It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you help but do evil? I do not see how. Do you?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

reply to post by NOTurTypical

You believe you could easily kill me???
Ok - this is your 'belief'.
Belief is 'thinking'.

Why are you getting bent over a hypothetical illustration? But yes, one bullet to the head by a military trained person would "easily" do the trick.

You said you can easily kill me. Now you tell me a trained military person would 'easily' do the trick.
Do you really believe 'you' could kill me easily???

I am the military trained person with the gun.

Now i understand why you believe in 'good' and 'evil', you have been trained to seek the 'evil' ones. You have been conditioned to seek and destroy. You have been trained to see 'evil'. You have been taught division.
You believe you are on the 'good' side and that there are others on the 'bad' side.
edit on 4-8-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   

reply to post by Greatest I am

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.

What if I don't think it's bad to go on a shooting rampage? What if my tribe of cannibals do not think it's bad to murder the missionary and his family so we can have a big barbeque? What about the men who flew planes into the WTC buildings, was that "good" since they thought it was?

So you do 'think' it is ok to go on a shooting rampage.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

The US government isn't my moral authority, the Word of God is. Still waiting for you to copy/paste the "relativist fallacy" for the class...

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

What if I don't think it's bad to go on a shooting rampage? What if my tribe of cannibals do not think it's bad to murder the missionary and his family so we can have a big barbeque? What about the men who flew planes into the WTC buildings, was that "good" since they thought it was?

Absolutely not, but others think it's good to go on one. Under your philosophy both me and Mr. Holmes would be right.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Still awaiting a discussion. I am not the teacher.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Absolutely not, but others think it's good to go on one. Under your philosophy both me and Mr. Holmes would be right.

But you are a trained killer who could kill me easily.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

It's not relative to the person. Google "relativist fallacy".

That's my point.

Please discuss your point.

What is the "relativist fallacy""?

Copy/paste it here.

This is a discussion board!! Please explain in your own words how it is realative to the discussion.

Here, let me assist...

The Relativist Fallacy is committed when a person rejects a claim by asserting that the claim might be true for others but is not for him/her. This sort of "reasoning" has the following form:

Relativist Fallacy.

Sorry, truth is not relative and the denial of absolute truth is self-refuting.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

That's true. And you're trying to claim that the only thing that would make that act good or evil is my thoughts on the subject. Lucky for you I think it's evil.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Good or bad is what you believe because you have been told what is good and what is bad. Depending on where you grow up and what knowledge you have gathered determines your definition of good and bad. Not just that but something you thought was good yesterday turns out for the bad today. Good and bad are not fixed, not reliable, they are not truth. Good and bad are beliefs.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

That's true. And you're trying to claim that the only thing that would make that act good or evil is my thoughts on the subject. Lucky for you I think it's evil.

If you are a trained military person you have agreed to kill 'certain' people who you have put in the evil box. You do not know those certain people, you have just learned good and bad, you learned it from people who have decided for you.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

reply to post by arpgme

Freewill is debatable.

To not believe in free-will is to be a SLAVE.

You have the ability to focus your thought, you can contemplate your actions. You are choosing them. Whether this is an "illusion" or not in a higher realm is irrelevant, I'm talking about the mind choosing between choices, which we KNOW happens, unless you believe that you are a SLAVE to thoughts/ your mind? Which would be very sad...

if you can not trust yourself (illusion of "free-will" or "existence) there is nothing at all in reality (?) that you can trust...

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

There is no thing you can trust.
There is no individual freewill.
God is doing it all.
Have faith.

Please check wiki for their definition of freewill, they say it is debatable.
edit on 5-8-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

If you believe you have freewill you are a slave to the mind. The mind believes it has freewill so is always confused, that's why it never shuts up - it 'thinks' it has a choice and that is stressful, it is a heavy burden. You believe you are responsible for life, you 'think' you do life. Life is hard work when you have to do it.
Life moves on it's own, all you have to do is sit back and enjoy the show.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
The content of your mind is not your choice.
youtu.be...

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Greatest I am

Originally posted by akushla99
Oh no....another one of those, 'I don't know what the *#ck's going on', trolling threads...

Why would you care what anyone thinks? You obviously have all the answers to your questions!

Your Free Will to follow those answers will reap (according to any cosmological treatise) what you sow.
What others do/think, then, is none of your business...because you already KNOW.

Your 'arguments' are wholly referenced to a christian perspective...you question thier validity based on a credence you accept from them, then question thier validity...in effect questioning yourself...a confused mess!

A99

Thanks for ignoring the issue.
Who's the troll?

Regards
DL

I think I pretty well summed up the answer for You my friend...

"Your 'arguments' are wholly referenced to a christian perspective...you question thier validity based on a credence you accept from them, then question thier validity...in effect questioning yourself..."

If You didn't like the answer, that's Your prerogative...

The 'issue', as I saw it presented, was hardly ignored...you have, in effect, assumed that what you have written somehow has substance, asked a series of confused questions based on what you accept of that - and then questioned the mechanics of it...you either understand it or you don't...I don't think you do...and I basically said as much.

Sorry it didn't meet your approval. Troll?

A99

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   

The content of your mind is not your choice.
youtu.be...

Sure, my mind just "gathers" information from the 5 senses, and when I think I can only perceive of that which my 5 senses learned through this experience called life, BUT, I can still CHOOSE which things I want to focus on.

If life has caused me to think about "food" for example, I can think of a cherry, or a grape, or a banana, or french fries, etc.

This is what free-will is being able to make your own choices, I CHOOSE from the information my 5 senses gathered and put in my brain... It is free-will / freedom, because I don't have to think of one particular thing or food.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Actually, in a military conflict you kill other people who are trying to kill you.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   

reply to post by arpgme

There is no thing you can trust.
There is no individual freewill.
God is doing it all.
Have faith.

Please check wiki for their definition of freewill, they say it is debatable.

Sounds like you're getting caught up in the Calvinism and Arminianism debate. One says predestination, the other says free will. We were all predestined to be able to believe in God, but not everyone will make that choice.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Actually, in a military conflict you kill other people who are trying to kill you.

They don't like you in their country because you are carrying a gun.
Who are the good guys and who were the bad guys in cowboy and indian films?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Evil is born of self- good is born of absence of selfish motive. It's that cut and dry. Such an easy fix, on the surface... problem is that selfishness seems to be one of our most primitive and powerful impulses.

~Heff

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join