It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soldiers fill empty Olympic VIP seats as storm grows

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

I don't want to see someone lose and talk about how happy they are that their competitor had a great day, I want to see them kick over some chairs and choke their coach for making them pick a terrible routine, LOL!

that could be one of the funniest things i've read on here, you had me dying
It really sad though that these seats aren't being taken. Give them to the general public if the VIPs dont want them. the soldiers looked bored out of their minds

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Soulreaper54

After watching the men's gymnastics last night, maybe I should have said watching the coach choke the competitors for letting a little mistake snowball into a cascade of mental distraction! Man that team came apart at the seams with let down on top of let down. Total lack of mental focus.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Qumulys
Australia's Olympics struggled with it's attendance at times too. They were giving away tickets in the end, also bussing in students from schools (which was a good thing) to try and fill up the emptiness. Obviously nothing was learnt...

People just can't afford these days to take days off work any more (regular joe blow), let alone fly to London to sit around next to noisy sweaty peoples, pay $30 for an ice-cream for the kids, and barely see anything. Seem's so much bother when a 50" in the lounge with 3D has it all, hi-def, surround sound, ass close-ups in slow-mo (wife whacking hubby on back of head for oggling too long etc.).

edit on 30-7-2012 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

This is the one of the only post here that actually made some logical sense.

People just don't have the money, nor care to watch an event they can see better from their own TV sets.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Sorry, but that is NOT the reason for the empty seats. If you had followed the story more closely, you would know that some seats remain empty mostly during the morning sessions of endless swimming heats, which don't interest the officials and executives whose organisations and companies bought these quota tickets. As finals approach, those seats soon get taken up. These organisations have now agreed to sell back the tickets they won't use for the earlier stages of various sports where the problem exists, and the returned tickets are now being re-sold on the internet by the British Olympic organising body.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81

Soldiers fill empty Olympic VIP seats as storm grows

www.cnn.com

British soldiers will be asked to act as temporary placeholders in premium seating at Olympic events, as organizers attempt to avoid the spectacle of empty seats at venues.
(visit the link for the full news article)

I'm confused by the OP...what storm is growing?

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by dogstar23

Rain? Maybe a metaphor for the pissed off athletes?

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Happens every olympics - got it.

But this seems to be VIP seating specifically.

Wonder why VIPs are not attending?

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by micpsi

My post was pointing out the fact that ever single Olympics has this same complaint - lot's of empty seats. Making this out to somehow be a failing of the London Olympics is just ignorant. Google "Olympics + empty seats + (year)" and you'll see plenty of past headlines complaining of all the empty stadium seats. Maybe it's the fault of the IOC for not using the seats they are given, but doesn't change the fact that every single Olympics has this same issue.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Do these VIP's know something we don't? I'm guess that many of these "VIPs" are high up in secret shady orders.

Oh, and the reason their in uniform is because their superiors told them they had to be.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
London is in damage control to cover this up the best they can
just check the picture from the link

LONDON IS EMPTY like a ghost town

The overhyped Olympics: London visitor levels fall by two-thirds over fears of traffic chaos and high prices in massive blow to recession-hit economy

Games have pulled 100,000 foreign tourists into the capital, much lower than the 300,000 expected in a typical summer
Leading London attractions see visitor numbers fall by 35 per cent
Hotel bookings in London 'very substantially down'

Businesses near sailing venues in Weymouth and Portland say this year's summer tourist season is the worst in half a century

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
It's too much about advertising and fancy shows then ti's about the athletes. They just overdo and the focus is lost. Too much greed and stupidity. This is why government's overspend.
edit on 31-7-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Wow those pictures really speak for themselves, London looks pretty much empty. I feel bad for the smaller businesses that are probably use to doing good during the summer. This must be hitting them hard. It the comments under the pictures someone said that hotels were doubling and tripiling their rates. I'm guessing its just too exspensive for people to do.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by GBP/JPY

That's about the time of year the Plaedian meteor shower happens, isn't it?

Thought it was the Leonids, but I'm not splitting hairs with ya., I always look forward to them around my birthday.

Anyway, I'm just guessing here, but I bet there weren't many empty seats at 'There are semi-naked women playing beach volleyball glistening like wet otters' event that needed to be filled.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
so they gave out a bunch of free things and people take them for granted and dont use them - sounds like a normal situation.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth

Originally posted by Qumulys
Australia's Olympics struggled with it's attendance at times too. They were giving away tickets in the end, also bussing in students from schools (which was a good thing) to try and fill up the emptiness. Obviously nothing was learnt...

People just can't afford these days to take days off work any more (regular joe blow), let alone fly to London to sit around next to noisy sweaty peoples, pay $30 for an ice-cream for the kids, and barely see anything. Seem's so much bother when a 50" in the lounge with 3D has it all, hi-def, surround sound, ass close-ups in slow-mo (wife whacking hubby on back of head for oggling too long etc.).

edit on 30-7-2012 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

This is the one of the only post here that actually made some logical sense.

People just don't have the money, nor care to watch an event they can see better from their own TV sets.

This is so true - most attendees are those with some kind of vested interest - they're way into competing in the sport themselves, or its a friend/relative. Olympic events are horribly boring. Many people, myself included, can't even stand watching more than a few minutes on TV, and that's where youkre mostly just getting clips of the "action." if I was given free airfare, hotel, and VIP tickets to Olympic events, I would fly to London and go sightseeing and skip the games entirely.

I was relieved Chicago didn't get the Olympics because all it would mean for me was more traffic and an influx in foreign virus strains.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
The soldiers are filling the seats before, after and between performing security duties.

When you get a lunchbreak at work do you change into casual clothes for that period, or do you remain in the clothes you've worn to work that day? I'm guessing it's the latter. Does that make you "lazy"?

Originally posted by Ben81

Is it me or the soldiers look totaly bored to death
i think they are not there because they want to
but because they have been ordered to fill the seats
not very substle in uniform .. to lazy to wear civilians clothes ?

edit on 31-7-2012 by Motorhead because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-7-2012 by Motorhead because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Get real. Nobody I know has an idea that ATS exists! Let's face it, nothing said on this site is going to change anything. It's just a forum for some theorists to discuss things.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

If you are on duty, you have to wear your uniform it seems. I am surprised too at the why of the empty seats. Xbox more fun? Tickets too expensive?

Originally posted by TKDRL
My only hope is that all those empty seats went to scalpers, and they are now eating them losses up big time. Hate scalpers.....

Olympia aint the champions league. I doubt there was ever money to be made for scalpers.
edit on 31-7-2012 by Cassius666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

There's nothing to really be afraid at it. It's just had its time. Not everyone is interested in the Olympics. I know this is the first year I haven't even turned on the TV for it.

They gain interest some years, loose it in others. Something about London + Olympics just makes me not care. China on the other hand, you know they're going to be big. Because it's China! US? Maybe something. Hell even Germany you know will be interesting, because it's Germany! England?.......Eh....

The fact that they are soldiers doesn't really matter to me. Practically all the Chinese performers were. There's no reason being a soldier should matter.
edit on 31-7-2012 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join