It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Matthew 10:34-38 becomes a disturbing reality when you begin following Jesus

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

If you never would have replied to me then you wouldn't be in this situation right now. You are the one who started it remember?

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

A christian child would beg to differ. I as a child would beg to differ.
edit on 31-7-2012 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

Again.. Christians don't fear Hell. That's absurd. There is no fear of something they know the blood of Jesus redeems them from. The only folks scared of Hell are people on the broad way there.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

A child in a christian home is raised to fear hell. They are told from the moment they are born that they are sinners and that if they don't repent and accept Jesus into their hearts that they will be sent to hell. Of course they're going to choose salvation over burning for eternity, my family was the same way and I chose to believe. I don't blame them because that's how they were raised, but the fact still remains that they teach their children that hell is a real place, and their fear of that place drives them to seek salvation and they actually believe what they are told.

I know this from experience.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

That's generally how it goes with every family. It's more of a tradition than a religion.

Oh god, I see it now. First, spirituality gets confused for witchcraft, then religion gets confused for spirituality, then tradition gets confused for religion. We need to be more precise with our concepts and definitions...

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

I have no idea what kind of Christian home you say you were raised in, but Christians do not fear Hell. That's one of the aspects of redemption. Maybe your parents believed in salvation by works, but that's not Christianity. Again, there is no condemnation for anyone in Christ. (Romans 8:1)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   

reply to post by lonewolf19792000

No, when a sheep goes astray, the sheep dog goes after it. Its very rare that the sheep stray from the pack because they feel as though they have safety in numbers and they know that if they do stray that sheep dog is waiting for them.

The shepherd herds the sheep and keeps them in formation by presenting the sheep dog to them. Get it?

What i get is that you're contradicting Christ, that's what i get. No sheepdog came after me when i strayed away from Christ 14 years ago after living in hell for 17 years. In fact i went where no sheepdog could find me in the middle of B.F.E. Arkansas. Spent 14 years as an agnostic/atheist, on drugs and alcohol and sex addiction, using everything i could throw into that empty hole in my soul just trying to fill it up. Nothing could ever fill it up no matter what i threw into it. Being consumed by emotional pain, hatred and anger all those years i could find no peace and i got to the point i was ready to blow my brains out just to end the pain. Then i remembered the times as a kid i went to church, hearing about Jesus and the gift of redemption. I desired to have peace and i went searching for him. The first time i went through some church doors was at an old run down bowling alley and skating rink converted into a church which refurbished the bowling lane and skating rink so local children and adults can spend family time together free of charge. As I went through those doors it felt like coming home again and while i didn't get saved that day i started going to church again. A month later i gave up my life to Jesus and finally found the peace i was looking for. I found rest from a never ending war. Then i realized that he never left me, he had always been there, always calling my name to come to him but i would run away from his voice. So, don't think you can tell me anything about him, i know him more than you do, i lived in hell all my of life for 31 years and in the year and a half since i have been saved i have never felt more love, or joy or more peace, all my life I have been a homeless drifter, but I found my home, it's with him.

Luke 15:1-7

Then all the tax collectors and the sinners drew near to Him to hear Him. 2 And the Pharisees and scribes complained, saying, “This Man receives sinners and eats with them.” 3 So He spoke this parable to them, saying:

4 “What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he loses one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness, and go after the one which is lost until he finds it? 5 And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. 6 And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost!’ 7 I say to you that likewise there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine just persons who need no repentance.

edit on 31-7-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Good for you, I'm glad you found something that filled that hole, but I still believe your views are misguided.

The moment I came to the conclusion that I have now, I felt the greatest joy I have ever felt. It felt like a weight had been lifted off of my shoulders, and that weight was fear. I realized that in the back of my mind, I was always worried about if I thought any different than what I grew up being taught, that I would go to hell.

I realized that my ability to think rationally, to think for myself, was being suppressed by my subconscious fear of hell.

Me realizing that I am part of something bigger instead of not being a part of that thing yet fulfilled me more than anything religion ever taught me. Me growing up thinking that an invisible man was watching my every move scared me into not questioning the bible, ever. No matter what evidence someone presented, I rejected it.

My opinion on the bible has not changed one bit, as far as the message of it goes. My opinion on those who wrote it and those who teach about it has though. In fact, my understanding of the bible has grown ever since I started questioning it, and I have made those connections with the real world and that understanding has validated the bible in my opinion. No matter how corrupted I believe the message has become, I still know it has the truth ingrained in it, and that makes me feel as though the first 22 years of my life weren't wasted.

