It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The unwritten rules of ATS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Hello everyone, I seek to start contributing to above top secrets. There is some information I am very excited to share with everyone here. Nothing “above top secret” but still very interesting and sensitive information not known by many. When I am able to post threads I will do so.

Main reason i started reading above top secret was to make the psychological profile of Jared Lee Loughner based on the posts he made on ATS for a university project. I have never stopped reading this site ever since.

In the mean time, I was wondering if there are some unwritten rules about ATS. Are there some subjects that are to avoid, people known not to argue with, things not to ask other members, etc..?

Thank you.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
The most recent is don't glorify Nazis and Hitler.

Anyways,welcome and give her a shot.

Peace,
K

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
well, on no account mention #### ######. or ****. also, don't be nasty to ####. ************ or !!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

otherwise it's all good. welcome!

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Welcome to ATS.

I am sure you will here many different views on what to, or not to post.
Here are some of mine.

-Never. Ask. For. Flags. Or. Stars.
-ATS is not biased or an NSA control measure.
-NO one line posts.
-Always check your grammar and spelling.
-Use the "Search" function before posting a new thread.
-Pictures or it didn't happen.
-And this may be the most important, Don't feed the Trolls!

The ATS Freshman's Forum is a good place to start.

Enjoy your time here, feel free to ask any questions you might have.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThomasLok
Hello everyone, I seek to start contributing to above top secrets. There is some information I am very excited to share with everyone here. Nothing “above top secret” but still very interesting and sensitive information not known by many. When I am able to post threads I will do so.

Main reason i started reading above top secret was to make the psychological profile of Jared Lee Loughner based on the posts he made on ATS for a university project. I have never stopped reading this site ever since.

In the mean time, I was wondering if there are some unwritten rules about ATS. Are there some subjects that are to avoid, people known not to argue with, things not to ask other members, etc..?

Thank you.

Pretty good first post you have here. Good questions.

There are no certain members to avoid. That's going to be up to you as you start getting to "know" people. I'm sure you'll figure out the trolls from the contributing members.

Always use the search bar before posting a new topic. It could very well be here already.

Try to keep a started topic in the relevant forum. There are a lot to choose from so that one can be very tricky sometimes. For example, what you think might belong in the relationship forum could actually be a better fit in the philosophical forum as those two can cross the line quite easily.

Don't ask for personal information. You're not going to get it and you'll piss people off in the process. People like their anonymity here.

Don't even bother trying to start a topic on drugs. No matter how well intentioned your meaning is, or the positive social relevance, it will get 404'd. I guarantee it.

I'm sure there are others that more members will let you know of, actually expect a mod here shortly to give you a bunch of links, but I can't think of any right now.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Every new member is required to deposit 20 US dollars into my Paypal acct c/o The Church Of The Sacred Bleeding Heart of Jesus located somewhere in Los Angelos California.

Just Kidding

You'll learn a lot here. Welcome aboard.

youtu.be...

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ThomasLok

Welcome, first off.

And it's generally fair game - but ATS likes to protect itself on various levels, so be cautious of any discussion of "illicit" substances as this tends to devolve to accounts of personal use and ATS takes itself very seriously in policing drug experiences. That's a good way to get a thread or post memory-holed. This is a sad thing, but whatever.

Otherwise, you're generally up for whatever as long as you stay within T&Cs, to my knowledge. I haven't seen any subjects banned outright, otherwise, just manner of presenting or discussing them.

Welcome again, and take care. Nice to have met you!

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Develop a very thick skin.
Don't write stupid comments.
Don't be an idiot and claim something as true without solid evidence.
Even third graders know how to capitalize the first letter of a sentence and form paragraphs. Do this!

Enjoy your stay.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Hi! Welcome to ATS! Looking forward to your threads...

I had already been a member for a couple of years when the Jared Loughner mass shooting occurred, but I must admit, I was absolutely glued to this site for at least the next three solid days running, just following everything that came up! The video where he set fire to the flag was incredibly creepy. You're in the company of plenty of others who are interested in offbeat topics, and there is almost always something interesting to read here. Enjoy!

LOL - and take jiggerj's excellect advice to heart!

edit on 30-0720127-1212 by gwynnhwyfar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThomasLok

Thank you.

Welcome to ATS.....there are certainly some "written" rules
ATS Terms & Conditions of Use. If you will read that and follow it, you will have a smooth time here!

So you know, we do not allow "hit lists" here, so nobody will be allowed to name names as you requested

If you read the T&C, you will see which subjects are not allowed to be discussed here....basically anything that is illegal. I suggest you read that part carefully.

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to ask!

Have fun. Learn much.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Yes, don't pee on our legs and tell us it's raining.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to ask!

GEL - is that avatar actually supposed to be a representation of yourself to some degree, or is it merely artistic?

You never responded - via post tracking, anyway - to my last question to you after I gave you props for being mentioned on one of the MU podcasts...so, my apologies for calling you out, but you DO seem to be one of the ATS 1%, so... you know.

Be well. And welcome again, new member! Just...don't go illegal, if you want to stick around. Since ATS is like, all...delicate, and stuff.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Hello and welcome!

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Please do not create massive walls of unbroken text. Space things out with punctuation and distinct paragraphs. People will be all over you if you don't, and I personally will have to find my glasses to be able to read your threads if you don't.

Please don't make me break out my glasses- the grandbaby thinks that is her cue to seek and destroy them!

Oh, and welcome to you!

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Great question!!

ATS Admin and Owners are very, very strict when it comes to mentioning personal use of drugs, or their legalization. Better to avoid the subject altogether.

They don't tolerate direct threats or wishing for the deaths of any public figure.

They don't tolerate personal attacks against fellow ATSers. Disagree all you want, but don't call them names or tell them to get lost.

Racism is not tolerated in any shape or form, and this goes for pro-Hitler talk as well. Even if you believe Hitler was an extremely talented leader that misplaced his skills and became a monster, you can't talk about it. The same with racial stereotypes and such. No matter how obvious they are, or how well-meaning your post is, it will invariably lead down the wrong path, so they just choose to nip them right up front. Don't even bother.

Sex is another tricky one. It is more open than drugs and racism, but it makes some of the members and staff uncomfortable, so tread lightly. Sometimes threads about prostitution, or rape in other countries, or child-abuse can be successful, but normally they go a little while and then end up closed.

Hitler, drugs, racism, and sex should be handled with extreme kiddy-care.
edit on 31-7-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-7-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
Welcome to ATS.

-Use the "Search" function before posting a new thread.

But be prepared for it to suck and to post threads that have already been posted.

Also, hello.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

First thing...Welcome to ATS.
Second thing,what another member already posted...
grow a thick skin.
Third thing,a super mod quotes this...post unto others as you
would have them post to you.These are words of wisdom to remember.
Fourth thing...Queen Mamabeth is always right

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
hey very good question indeed

Nice to have you here on ATS

Welcome

UD

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
well then.....you may have not been informed but you must tell us your secrets....

1. where is your money stashed....just out of curiosity

2. who do you find attractive at work and how can I get in contact.

3. what have you not told your parents about your childhood fiascos....and how can I tell them for you...

JK..

hope you find your time here informative and entertaining as well.....c ya around.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Hello and welcome. there is certainly more to behold here than the phycological profile of a single man i promise you this

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
The world isn't all Rainbows, Unicorns and sunshine.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join