It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Easy, Constitutional Answer for Gun Control ?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
There is one really, really easy Constitutionally acceptable answer to gun control that I'm not sure that anyone has talked about in the USA.

What would anyone be able to do if the US Government was to simply tax gun purchases extremely heavily and push the cost of guns outside the price range of the average American?

Guns would still be readily available, therefore this wouldn't violate everyone's Second Amendment rights, so a Supreme Court challenge would fail, but guns would be priced so high that it would be cost prohibitive for the average person to own one.

Do the same thing with Ammunition, simply tax it excessively high. If it cost $20 a round and $5000 for a handgun, maybe the average American would think twice before spending the day at the firing range.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
One reason I have already bought mine, with ammo, ya just never know anymore.

2nd

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
There is one really, really easy Constitutionally acceptable answer to gun control that I'm not sure that anyone has talked about in the USA.

What would anyone be able to do if the US Government was to simply tax gun purchases extremely heavily and push the cost of guns outside the price range of the average American?

Guns would still be readily available, therefore this wouldn't violate everyone's Second Amendment rights, so a Supreme Court challenge would fail, but guns would be priced so high that it would be cost prohibitive for the average person to own one.

Do the same thing with Ammunition, simply tax it excessively high. If it cost $20 a round and $5000 for a handgun, maybe the average American would think twice before spending the day at the firing range.

In short, you'll make the black market that much more popular all the while only restricting those willing to abide by legal routes - which effectively means you are primarily benefiting the criminal segment of the population.

I don't understand why everyone wants to disarm the law-abiding and sensible, without realizing that you aren't doing much of anything to affect those on the opposite end of the spectrum. Wouldn't you rather have some armed friendlies to offset the armed hostiles, and make the hostiles a bit more hesitant to take advantage of the innocent?

Remember, the police are always only minutes away (average response time of six minutes, I believe?)...when you need them in seconds.
edit on 7/30/2012 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

Black Market guns would be even more expensive than they are in retail, Black marketeers still need to get their guns from somewhere.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Black Market guns would be even more expensive than they are in retail, Black marketeers still need to get their guns from somewhere.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

To my understanding, most Americans don't want gun control. Its just a vocal minority that wants it.

As much as I appreciate your input, I don't think that would work too well. Just letting the rich have guns is actually opposite of the intention of the 2nd amendment. The 2nd amendment is more so everyone can have guns.

Personally, I'm happy with the American gun laws and don't think much should be done to change it. My vote would be to let more states have CCW licenses actually, probably a little opposite of what you were thinking. What can i say, we just do things differently in America.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Here is a thought: no gun control....

Call me crazy, but that's one of the rights I think we were given by those that created this nation.

The fact gun control is even considered is total bull $#it.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Depends on the type of black market we're talking about. You can't make every manufacturer in the world or every other country raise their prices, nor prevent some corporate corruption and pocket-lining from releasing some weapons at lower cost - let alone backwoods manufacturers from springing up (think about moonshiners during prohibition - do you really want to turn criminals onto even less-safe unregulated homemade weapons, and the like?).

Consider prescription medications - why is it cheaper and some people are willing to go get them (or pay others to do so) in Mexico, Canada, and the like and smuggle them back in to the US, etc.?

The market will always find a way when outside influence perverts its normal functioning.
edit on 7/30/2012 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

I don't think you understand the black market too well.. Yes that would be true for things that are straight illegal everywhere around the world. But as long as theirs somewhere its legal and cheap, its as easy as sending it through FEDEX. I've heard stories.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Simple, On the day they do that, you would have many gun owners marching to Washington to "GIVE" their guns to their representatives and congressmen personally.

Its actually the whole purpose of the 2nd in the first place.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Second Amendment to the US Constitution
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

It is the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms. Placing a high tax upon weapon that would place them out of the reach of most people would be a clear infringement upon that right.