I am the universe experiencing itself and I am already in heaven (albeit in hell on Earth) and I will have everlasting life because I will be born again and again and again forever, and that is the most joyous feeling you can have.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by kingkra
what if bible is wrong.....and there is no god....and jesus was just a human......nothing else

TROLL

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ahnggk

I'd like to part with a verse 2 Timothy 4:4 (KJB)

And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables

If following Jesus is the Truth, then following Jesus and be IN THE "WORLD"

edit on 8/1/2012 by o0pinMind0o because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
everyone has their own path and the path is narrow

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
It's a reality to me. I am not from this world. Doesn't Jesus say not to love the world? I love the world but I think it has to be a tough love - because of the judgements inside the minds of individuals. A goal of mine would be to acknowledge the world, a person with judgements, a person without judgments.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by greyer
It's a reality to me. I am not from this world. Doesn't Jesus say not to love the world? I love the world but I think it has to be a tough love - because of the judgements inside the minds of individuals. A goal of mine would be to acknowledge the world, a person with judgements, a person without judgments.

I love the people, the beauty of nature. But when Christ said not to love the world I believe He meant the world's system, the Babylonian system. The wisdom of the world.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

I might offer that he meant attachment to the world... when he said do not love the world...

Matthew 10:37
He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

denying attachment to the physical is what he taught throughout the gospels...

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I can agree with that too.. attachment/reliance on the world and not Him. But again it's an idiom for the systems of man, not the world as in Earth itself. Example a farmer or fisherman et cetra who lives off the land.

edit on 1-8-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   

If you never would have replied to me then you wouldn't be in this situation right now. You are the one who started it remember?

Well, if it's my fault for starting it, then it's my responsibility for ending it.

Take care.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by o0pinMind0o

oOpinMindDo

Am quite old now but as a youngster I was raised with the 1560 Geneva Bible which I use today. Most people can't read it simply because they have not been taught the old way. I also use the 1611 pocket version KJV. Both are basically the same except the Geneva has marginal notes and the Apocrypha whereas the 1611 KJV (after 1885) does not.

I have found that the best way to tell the corrupted manuscript bibles was to turn to Col. 1:14 and it should include "Through His Blood" -- The other way to verify this is to turn to Acts 8:37 and if it is deleted then you know it is corrupt. After reading your blog I then checked the New International Version on line and sure enough both Acts 8:37 and Col. 1:14 were corrupted.

Out of 34 Bibles that I have personally checked there were 18 that were without a doubt corrupted. Here is the list that I have personally checked that are corrupt. - GW-RSVA-RSV-MSG-WEB-WNT-YLT-ALT-ASV-BBE-CEV-DARBY-EMTV-ESV-GNB-HNV-ISV-MR --

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Seede

I don't think you should have the MSG on that list, it's not a translation it's a paraphrase. But u have the right idea. Also to add the corrupt versions instead of saying "Joseph" with have "the boy's father." Joseph was not the father of Jesus, it attacks the virgin birth and by extension the deity of Christ. The corrupted versions also either totally delete the last 12 verses of Mark, or call their authenticity into question in the footnotes.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

You do the same.

No hard feelings.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

You do the same.

No hard feelings.

I never do bro. And I'm not "writing you off" as a member, I'm just done arguing this point in this thread. See you in the next one.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   

TextI don't demand you to fear hell, I'm telling you there is no need yo fear hell because it does not exist, except for what is going on on this planet right now. This is the closest thing to hell there is, you are already in heaven so there is no need yo believe in some guy that lived 2,000 years ago. Its a ridiculous concept.

Don't really understand your premise. You made a statement and not a question. You stated that you don't see the need to believe in hell because there is no hell? Then isn't that your belief the same as the one who believes in hell? Neither one of you can prove what you believe. You also belittle a guy that lived 2,000 years ago and insinuate that He never lived or if He did live He did not do the things that are said that He did. But you cannot prove that this so called guy did not live 2,000 years ago and did not do the things that is said that he has done.

You know the old formula of the Christian having to do all the proving is nothing but a scam. How about the shoe be put on the other foot as well. Josephus and many other authors describe this guy (As you call Him) so why not prove Josephus wrong? Or is that just your belief? Don't understand this one way street deal that you guys always use. The Christian uses the bible as their proof but you guys always reject the bible as proof. Then you prove that the bible is not proof. If you have the proof that the bible is garbage then prove that the bible is garbage and If you cannot prove the bible is garbage then at least honor another person's faith by not quarreling with them.

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join