Charles1952 pointed out…. Where are we going with this?

If it is to prove that people of differing faiths (or no faith) can’t discuss each other’s views without an argument, then that was proven thousands of years ago and millions of times since then – you’re dealing with human nature, we are animals that WILL bite when provoked – both religious and non-religious are guilty of this fact.

If you want to debate anything, perhaps we can debate that heated discussions that one could call 'an argument' would not eventuate if religion did not exist at all.

Mickierocksman

edit on 31/7/2012 by Mickierocksman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   

so how would i be getting strikes? I've been nothing but respectful to you. however you seem to not want to even consider anyones beliefs without being hateful. so i will no longer be acknowledging you in this thread good day sir!

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   

If you believe that a god also created evolution and life on all other planets, then would you still believe in a ‘god’ even if (for example) one of those alien species were responsible for destroying all life on another inhabited ‘peaceful’ planet?

Ah, so like what happens when an elephant steps on an ant hill. Just with a hyperbolic, sci-fi tinge.

Hmm, never mind that noun there.

If it is to prove that people of differing faiths (or no faith) can’t discuss each other’s views without an argument, then that was proven thousands of years ago and millions of times since then – you’re dealing with human nature, we are animals that WILL bite when provoked – both religious and non-religious are guilty of this fact.

So with "us" all being human nature, or possessing human nature and with atheists professing no god.....how is it they focus on the false dichotomy of religious and nonreligious, a distinction they say doesn't even exist, meanwhile completely bypassing the human nature element?

And yet, they confess the human nature element.
edit on 7/31/2012 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by sparksgordon

As far as religion is concerned as a whole "beliefs" don't cut it for me. You better damn well turn your beliefs into facts, before you persecute, condemn, burn at the stake, behead etc etc etc based on belief. My kids believe in Santa with all their heart. Guess what? Doesn't make him any more real.

I'm an atheist. Facebook has really opened my eyes to how unrealistic and illogical the whole prayer thing is. Everyday I see people, my friends, post about how they need prayers for the most trivial things. "My car broke down, please pray" and they get 20 comments of people sending prayers. The next day "Glory to god my car is fixed and only cost me $800 instead of $1000. God is good". Then I go to a local news site and see how the night before some child was kidnapped, sexually assaulted then strangled to death. Hey god lets skip the whole car fixing thing next time and help a kid out!!!!

The religious always have some loophole, excuse for these things. How is that? Free will? Don't think so! Divine plan? Everything happens for a reason? Mysterious ways?

How do you know god exists? Most say because I have seen gods effect on my life. Do you find yourself so self important that you "believe" a god helped YOU get a good job, have healthy kids and a new Corvette while there are children right now this very second starving in this world.

If your day starts out bad and at 3pm it all of a sudden gets better then god stepped in and helped. Who or what is responsible for the sh!tty day you were having before?

If something good happens......"Glory to god and jesus." Something bad happens "Free will, divine plan loophole, excuse, excuse"

I have a personal relationship with REALITY.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   

edit on 7/31/2012 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I don't like debating. It seems like another way of arguing and causing strife. The world has enough strife. What I think the entire purpose of the internet is provide information. Period. The Truth is within the original Book of Instruction aka The Torah. It is virtually the Tree of Life. Once you internalize the Tree of Life, you can then enjoy the fruits of the internet aka the Tree of Knowledge. Otherwise, you pick and pick, eat that fruit, the other and you get more and more entangled not to mention further away from the Garden which is in fact the God Mind.

I do like to point out the Truth as set out in the Torah as I am able. Because so many people simply do not know much of what the Truth is. They think a mangod is their *lord* when the Creator said specifically in Exodus - Not to have other gods before Him (the Creator). Not an idol in the guise of a dead Jewish guy or a buddah or anything of that sort. It's all idolatry. Even an ego - worship of self as we see with the liberals is idolatry. And on. So - I put out the vitals to get people on the track of Life - and perhaps get them in the Gates before the Gates are permanently sealed - which will happen in about 1 cosmic second from now. I think a lot of people WANT to know - they just never knew - within the matrix - how to actually find those vital signs. Jews are here to provide those vital signs and be lights to the nations. It is rather unfortunate that they've been hounded for 2,000 years. But as we are seeing this has only been to keep the Truth from emerging. Doubly, it has served a purpose of correction and movement of Return for Judah. Without all of this turmoil - the Light of Redemption could not have shone so brightly. So in a way, we must thank you for the impetus.

