It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Mt. St. Helens Stirring Again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Magnitude 2.4 earthquakes, occuring every 2 minutes have been recorded at Mount St. Helen's since Saturday. Jeff Wynn, the U.S. Geological Survey's chief scientist for volcano hazards, claims that levels are equal to or higher than that of the steam and ash eruption on October 5th. Scientists expect the earthquake activity to "ebb and flow", with possible steam eruptions for weeks and months to come.

cnn.netscape.cnn.com
MOUNT ST. HELENS, Wash. (AP) - Earthquake activity has increased at Mount St. Helens, but scientists said Saturday there was no reason to raise the volcano's alert level. Scientists said earthquake activity had been low until Friday, indicating molten rock was moving upward with little resistance. By Saturday, however, quakes of magnitude 2.4 were occurring every one to two minutes, they said.

"It's at levels equal to or higher than the Oct. 5 steam and ash eruption,'' said Jeff Wynn, the U.S. Geological Survey's chief scientist for volcano hazards at Vancouver.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

A concern for experts is a bubble that has risen 330ft since September 30. The bubble leads scientists to believe their is magma less than a mile below the surface. The bubble is being called a "remarkable event."

The activity on Saturday is not guaranteeing a dangerous eruption. All evacuations and closures near and around the volcano are still in effect. Geologists still claim that it is unlikely that there will be an eruption as big as the one on May 18, 1980.

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 08:10 AM
link   
My SWAG is that the dome will continue to build and on or around the 14 th of Oct. it will erupt in a cataclysmic fashion. Followed by a 9-10 point earthquake under NW Washington State. Along with some slick astronomical occurrences as well as geomagnetic flocculation's in the extreme.
I really need to go get my Zoloft. And I will cease to RAMBLE like this. Take care and be careful,

TUT

new topics

join