It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Matthew 10:34-38 becomes a disturbing reality when you begin following Jesus

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Even more disturbing, that it happened in an old CHRISTIAN family who all believes in Jesus, been baptized and Born Again!!

Sadly, it is my family, my parents especially. We are all Christians for more than a decade now. We strive to obey the Laws, read the Bible, generous to the poor, do not curse, not have any vices, do not annoy our neighbors, typical Christian family...

But recently, God did something to make me come home to Him. It's a very long story. But there were many great revelations along the way. God gave me the wisdom to analyze the world economy and realized how it's unfair, corrupt, messed up, and to make the story short, the only way you are rich in this world is because of the exploitation of the poor down the line, directly or indirectly... If you live in USA for example, you are most likely rich by global standards. I'll probably make another thread for it.

So this where it all started:

We live in a third world country Philippines. My parents were born in a very poor family in a hand-to-mouth existence. They learned to survive by wits and to grab every opportunity as if it is between life and death! Unfortunately this mentality carried on when we finally got out of poverty and upon conversion to Christianity. What makes this worse is that the 'Prosperity Gospel' has gained its ground in Philippines, even if most Christians here deny it, it is here to stay!

I am well educated enough that my parents wanted me to pursue the 'American Dream' of middle-class living in a first-world country. I can do it if I wanted to.. ..But upon realizing the truth, why would I??

Even though we are still poor by Western standards. We have ALL our needs met. We have our own house, own a car, a small family business, 3 meals a day. I refused to go overseas and make more money because I'd rather do local missions to poor communities but this angered them!
They justified that God promised material blessings, and Christians should not be poor - again the curse of the Prosperity Gospel
But the truth is, God commands us to be content. To be happy and thankful if our basic needs are met.

My parents would be happier if I earned a lot more because I could give more to missions, gain more respect from our community and relatives but this is not what Jesus commanded (Parable of the Poor Widow and vs pride of life, things of the world, etc). In fact, Jesus doesn't care the amount of what we give. In fact Jesus gave a lot warnings against pursuing wealth (trying to earn more, etc)

Have I obeyed my parents, we would breaking the #1 Law of God which to Love God with everything, not to love anything more than Him. The most important law! We would because now we are giving more priority to higher income jobs, and the financial security of living in a 1st World country than God's Will! Even if they don't admit it, they are doing this to be more 'secure' financially which is to be more independent from God, which God doesn't want.

I also told them the wish to help out the poor Muslim community in our city within a small Jewish family. Again they objected and though I'm losing my mind and I need (psychological) help!! In this case, they worried for my safety. But Jesus commanded "He who seeks to save his life will lose it but he who loses his life for my sake will gain it". I understand a parent's concern for the life of their children.

Because of my new beliefs, new level of passion for God as now I strive to get God #1 in my life. My parents now think I don't love them!! Ironically: Matthew 10:34-38 (NIV)

34 “Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn “‘a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law — 36 a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’[a] 37 “Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38 Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me.

My family thinks I'm getting too radical in my faith. That martyrdom, Christian radicalism, etc is only reserved for FEW Christians!!!

Which brings up another disturbing verse
Matthew 7:13-14 (NIV)

13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a FEW find it.

If we are now truly sons of God, we would begin to seek the truth and realize the corrupt world system/economy which exploits the poor and no longer wishes to be part of it or contribute to it even to improve it because it won't work and it is evil!

My parents wishes for me to belong to the society, to be accepted by it, not to live like a loser. But Jesus commands otherwise. "He who is in the world, the love of the Father is not in him"

May parents would not accept, they believe you can have good life here on Earth and be a Christian at the same time. Sounds familiar?? heloo prosperity preachers!! Unfortunately MOST Christians in our church are very like my Parents. There are MANY of them!

Only FEW finds the narrow road because it's radical, insane, crazy! But as a matter of factly, history always prove that only those FEW crazy, radical, and insane people could ever make a dent in this world. If you are like most Christians who would NOT love God with all your heart, mind, strength and soul, Satan loves you because you can do nothing to thwart his plans!!

So think again. If Matthew 10:34-38 is not a reality in your Christian life, either there's something wrong with your doctrine or your parents simply doesn't care or even hates you from the beginning!
Peace!

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
You sound like a good human being, but I had to stop reading at "God gave me the wisdom to analyze the world economy".

IMO you gave yourself that wisdom through research, questioning and experience.

