It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York Nanny Bloomberg now hiding baby formula!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by rootbranch2012
Breastfeeding is so much better both for baby and for mother. Too many lazy women don't want to bother. It's a bit radical, better to go with a massive campaign on the merits of breastfeeding before hiding the powder.

reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

I agree but it is not my decision or yours ... it is the parents choice .... Do you really think that the government should be making that choice for a parent?

if we use this as a precedence that the government can mandate breast feeding then you have opened the door to everything we as adults do! If you want to send your child to a Christian school to learn that dinosaurs and man ran around together ... then that is your right to even though I disagree with it...

should a sexually active woman be allowed alcohol since she could become pregnant at any time? I am surprised Nanny Bloomers missed that one!

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I haven't read through the thread yet, which I normally do before I make a comment, but I just had to comment here.

I'm bothered by the message we send to pregnant women and new mothers that they absolutely must breastfeed or else. Let me explain:

I had my first son in 1998. Of COURSE I would only breastfeed! That's what "good mothers" do. No formula would cross my baby's lips.

Then, when my son was born 5 weeks early, and had trouble latching on, I still tried and tried and tried to breastfeed. He cried pretty much nonstop for 10 days.

I called my pediatrician in tears, and the nurse told me to give him some formula. I felt like a failure. The first weeks of my son's life were pretty much spent with me feeling like a failure rather than enjoying my newborn son.

With my second son, born 18 months after the first, I had a different experience. He was a champion nurser, and I realized....I didn't like the physical sensation of nursing him. And I wanted to be able to eat or drink things (such as onions, coffee, whatever!) without worrying about how that would affect him. So he had formula, too. Luckily, I lost the guilt and was able to enjoy every minute with him.

Now, older and hopefully wiser, my advice to new moms is that it is not the end of the world to feed them formula. We should respect women's choices...whether they choose to breastfeed or not. It makes me really angry that Nanny Bloomberg thinks he or the government should tell new moms how to feed their own babies.

By the way...both of my boys have been healthy, and both are in the gifted program. I didn't "ruin" them (their immune system or their brain) by giving them formula.

I think a happy, relaxed mom giving her baby formula is 10 times better for the baby than a stressed out mom trying to make breastfeeding work for her.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Here is a press release from NYC. www.nyc.gov...

By joining this voluntary initiative for NYC maternity hospitals to support mother’s decision to breastfeed participating hospitals have agreed to:

Enforce the NYS hospital regulation to not supplement breastfeeding infants with formula feeding unless medically indicated and documented on the infant’s medical chart;

Restrict access to infant formula by hospital staff, tracking infant formula distribution and sharing data on formula distribution with the Health Department;

Discontinue the distribution of promotional or free infant formula;

and Prohibit the display and distribution of infant formula promotional materials in any hospital location.

This press release indicates a lack of support for mothers who prefer to use formula......

once again government has lost sight of individual liberty when trying to correct what they see as a problem...

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I've now read all the way through the thread, as well as the NY Latch On page (or whatever it's called) and I want to add that Bloomberg has NO business asking hospitals to stop giving out the free formula samples to new parents.

As I already explained, I had no plans to use formula, but I took home the free samples and stuck them in the closet. I sure was glad that I had them when 10 days later I decided to try formula and see how my son would do on it. Thank goodness it stopped the crying and he could finally eat and then sleep.

I firmly believe that if a woman is committed to breastfeeding, and both the new mom and the baby take to it, then you could give them a formula-fountain in the kitchen and it would remain unused. It's not like the free samples are going to attack your baby.

I do agree with one thing I read on the NY webpage, and that is that nurses are not allowed to "sneak" formula to a baby without the mom's permission.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
www.nyc.gov...

New York Codes Rules and Regulations (NYCRR) Title 10 – part 405.21, stipulates the following:
a. Restriction of the newborn's supplemental feedings to those indicated by the medical condition of the newborn or of the mother;

A hospital cannot receive Baby-Friendly Hospital designation if it receives free formula. Although typically a last administrative hurdle for hospitals seeking Baby-Friendly designation, devising a process not to accept free infant formula can be challenging and it’s good to start early[/exreply to post by Blackmarketeer

There is more going on with this, it is a form of control as usual....read this full pdf and the regulations about formula feeding.....there should NOT be regulations for formula feeding,

It is no one's business whether a mother breasts feeds or not and she shouldn't be forced either way! And restricting her access to formula should be illegal.

