It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone from West Virginia?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Hello ATS. I was wondering if anyone is from West Virginia. If so, what is the weather usually like there? How are the winters? Also, what are job prospects like? How much is the average rent for a 3 bedroom place and what are the gas prices? Thanks for any info.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Hello,

Born and raised in West by God Virginia. Lived in the southern part of the state while growing up, now live close to Morgantown, home of WVU. I've been to every state in the U.S. except for 5 and in my opinion WV is one of the best states to live in.

There are jobs available in the coal mines and oil field. You can find a job here if you get out and look for one. I'm currently at work using my phone, I will get back to you later tonight and answer more of your questions.

Pladuim

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
West Virginia is a big state. What part are you looking at?

I travel to WVA. It is the next state over.

Most beautiful in the lower 48 imo. People are wonderfully nice unless you are a minority.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Born and raised here in the sticks of West "By Gawd" Virginia.

The weather down here can be very tricky to predict here. Summer is usually hot and sticky between about the middle of July to about mid August. Its been known to hit 100 degrees here in the past. In fact, just this summer we've had a few records broken with triple digit heat. It usually gets up to around 90 to 95 degrees here in the summer. Factor in the humidity and it will feel like its over 100 degrees when that happens. This summer has been one of the hottest summers that we've had here in fifty plus years.

Job market is slowly growing around here. Century Aluminum just outside of Ravenswood in Jackson County has reopened and is currently hiring. The former Naval Ordinance Center in South Charleston is slated to reopen before the end of the year. The old Ordinance Center is now being leased out to Gestamp who hopes to have at least 175 people employed by the end of the year. That plant has been idled since 2006 when the former leasers, Union Stamping & Assembly, declared bankruptcy.

Gas prices here are about average compared to around the nation. It usually fluctuates between $3.35 and $3.45 a gallon. It really all depends on what the gas prices around the nation are doing. However, there are some places around here where it may be a little bit cheaper at one gas station over another. It really all depends on what gas station you go to. I've came to find that the gas stations that Krogers has put in here can save you some money if you use the discount card that you can get from them.

As for the cost of rent on a house or an apartment. It really depends on what part of the state you want to move to. From what I have seen, the average rent on a two or three bedroom house around here usually runs about $425 to $475 a month down here. However, rentals may be either lower or high in other parts of the state. I would suggest looking around first just to see what you can find and for what price.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Thank you all for the info. It's very helpful.

new topics

top topics

join