Don't short change yourself because of ancient myths.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

We live in a third world country Philippines. My parents were born in a very poor family in a hand-to-mouth existence. They learned to survive by wits and to grab every opportunity as if it is between life and death! Unfortunately this mentality carried on when we finally got out of poverty and upon conversion to Christianity. What makes this worse is that the 'Prosperity Gospel' has gained its ground in Philippines, even if most Christians here deny it, it is here to stay!

Christians do not need to worry about petty things like prosperity. When i became a christian, i asked Yahweh to show me how to pray. He told me "Do not pray for selfish things, for he has taken care of me the moment i first believed, but rather pray for those whom have not come to him, it is they who need my prayers"

God is our provider, we do not ever have to worry about a thing because Jesus will never fail us. We are his sheep and he feeds us. Just listen to his voice.

Shalom.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
There are alot of people around who act like they are God's best friend (self proclaimed prophets), youtube channel example : godshealer7.

As a Catholic myself, the way I see it is, if you try to live your life with the mentality of, do unto others as you would to yourself, and love one another as I have loved you. If I am found unworthy of eternal life, (even though it is stated that eternal life is free gift that is given, not EARNT, upon receiving Jesus as your savior) then so be it.

If the majority of human beings end up in hell, then Christ did not achieve victory, his mission was not successful. 100 billion in hell, and a few hundred thousand in heaven, seems a bit unrealistic. Especially when you consider that christian faith is based on believing that Christ was the word made flesh, and losing to one of his own creation; seems absolutely inconceivable to me.

I would suggest, pursue your research, but, do your best to remain humble.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

Have you read John chapter 6?

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
reply to post by ahnggk

Christians do not need to worry about petty things like prosperity. When i became a christian, i asked Yahweh to show me how to pray. He told me "Do not pray for selfish things, for he has taken care of me the moment i first believed, but rather pray for those whom have not come to him, it is they who need my prayers"

God is our provider, we do not ever have to worry about a thing because Jesus will never fail us. We are his sheep and he feeds us. Just listen to his voice.

Shalom.

There isn't anything wrong with prosperity. God has promised to prosper us. And prosperity means more than $$$. The problem is materialism. You have to know how to wrestle Biblical prosperity away from materialism.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
This is disturbing but to be fair there is context to consider...right? Hmm seems to be argument by scholars over it...

link

Do not think that I came to bring peace on Earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man's enemies will be the members of his household. He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who does not take his cross and follow Me is not worthy of Me. He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it. (Matthew 10:34–39 NASB)

49 I have come to cast fire upon the Earth; and how I wish it were already kindled! 50 But I have a baptism* to undergo, and how distressed I am until it is accomplished! 51 Do you suppose that I came to grant peace on earth? I tell you, no, but rather division; 52 for from now on five members in one household will be divided, three against two and two against three. 53 They will be divided, father* against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law. (Luke 12:49–53)

49 I am come to send fire on Earth; and what will I, if it be already kindled? 50 But I have a baptism to be baptized with; and how am I straitened till it be accomplished! 51 Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division: 52 For from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three. 53 The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. (Luke 12:49–53)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Epirus

Do not think that I came to bring peace on Earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I came to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man's enemies will be the members of his household. He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who does not take his cross and follow Me is not worthy of Me. He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it. (Matthew 10:34–39 NASB)

He did indeed bring a sword. The sword of truth that cleaves the wicked from the righteous. 2000 years ago believing in him meant that your own family might turn you in for apostacy to be executed or imprisoned. If people who began to believe in him turned back to their old traditions they weren't worthy of him. To this day it is still this way. People who come from nonchristian families who become christian, are looked down upon and persecuted, in the M.E. it is even worse, muslim who turn away from Islam's tradition find themselves being executed for following after Jesus, and China has problems as well. People who think Jesus is a hippy have no idea who he really is or what he is capable of.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

Wow! that's strong faith that i wish i had. thank you, you inspired me and made me think twice.

you have a soft heart and open mind so ill give you something to ponder on and hope you do some research, i noticed that you are using the "NIV" well you know they made like 300 changes to it witch makes it corrupt. please BE WARNED.