These same wackos who say a woman should be forced to have a child suck on her breast are the same one's who say a woman shouldn't be forced to carry a child in her womb.....they think like children having a temper tantrum.

And Emperor Bloomy who had the city council extend his reign needs to GO!

edit on 30-7-2012 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

This printed out wrong but anyway....there it is...please read.
edit on 30-7-2012 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeantherapy

Originally posted by Cabalis

I just find it funny that Bloomberg supports abortion rights but then wants to push women into breast feeding. Hopefully people will wake up and smell the hypocrisy in time.

It sounds like he wants fewer humans but healthier, higher quality humans. I also want that for the Earth, and I don't see necessarily why these conflict.

Soooo are you proposing eugenics with a side dish of steamed population control?
edit on 7/30/2012 by Cabalis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Now wait just a gol-durn minute here...
Mothers are allowed to give raw milk to babies but farmers are put in jail for selling raw milk to customers?
Is it me or is it just crazy?

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Bloomerberg is scum. The man is absolute filth.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
formula is subpar to breastmilk because the active proteins and enzymes in it aren't killed off in the pasteurization process. A mother with a crappy diet is sure to have issues with supplying her child with milk, and if she can supply her child with milk then while the nutrients she's providing may not be top quality, they are surely better than the synthesized ones added to formula.

Just like everybody knows somebody who smoked while pregnant and had a fine baby, everybody had or knows somebody who had a baby who turned out fine with formula. The problem is on a much larger scale than just your individual experience. Formula is a godsend for the women who truly can't breastfeed (which is a much smaller percentage than many want to admit....otherwise humanity would have gone extinct a long time ago). There are also milk banks - or individuals who over produce milk. These people are over generous and more than willing to share their abundance. But people are too lazy to pursue these options, because hospitals and corporations hand out formula.

This ideally ensures that women are given the proper information and hopefully GOOD support (there are a heck of a lot of crappy lactation consultants, and a lot of other people who discourage nursing at the slightest trouble).

I think it's good as long as it's not militant. Hiding the formula is not akin to banning the formula.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nite_wing
Now wait just a gol-durn minute here...
Mothers are allowed to give raw milk to babies but farmers are put in jail for selling raw milk to customers?
Is it me or is it just crazy?

Well, pasteurizing it at the tap is a tricky endeavor!

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Sounds to me like a way to ensure the chemicals in mom end up in the baby. Formula is too regulated to get the chemicals in to without raising eyebrows, so why not dose mom, then force mom to breastfeed.

I dont have evidence for this, just a thought... maybe i need a break from ATS lol

DC

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I see no problem with this. Why be so dependant upon science and technology to survive and thrive if you don't have to?

Yes, some mother's milk does not come in, and there is a legitimate reason to use formula.

However, most women can breast feed. This is how humans and other mammals have survived for years. We need to become more self sufficient. I think this is a positive. We need to rely on ourselves in this economy.

No family will starve to death with a breast feeding mother in the house.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
As much as I hate Bloomberg, I like the idea of counseling mothers about why they should not use formula. Babies need that colostrum the first few weeks. The can use pumps and bottle feed...but it should be mothers' milk.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

I had my baby back in 1975,breast feeding was not encouraged then.
I wanted to breast feed at first but I was afraid that my large breasts
would suffocate my baby.
Breast feeding or bottle feeding should be a choice the woman makes,
bottomline...it is her baby not theirs!
I wonder what the formula companies have to say about this decision?

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
fattening up your kids like turkeys with hormone filled baby formulas might not be the greatest idea.

when you're kid is 6 months old, weighs 67 pounds and can bench press his body weight, mayor bloomberg might be right and have good intentions but it's a typical half-measure that politicians like to come up with.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I am pro choice on this, not pro choice as long as you chose what I want you to. Taking options away and talking down to people will not open communication and not be productive for the babies.

Creating a stressed out mother for what seems to me to be a loss prevention thing turned with a political spin is unacceptable.

Let me give you a little back ground ground on me.

