It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Announces News Conferences For Mars Landing (Curiosity Rover)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
NASA has announced a series of news conferences leading up to the landing of the latest Mars rover -- The Mars Science Laboratiry (MSL) named "Curiosity", which is scheduled to land on Mars August 5th (or 6th, depending on your timezone)

NASA Announces News Activities For Mars Landing

The next Press conference is Thursday 10:00 AM PDT (1:00 PM EDT, 1700 UTC)

Here are some additional sources of info on the MSL:

www.nasa.gov...
www.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Subbed because I think mars is the next big step for humanity.

If we could get on mars that would be amazing. But alas by the time colonization starts all of us would long be dead

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Flagged for two reasons.

1.) I'm extremely interested in weather or not, the "Rube Goldberg" Style landing will work as they are hoping it will.

2.) I think, space is the next big step for man. It would solve a lot of problems on earth.

bonus reason! Mars rocks!

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Too bad I cannot access any Nasa sites anymore... keep getting "server not found"... looks like they cut my butt off because I am not in the US. Anyone else have this problem?

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Conferences?...
Did they clear it with these guys first this time?

just joking. It will be cool to see when they announce when Mars with be the next inhabitable planet.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blastoff
Too bad I cannot access any Nasa sites anymore... keep getting "server not found"... looks like they cut my butt off because I am not in the US. Anyone else have this problem?

Have you tried the Ustream feed of NASA TV? I don't know if it can be accessed outside the US, but you can give it a try:

Ustream: www.ustream.tv...

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

Originally posted by Blastoff

Have you tried the Ustream feed of NASA TV? I don't know if it can be accessed outside the US, but you can give it a try:

Ustream: www.ustream.tv...

Ustream seems to be working.

Thank you very much.

Blast

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

i never new about ustream, now i will get even less work done! I already spend a good part of my workday on atsm now i can watch puppies and get up to date on my conspiracys. Gee thanks.

:O)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Neat.
Thanks for the heads up!

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I say mars will be the next human colony even over the moon. At least it has some sort of o2 in the atmosphere that can be harvested to give fresh air to the colonists and help them self sustain themselves. THeres plenty of water near the poles that can be harvested and O2 made from that also. So what if it's cold. We can set up outposts in the antarctic then we can survive the weather of mars.

I don't care if we have secret saucers that have already been traveling to mars for years. Seeing what NASA and JPL are trying to do with the mars rovers still swells me up with pride for humanity. Either way you slice it it's one hell of an achievement.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruptedstructure

Man I love that picture

Sorry for the off topic remark , gents

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Here's a promotional website that talks about the rover and lists some parties/events related to it in different cities. It's also got a nifty countdown timer.

getcurious.com

And here's William Shatner explaining the way this thing is going to land. Drops into the atmosphere in a heat shield reminiscent of a flying saucer, deploys a drogue parachute which slows it down then releases it and lands on the surface with rockets. Looks pretty awesome actually, after it lands the rocket assembly flies off to crash safely away from the rover... or maybe to do secret stuff elsewhere.

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

MSL Remains on Track for Weekend Landing
Thu, 02 Aug 2012 03:22:02 PM PDT
Curiosity remains in good health, with no significant issues currently in work. There are no real-time activities planned today. The Mars Science Laboratory spacecraft remains on a consistent and stable course, well within the limits required to reach its target landing ellipse. As a result, yesterday the flight team decided to cancel the build and test of a contingency version of Trajectory Correction Maneuver 5. This contingency manuever, had it been needed, would have been used in the event an emergency prevented the team from executing the nominal scheduled TCM-5 maneuver, which is planned for Friday, Aug. 3, if needed. The project also canceled a corresponding update to parameters for the autonomous software controlling events during entry, descent and landing.
Source (NASA Site)

Thought i would post this update. Everything is going fine so far.

Hopefully it continues that way!

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I am sooo looking forward to this!!!
Thanks for the UPDATE

top topics

join