It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soldiers fill empty Olympic VIP seats as storm grows

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by capone1

Originally posted by yourmaker
Only the rich can afford to go to the games. With a decline in the economy is it any wonder??

You're not going to have the Middle Class from the world over coming in droves when they can't afford it.
Even Londoners close enough can't afford it.

False. I know people who have been saving for the last 4 years in hopes to attend the 2012 games. Rich? No. Middle class? Hardly. Hard working? Definitely.

I know several people who are at, or going to the Olympics, they are also watching events that actually quite bewildered me.

They are all just as you have described above, star for you.
edit on 30-7-2012 by MrRobertson because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by GBP/JPY

That's about the time of year the Plaedian meteor shower happens, isn't it?

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by Ben81

Soldiers and students to fill seats that family including parents of the competitors can't obtain!

How bloody disgusting!

Ahem, hate to burst yours (and everyone else's bubble) but the empty seats we're seeing are part of the allocation made to IOC officials and competitors. If their empty, it isn't the fault of London, but just that the IOC and the "Olympic Family" can't be bothered to show each other a little respect and turn up.

I'm actually glad they are dishing out the tickets to soldiers. They should give a 30 min window and if the seats aren't filled, they should just hand them out for a £1 to anyone who wants one.

THIS...

It has nothing to do with people not being able to afford tickets or boycotting the games. As for the BS posted earlier about the games only being as popular as the TPTB want them to be is complete nonsense. Some people just happen to like sport.
As of today 3000 tickets are now available due to some of the reserved tickets of the Olympic family being returned.
Deny Ignorance my arse.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

All of these venues do this, they are called seat fillers, I've done it before a number of times when the wife wanted to go to some allegedly big event. The Juno's, the Grammy's, the Gemini's, CCMA's, TV shows, etc. They do this to make their event seem more important than it actually is, because it really isn't very important. They want to try and keep the idolatry of fame mindset going on with the right hand so that people are distracted from how badly they are being screwed by the left hand.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by bobs_uruncle
reply to post by Ben81

All of these venues do this, they are called seat fillers, I've done it before a number of times when the wife wanted to go to some allegedly big event. The Juno's, the Grammy's, the Gemini's, CCMA's, TV shows, etc. They do this to make their event seem more important than it actually is, because it really isn't very important. They want to try and keep the idolatry of fame mindset going on with the right hand so that people are distracted from how badly they are being screwed by the left hand.

Cheers - Dave

It is not lack of interest. The seats were alicated to THE OLYMPIC FAMILY and they didn't show up. Use Google..
What is wrong with you people?

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Gee, maybe they went underground.

Maybe they are releasing their virus's and even in their odd GMO mosquito's Ive noticed this year.

Maybe we need to wake up and get some action in arresting them.

Be Love and raise frequency above whatever odd things may be planned or in the works.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Unity... I'm never sure if you're just trollin or dead serious. If you're trollin you're one of the best.

Idk guys, I know a lot of people on this site don't appreciate sport but I do. I get excited for the olympics everytime they come around. I find myself watching some events I'd never watch. I think they are ruining it a bit with all their rules or who and who cannot compete but those have always been strange. It's still fun to watch though. Sure there's the corporate side to it but that's pretty much every sport nowadays. Take out the beauracratic corporate influence, in all sports, and I'll be all the more happier.

It'd be great to go back to the days when athletes were heroes not media icon divas. Of course I've never seen those days so I can only dream.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
you mean women's badminton tickets aren't flying out of ticketmaster faster than the speed of sound.

i'm shocked.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

probably more like the speed of smell. or just as fast as curling tickets at the winter olympics

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Qumulys
Australia's Olympics struggled with it's attendance at times too. They were giving away tickets in the end, also bussing in students from schools (which was a good thing) to try and fill up the emptiness. Obviously nothing was learnt...

