It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US-Iranian team to conduct underwater excavation in Persian Gulf

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

US-Iranian team to conduct underwater excavation in Persian Gulf

A team of U.S. and Iranian archaeologists have recently commenced a series of underwater excavations to identify the ruins of the historical port of Siraf in the Persian Gulf.

With a about an 1100-year-old history, Siraf is located in the northwestern part of Bushehr Province in southern Iran.

At one time, the port had been one of the major centers for marketing pearls and silk in the region, but it was gradually submerged over the centuries, Iranian Center for Archaeological Research (ICAR) Director Mahmud Mireskandari told the Persian service of ISNA on Monday.

The team led by Iranian archaeologist Hossein Tofiqian and U.S.-based Iranian expert Sorna Khakzad have been engaged in their studies since July 16.

"The U.S. archaeologists have brought special equipment necessary for underwater excavation as we do not have such gear in Iran," Mireskandari said.

Well here is a refreshing story about US/Iranian relations instead of the usual over the top Gloom and Doom being spewed by all sides. Cooperation instead of confrontation. In any case, it'll be interesting to see what they come up with and reveal which hopefully will shed more light on a very interesting period in history of the region in question.

Thought?

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Good to hear about collaboration instead of confrontation for a change.

It will be interesting to see what may have been left behind at the site from an interesting period.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Who would have guessed?But these are highly educated men who place knowledge and discovery ahead of crazy politics.Good for them.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

A positive story about the US and Iran??

omg!
s&f!

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
The guy will be one of the first ones grabbed and accused of espionage once a little more shtf.
Iranians are never ones to pass up on a good ole fashioned hostage situation.
I'm all for the advancements of the sciences but the American is certainly taking a risk in the current climate.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I know huh. If this thread had more Gloom and Doom it would be rockin' off the charts but that whole peaceful cooperation thing just doesnt make the charts.

Maybe I should have tossed in something controversial about Israel or Zionists?

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Its good to hear they are doing something positive and together.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by beezzer

I know huh. If this thread had more Gloom and Doom it would be rockin' off the charts but that whole peaceful cooperation thing just doesnt make the charts.

Maybe I should have tossed in something controversial about Israel or Zionists?

Oh wait.

There will be haters saying the US is taking advantage of the Iranians.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

You....?!? You of all people did something upbeat and positive concerning Iran?!? I am shocked!!!!

S&F... great story...

Now... for the angle..... I am waiting.... ever so patiently.....

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

The US is after their secret submerged UFO base and Tech

Engineer Behind Iranian Saucer Technology Comes Forward

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by beezzer

The US is after their secret submerged UFO base and Tech

Engineer Behind Iranian Saucer Technology Comes Forward

Now you've got an angle the masses can flock to.

More interesting is the omitted name of the American so someone could research him and what tech he will bring that Iran does not possess. Is it banned under the current sanctions? Is it a transfer of tech for other purposes? Dual use perhaps?
Maybe this is all cloak and dagger. You may be onto something big here, hahahaha. Maybe the next Iran Contra.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

You damned Americans - helping those Iranians - I tell you, no good will come of this!

As far as I'm aware there are quite a few joint archealogical excavations going on throughout the Middle East - shame they don't get the positive publicity that they deserve.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Now, for me personally, this is one to get really excited about. I have long been convinced that some of the Euphrates and Tigris civilisations were seeded first by pearl traders from the East. The further they delve into the submerged areas, the greater the chances, in my opinion, of them finding evidence of more transient trading settlements, that served as precursors to those further inland that were contemporary to those found in South-East Anatolia.

Obviously, one step at a time, but for me, this is a definate step in the right direction.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Biliverdin

Now, for me personally, this is one to get really excited about. I have long been convinced that some of the Euphrates and Tigris civilisations were seeded first by pearl traders from the East. The further they delve into the submerged areas, the greater the chances, in my opinion, of them finding evidence of more transient trading settlements, that served as precursors to those further inland that were contemporary to those found in South-East Anatolia.

Obviously, one step at a time, but for me, this is a definate step in the right direction.

A simple reason why eastern trade showed up on their shores, could be that they originally migrated from there in the first place. Out of Africa DNA trails go in the opposite direction you are proposing. When the settlers went West in the US, they brought their furs back east to sell to a market they knew existed. Using that as a modern example, I think you can see the point.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinfoilTP
A simple reason why eastern trade showed up on their shores, could be that they originally migrated from there in the first place. Out of Africa DNA trails go in the opposite direction you are proposing. When the settlers went West in the US, they brought their furs back east to sell to a market they knew existed. Using that as a modern example, I think you can see the point.

That is, to all intents and purposes, my theory. Or partly at least. However, I also feel that there is some likelihood, settlements were seeded in locations that were known, through exploitation of such resources as pearls, by the peoples who had survived the submergence of the Sunda peninsula and followed known routes out of Dodge to make more permanent settlements where they had once only had seasonal ones. It would explain a lot, in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

I have mixed feelings on this one. First it's great that were trying to help uncover the worlds history. I hope that this eases some of the tension. But Seems odd to be helping these people. I hope that guy stays safe.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Hello?

Doom and Gloom here, and isn't that near Bushehr?

So I'm and thinking perfect opportunity for Vevak to take some hostages.

The evil zionist's cause the ancient site to flood, hell they are responsible for all the global warming/cooling.

edit on 30-7-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Discovery is always fun!!
Huge trading port a long time ago.
www.presstv.ir...

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
All the while they are secretly spies working on behalf of the government to gain any information.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

You damned Americans - helping those Iranians - I tell you, no good will come of this!

Scripted perfectly from the Zionist state of Israel.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join