It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'New' giant ape found in DR Congo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Mystery

The discovery has baffled scientists.

There are three controversial possibilities to explain the origin of the mystery apes:

They are a new species of ape

They are giant chimpanzees, much larger than any so far recorded, but behave like gorillas

They could be hybrids, the product of gorillas mating with chimpanzees
Full Story

Well it seems just as humans think they have discoverd everything a new species of ape is discoverd
. Im no greene but how many species have we wiped out before we discoverd them?
Could an ape kill a lion? or are the villagers passing on old storyies?

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Weird, I googled "new giant ape" and found this:

USA Today Article

There must be more info, if it's been that long..

OK, here is a link, with a pic..
news.nationalgeographic.com...

[edit on 10-10-2004 by spacedoubt]

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 05:33 AM
link   
The part that says,
"She describes her encounter with them: "Four suddenly came rushing out of the bush towards me," she told New Scientist.

"If this had been a bluff charge, they would have been screaming to intimidate us. These guys were quiet. And they were huge. They were coming in for the kill. I was directly in front of them, and as soon as they saw my face, they stopped and disappeared."
is highly interesting IMHO.Those types of tactics are very similar to covert millitary ops.Almost as if they stumbled upon something they didnt expect.Similar to our own spec ops units if they thought they where on the trail of an enemy only to confront a child or non combantant.They simply dissolve away after the mistake is noticed.Also the fact that they where in a pack of 4, all going in silence.Very cool though.

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordBaskettIV

is highly interesting IMHO.Those types of tactics are very similar to covert millitary ops.

SAS are wearing ape suits in the field now?

It's hardly that interesting or unique. If you and three friends were walking in the woods and came across a large lifeform that you have never seen before, wouldn't you run away? It's quite natural to retreat from something which may be a threat and it doesn't take a large brain to trigger this.
A human being can scatter a whole family of mountain gorillas merely by walking up to them. It's a risk - there has been an instance where one guy literally lost his head when he ran up to a browsing family. But in general, primates will retreat when confronted by something strange.

The fact that this incident occured in a part of the world where white faces are an oddity probably contributed to the halt of the attack.

What would be interesting is to research the comparison between these new primates and those already known. Chimpanzees are known to be able to use tools and are regarded as the cleverest of apes after man. It would be quite something if these animals were up in the league with chimps in the brain stakes - unfortunately the retreat proves nothing.

The rumours of lion killing are interesting though. It opens the question as to how they hunt. There does seem to be a comparison with chimps, as they also stalk their prey silently.

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 02:49 PM
link   
This is now the FOURTH thread on this topic on the site. The Original was posted days ago with a link to an .au website, the other links all point to the BBC article of the 10th. Please learn to use the SEARCH FUNCTION.

posted on Oct, 10 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Gorillas are more intelligent than chimpanzees, but chimpanzees like to show off, so they repeat more of what they see. Gorillas can learn how to speak by gestures like if they were mute people.

Chimpanzees are more violent than gorillas and many times they attack, kill and eat other animals, specially baboons.

Also this animal looks more like a chimpanzee than a gorilla, at least to me, and I am not an expert in these things.

Edit:

I know what it is, its a chimpanzila.

[Edited on 10/10/2004 by ArMaP]

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 05:00 PM
link   
This may not be relevant but I saw a 8' 300lbs plus BIGFOOT running upright in north America. So not all the species have been found. There is plenty of evidence documenting this.

[edit on 14-10-2004 by IXRAZORXI321]

posted on Oct, 14 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Up to two metres tall (6.5ft)

Wow, that's amazing and tall !

Good find.

Deep

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chuck Stevenson
This is now the FOURTH thread on this topic on the site. The Original was posted days ago with a link to an .au website, the other links all point to the BBC article of the 10th. Please learn to use the SEARCH FUNCTION.

You sad bastard!

You sound like you have been here for several years, yet your post score/count has yet to reach 200.

I haven't seen any other threads on this subject so I am very glad this thread has been posted or I would still be ignorant about this great new find.

who

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   
triplesod said it, although it gets old when there are numerous posts about the same topic, there is no need to get upset or resort to name calling, sounds sort of childish. Maybe you should breathe deeply and calm down, this is a message board, not rocket science.

top topics

join