Star Gate God
reply to post by sparksgordon

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
I find it so interesting how you cant open a conversation like this up without people jumping into attack mode. we all need to stop being we are better than you and more like "your belief is valid" you cant use the past of religion to stereotype all christians. if we did that we may as well stereotype all types of people

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
There can never really be any meaningful debate in this forum because one side is uninformed and has to lie/be intellectually dishonest whilst the other does not. How can intelligent discourse arise from these initial conditions?

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I believe Jesus , Mohammad , we're good prophets trying to preach there message . Maybe their initial intentions where good but man in his quest for power corrupted both faiths ! If you were to uncover our western civilization 2000 years from now , it would look like we idolized and prayed to athletes and rock stars !! I think it's a human trait when you have low self esteem to look up to something greater than ourselves. Perhaps we were visited by aliens in the past who had superior technology and helped " kick start " mankind and that's where the sensationalism came in ! Just my belief !

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Reply to post by sparksgordon

Its the go to thread when its slow on ATS. This thread was designed to fail from the get go.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by strafgod

worth a try mate lol

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Reply to post by sparksgordon

To anti-theists these threads translate to 'here it is, come an get it' Lol. Usually these threads make a few pages before the mud slinging begins, im not gonna place any bets on when that will happen but you know its inevitable.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   
As someone who was raised "Catholic" I believe that Jesus might have lived and that his message(s)/teachings in fact made a lot of sense and were actually pretty good. But that's as far as it goes.

I, HOWEVER, think that religion is GREATLY distorting all the elemental and important messages who once were given and that it, along with the Bible, is only an instrument used as a tool for controlling people. I also believe that the majority of people of all kinds of religions (not only Christians) are not even remotely LIVING accordingly what the real messages/core of their religion initially was - but rather practicing "rituals" and other silly things which have nothing to do with the actual "spirituality"/essence of the religion(s).

For example, we could simplify it and say Jesus actually taught that it would be constructive to be "nice to each other" instead of smashing our skulls in. A PROFOUND message, for sure.

But how many people are LIVING this essential message - not many. They are, instead, like robots, busy and occupying their lives according to (the rituals and THEORIES) of religion - as opposed to what would really be important, attending to the next human.

You can read the bible and know every bible verse by heart, attend church and have your daily praying schedule - this does NOT make you a better person. People are committing crimes and murder for centuries "in the name of religion..eg. Christinaity" - not realizing the incredible hypocrisy that, by doing so, they are acting ENTIRELY against what their religion/prophets etc. intended to teach them.

The problem i personally have is to see through this, also noticing a particular arrogance..because i am seeing lots of people claiming to be "religious"..which is entirely irrelevant. I dont care whether you know the bible in and out, i dont care whether you and your family attend church every sunday.

Don't knock on my door in a rather arrogant way, making me want to sell the belief that you are a better person because "you BELONG" to some institituionalized religion.

Jesus (or other similar figures from the past) dont think had any interest in what, in reality, is not relevant AT ALL. Their message was much more profound and deeper....but religion has basically forgotten what it all is REALLY about, instead making the irrelevant aspects of it more important that the actual essence of the belief.

Short: Someone can be more "true" to a belief and live much more accordingly to a faith, WITHOUT any part of the bible, priests, pope, churches etc. Maybe the new age "freak" living around the corner is actually the one "nearer to god" (if you will) - as opposed to the religious "practicing" couple who THINK they are "oh so religious" and "the better humans" because they go to church.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
You say you love it when people ask why they should believe in God, so..."Why should I believe in God?"

Let's take it from there. I am a Weak Atheist, I don't believe in a supreme being, I find Christianity to be extremely far-fetched and the Bible to be full of false accounts, but I do not have absolute proof that any particular religion or God is false.

I have talked with a lot of Christians, and one thing seems to be consistent to all of them, and that is lack of sufficient evidence for their beliefs. I am not in attack mode, I am honestly interested in the justifications for your beliefs. Another thing that seems to be consistent is that they will go to great lengths to rationalize their beliefs, rather than honestly accessing the evidence for whether an account is likely to be true or not, and a great case in point is the Noah's Ark story.
edit on 31-7-2012 by humphreysjim because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join