People just can't afford these days to take days off work any more (regular joe blow), let alone fly to London to sit around next to noisy sweaty peoples, pay $30 for an ice-cream for the kids, and barely see anything. Seem's so much bother when a 50" in the lounge with 3D has it all, hi-def, surround sound, ass close-ups in slow-mo (wife whacking hubby on back of head for oggling too long etc.).

edit on 30-7-2012 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

You forgot to mention the exhorbitant ticket prices for these events. I will never play into all the Olympic hoopla, which is similar to any spectator sport exposed "ad nauseam" by the media. Peons such as I. are treated as second-class people when it comes to purchasing tickets for any kind of venue offered. I will never "eat someone elses scraps" per say. I will continue to refuse any form of entertainment that supports this approach. But hey...that's just me!

With no ads, who would pay for the media? The good fairy? ~Samuel Thurm

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Hmmm, a CNN story about the Olympics is what we consider 'alternative'?

I see.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147
The Olympic Games only exists today in order to advertise and sell McDonald's, Coca-Cola, and a hundred other corporate sponsors...

It's a sham.

In my opinion, the Games should be a much smaller affair, sponsored appropriately, and only open to amateur athletes.

Yes there REALLY was a time when the Olympics was purely amateur. Jim Thorpe was stripped of his Olympic medals in 1913 for participating in professional sports. I also remember it being that way in the 1960's, yet by the 1970's it was well known that eastern bloc countries had professionals within....yet we just didn't care. Now it's just understood to be as such for many competitors.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
Winter games, summer games, every two years there's another mass media hoopla over these things. It's over-saturated and boring.

I don't see how this ties into anything. The security was bad, so they asked their special forces to help, it was a slow rainy day, so they sat down in an empty area of an event...

Have any proof the Games have EVER been sold out for each and every sport? keep in mind we have more events than we use to. I don't see how this is a big deal.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
The Olympics are boring...

That is why the seats are empty.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
The Olympics are boring...

That is why the seats are empty.

While the olympics may be boring, the article isnt saying what OP is claiming.People want seats. These were just ones reserved for specific groups, like journalists, advertisers, etc. Reserving extra seating for these types of groups is common, and reserving extra, and then selling off the tickets if they dont all get used is common at concerts, sports event, etc.

As soon as they put these seats back up for sale, they sold out more or less immediately.

Of course, this has been pointed out several times, and yet people will continue on with their 'the olympics arent popular' narrative that isnt actually supported by the OPs article at all.

While thousands of fans have missed out on tickets, seats in the accredited "Olympic family" areas -- reserved for groups including officials, sports federations, athletes, journalists and sponsors -- have remained empty at some venues.

"We talked to the International Federations yesterday, we were able to put back into the pot for sale around 3,000 tickets last night. They have all been sold," Jackie Brock-Doyle, the organizing committee's director of communications, told reporters Monday.

edit on 30-7-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Speaking in general terms, this story matters to me because it's a sign of real decline.

Until fairly recently, the International Olympic Games stood in a category all their own as events go. Certainly more than entertainment, more than the sum of the individual games and at least once where the nations could all come together. This stuff meant something when I was growing up and the energy and excitement I recall of the 1984 games is one of my strongest childhood memories.

Heck, nations even used to care, among the population I mean, about how their people were doing against others in the World's biggest 'fight' without violence. That made it special as much as anything. Even nations which hated each other the rest of the time ALMOST always put it aside for this.

Now it's commercial, corrupt and people barely even care to watch at all. Some days really suck to look around and realize how different the world I live in now is from the one which existed not THAT long ago.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by CallYourBluff

Originally posted by bobs_uruncle
reply to post by Ben81

Cheers - Dave

It is not lack of interest. The seats were alicated to THE OLYMPIC FAMILY and they didn't show up. Use Google..
What is wrong with you people?

Did I say "lack of interest?" I don't think so, so if you are going to state a reason as being mine in a post, I suggest you read the post. What I said was "They do this to make their event seem more important than it actually is, because it really isn't very important. They want to try and keep the idolatry of fame mindset going on with the right hand so that people are distracted from how badly they are being screwed by the left hand."

And Btw, WhoTF is the Olympic Family? Did you actually mean to say the families of the Olympic competitors?

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Check Out The Crowd Reaction Here - It Puts The Olympics To Shame

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Their bored to death because the Olympic are boring.

Plus, the seats are empty because people are afraid of the alien invasion.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
So, the seats in question have all been sold, but you all are still arguing that this is evidence that no one cares about the olympics?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join