I am the mother of 5 children. I breastfed all five of my children. No formula passed their lips. I, also studied to be a nurse and worked in a major Children's hospital for 5 years. I nursed and pumped when I went back to work.

There are many reason's a mother might not breastfeed, again, it is her choice. Physical, emotional, cultural, med reasons, and just plain don't want to. In my mind, all are acceptable. Physical ability can be hindered by anything emotional, cultural, meds and by feeling uncomfortable.

Lactation consultants tend to be militant and horrible. Yes, Yes they are. I've seen it many times and experienced it. They scare and bully mothers and make them feel horrible at a time when they should be encouraged. A stressed out mother is not a good choice for a child.

They tell them if you give your baby a bottle they will never want you. Bull*&^t. I've seen children with cleft palates that have to use special nursers get their lip and palates repaired and latch on, (sometimes yes, sometimes no). They tell you your child will be sick and have ADD if you don't nurse them.

Then they go on and on about how your diet needs to be limited. Nope, I've eaten spicy foods, drank coffee (not a lot), and ate gaseous foods. It can be something you'all figure out as you go.

They tell you breastfeeding only hurts if your doing it wrong. Nope, it can hurt for about the first 2 weeks or so.

There are, also, other weird feelings that can freak a person out.

If your on meds. talk to a true pharmacist (one of the most undervalued medical professions.) They are not in the market to push drugs, they don't get visited by drug company reps asking (bribing) them to prescribe their goods. But just the same, they know all the ins, outs and every single reason you should, or shouldn't take something.

So what if you want to pump and give a feed your baby milk from a bottle? So what if you want to give your baby formula? There are other non-"formula" and non breast milk ways to feed a newborn( Example-goats milk, I've seen this in the Amish when I worked at the hospital and it used to be used in the hospital many years ago. I love talking with old nurses).

What should be more important than anything is that your child is developing at a steady rate and reaching it's milestones and that that child has loving caring parents.

On a side note: I took all the freebees they gave, kept some like the bags and car items and gave the rest away. Someone benefited from them. Formula is expensive.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Can't someone give the mayor something to do? He seems bored.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by lynn112
reply to post by jeantherapy

Sorry, but what you want doesn't matter. The fact is that there are many times when a mother can not safely breastfeed her child or makes the choice not to, neither of these are anyones business. Regardless of the mom's reason, Bloomberg should spend his time focusing on the real issues that face the residents of NY City rather than these random nanny laws he seems to pull out of his backside.

Are the opinions of all other humans who share my dream worthless as well? To live in a world where nobody is poisoning your food to make a buck? Where there is no such thing as an 'obesity epidemic'? Where women and children can safely walk the streets in any neighborhood at any hour? Where parents value the health and well being of their offspring, and only have as many as they can care for? And where the future of the Earth as a living space is viewed as something sacred? I'm sorry, but what I want does matter, for many other people want the very same thing. I'm not just a keyboard critic either, I am out there everyday cleaning up litter, feeding hungry children, etc, etc.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeantherapy

I just find it funny that Bloomberg supports abortion rights but then wants to push women into breast feeding. Hopefully people will wake up and smell the hypocrisy in time.

It sounds like he wants fewer humans but healthier, higher quality humans. I also want that for the Earth, and I don't see necessarily why these conflict.

Soooo are you proposing eugenics with a side dish of steamed population control?
edit on 7/30/2012 by Cabalis because: (no reason given)

I want people to voluntarily stop breeding as I have, using only their own powers of cognition and reasoning to make this choice. You can't force that on a person any more than you can cram Jesus down their throat and expect them to like the taste. I said I wanted those things, I never proposed a eugenics plan.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by fictitious
I see no problem with this. Why be so dependant upon science and technology to survive and thrive if you don't have to?

Yes, some mother's milk does not come in, and there is a legitimate reason to use formula.

However, most women can breast feed. This is how humans and other mammals have survived for years. We need to become more self sufficient. I think this is a positive. We need to rely on ourselves in this economy.

No family will starve to death with a breast feeding mother in the house.

Thank you, this is exactly the point I feel most of the reasonable folks here are trying to make or support. We go along just fine one way for thousands of years and then life has to change because of a "breakthrough" made by some biochemist? Any mother that can breastfeed should, any that just cannot shouldn't, but don't be choose formula because you are lazy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join