Guns do not kill people, people do. We have laws against murder, yet people still get murdered. Do you really think more gun laws are the answer?

In a society where the people can not defend themselves that are at the mercy of the criminals and the government.

In Aurora where the shooting occurred there were 2 Police Officer on scene running security when the shooting happened. Even though there were 2 Cops on hand 12 people still died and 50 people were still wounded.

You cannot depend upon the Police to protect you, the Police respond to crime. But until they arrive your on your own. So you better be prepared to defend yourself, or pray someone is willing to defend you, other wise kiss your ass good bye.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Your plan only assures that wealthy people can afford guns. It seems to me that you somehow equate wealthy people as trustworthy and responsible, and poor people as criminals, thugs and unable to own guns responsibly.

That's as un-American as it gets.

Plus, there are TONS of guns already out there. The black market wouldn't pay full price for new guns, they can get plenty of used guns much cheaper.

Sorry to be blunt, but there is nothing to recommend or like about this idea.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I could be mistaken, but if it's a federal tax, it only applies if the item is sold across state lines. So state run gun manufacturers would pop up. This should avoid the federal tax.

Any politician that voted for it would most likely lose their job.

There are something on the order of 500 million guns in America...a tax wouldn't REALLY effect anything from a safety perspective.

What part of "shall not be infringed" do people have a problem understanding.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Nephlim

I don't think you understand the black market too well.. Yes that would be true for things that are straight illegal everywhere around the world. But as long as theirs somewhere its legal and cheap, its as easy as sending it through FEDEX. I've heard stories.

And, when someone realizes they can corner the market by manufacturing & distributing more cheaply than everyone else (which means illegally in this case, I suppose), don't THINK it won't happen.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

I have access to a machine shop and have made detailed machine drawings of each of my guns. Right now it is cheaper just to go out and buy one, but, if that were to change.....

Here's one for you. How about we just get rid of gun laws entirely? They don't work.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

It would violate the constitution to do so. Its not just about having the right to guns, it also means having access to weapons to not only protect, but overthrow a corrupt government with which is also a mandate of the constitution.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Guns are already out of the price range for millions of Americans how many can drop over $700 bucks for a handgun, and over $1000 for an AR-15, or Ak-47.

First step mission accomplished be it not really a tax per say.

The Federal government already taxes class 3 firearms and other destructive devices, then add the regulation in to that mix, and you can see why pre86, and older "machine guns sell for over $5000 bucks going up to over $300,000 for a gatling gun

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

I am not a huge gun advocate, though I am a huge self-defense advocate. I am unsure of your logic here. How are, "guns....readily available" if they are taxed "extremely heavily", therefore placing the average person outside of the realm of purchasing a tool to defend their own self, a viable solution or even a constitutional one?
edit on 30-7-2012 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nephlim

Excellent point! Reminds me of back in the late 80's when I would import my own Canadian Club rye whiskey to South Africa. With the taxes in Canada a 40oz bottle was around $32 because of the ridiculous taxes. In South Africa I shipped in 12 40oz bottles for just over R120 (about $60cdn) sans tax ;-) which makes it about 5 bucks a 40oz bottle. The same thing would happen with guns, ship them out to someone in a gun friendly country and then ship them back in pieces and call it an "experimental kit." You could do the same thing with reloaders.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I'm confused on this matter, can some members help me understand some things here, there are some dots I'm not connecting, (I'm Canadian we're not big gun advocates up here)

Why would the PTB try to restrict the population's right to bear arms via the recent Aurora (false flag) shooting?

Do they fear a revolution by aware armed citizens against the govn't due to compromising the constitution and stripping other rights. In this case, wouldn't they rely on law enforcement officers to perform regular duty and protect whatever institutions are under attack, but lets say LEO are 100% behind the revolt - Which individuals would be on the receiving end of the revolt anyways? Seems like they've done a good job layering and hiding, leaving us in the dark as far as where to strike, so why do they fear us anyways?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join