Revelation 22:18

The Corrupt Tree Called The NIV
(i don't know why this link above is not working just Google the title it works)

The N. I. V. INFECTION

please do your research and see for your self how the NIV is a corrupt seed of man. i suggest you stick with old trusted King James Bible.

and again thanks for this post it is inspiring.

edit on 7/30/2012 by o0pinMind0o because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

reply to post by Epirus

He did indeed bring a sword. The sword of truth that cleaves the wicked from the righteous. 2000 years ago believing in him meant that your own family might turn you in for apostacy to be executed or imprisoned. If people who began to believe in him turned back to their old traditions they weren't worthy of him. To this day it is still this way. People who come from nonchristian families who become christian, are looked down upon and persecuted, in the M.E. it is even worse, muslim who turn away from Islam's tradition find themselves being executed for following after Jesus, and China has problems as well. People who think Jesus is a hippy have no idea who he really is or what he is capable of.

Well studied my friend, your answer is right on. That twas the meaning.

TY

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

reply to post by ahnggk

Shalom.

There isn't anything wrong with prosperity. God has promised to prosper us. And prosperity means more than $$$. The problem is materialism. You have to know how to wrestle Biblical prosperity away from materialism.

I'm just saying, we don't have to worry about such things, He will always provide for us.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

True. But we still need to work and such, just learn to not worry. Trust in the Lord for the worries of tomorrow.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

True. But we still need to work and such, just learn to not worry. Trust in the Lord for the worries of tomorrow.

Trust in yourself and the lord will understand that you have trust in him for he made you so to trust in yourself is to trust in him and it is designed as such. You need to read between the lines more as he desired. The worries will not go away if you do not trust yourself ... you must trust yourself in order to let him know that you trust him because he made you and if you don't trust what he made you do not trust him.

We are not God's slaves, we are God's children.
edit on 30-7-2012 by Epirus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by o0pinMind0o

please do your research and see for your self how the NIV is a corrupt seed of man. i suggest you stick with old trusted King James Bible.

This is a deception, God's tetragrammaton name was replaced by titles like LORD and "the Lord" in the KJV series, some 6300 changes by omitting. My advice is to study more than one copy, and then get an aramaic to english bible that doesn't omitt God's name, because i can tell you his name is not LORD. No one bible is "better" than another. For seriously bible study use more than one copy, for every day usage for common learning any version is applicable to get the message across.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

I commend you, and welcome you as a brother/sister in Christ. To live as Jesus did, not merely as his faithful is a greater calling than merely being a believer.

If you are well, and do not desire more, but to just give of yourself further to live as Christ did, is powerful & pure.

I am of the same mind. I do not know if I will be forever able to go with as little as I have now, but I do hope to be certain to have enough money to retire comfortably on later in life. Disgusting displays of wealth bother me. "Love of The World, is Enmity with God" I live in America "The land of Mammon."

God Bless!

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

reply to post by o0pinMind0o

This is a deception, God's tetragrammaton name was replaced by titles like LORD and "the Lord" in the KJV series, some 6300 changes by omitting. My advice is to study more than one copy, and then get an aramaic to english bible that doesn't omitt God's name, because i can tell you his name is not LORD. No one bible is "better" than another. For seriously bible study use more than one copy, for every day usage for common learning any version is applicable to get the message across.

But bro, what the other member is talking about is the blatant removal of verses. Google "NIV Test Online".

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Epirus

Trust in yourself and the lord will understand that you have trust in him for he made you so to trust in yourself is to trust in him and it is designed as such. You need to read between the lines more as he desired. The worries will not go away if you do not trust yourself ... you must trust yourself in order to let him know that you trust him because he made you and if you don't trust what he made you do not trust him.

We are not God's slaves, we are God's children.
edit on 30-7-2012 by Epirus because: (no reason given)

Psalm 3:5, Jeremiah 9:23. And who said anything about being a slave? I didn't say that. I would call myself a bond servant though, one who serves willfully and joyfully. It's an honor to serve others and God rewards a man who works hard.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
It's prudent to add Matthew 6:33 here:

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

But bro, what the other member is talking about is the blatant removal of verses. Google "NIV Test Online".

Well i haven't read the entire NIV, i jump translations using biblegateway to cross reference different bibles to get a general consensus when i'm looking up certain scripture. SDA's are in an uproar over these kinds of things, i did watch something from Walter Veith about the "battle of the bibles" and he cited the NIV a few times. I'll have to look more into it, not that i doubt what you're saying, i just haven't come across it myself since i usually use NKJV for daily study and i've got Strong's Concordance.
edit on 30-7-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

You have your own calling and your own walk. Work out your own soul salvation . Your family can't walk it for you. Don't worry. Do what you know is right.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join