It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery in the desert

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I got a chance a couple years ago to see the V-22 Osprey at Marine Days at Arlington Racetrack by Chicago. They did a flyover and a demonstration of Marines landing on the horse track in Sea Knights and being picked up the V-22. THAT was amazing!

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by _Del_

Actually that does look exactly like it. Like I said it was a long day, and California is an evil state, so I might have gotten my locations backassward, but that looks like what I saw.

Probably it then. I looked at the chart and there is nothing on the chart west of Barstow-Daggett until Apple Valley or Victorville.
Hector is a VOR station so it's not directly connected to a particular airport. It's just a way point for Radio nav. There is an established holding area at Hector for Barstow-Daggett if approaching runway 26. I don't imagine it gets too busy there too often, though.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by dainoyfb
Seems kind of dangerous to have something producing a GSI that is not associated with an actual runway. Also odd that several seasoned pilots are not recognizing it as specific instrumentation. Just my thoughts.
edit on 31-7-2012 by dainoyfb because: of typo.

---->

Well, it takes two pilots (in my outfit) to tune the boxes into an ILS.
Capture isn't someththing that happens by accident.

And if it did we would discover at minima and go missed.

Now why do they put an ILS in the middle of nowhere?

VTOL airplanes operated by millitary is an interesting theory!

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Its not ILS and its not "in the middle of nowhere" - its a waypoint and transponder antenna, and its exactly where it should be, which is where its needed.

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by RichardPrice

No, but when you live somewhere that only has ILS, and doesn't have waypoint markers, and you see something that looks identical, then it's an ILS until you learn otherwise.

I've driven through almost every state on the mainland (obviously not every mile of every one), but this is the first antenna that I've seen that was away from an airport and in the middle of nowhere.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by RichardPrice

No, but when you live somewhere that only has ILS, and doesn't have waypoint markers, and you see something that looks identical, then it's an ILS until you learn otherwise.

I've driven through almost every state on the mainland (obviously not every mile of every one), but this is the first antenna that I've seen that was away from an airport and in the middle of nowhere.

Waypoints don't have to be related to an airport or airfield, there are numerous general waypoint beacons dotted around the continental USA - the same goes for transponder stations, as they form one of the basis of ATC.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join