It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nun loses bid for a 7.38m illuminated cross to be erected in her garden. Application 666 denied.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Da Vinci Code protest nun loses bid for 7.38m illuminated cross in North Hykeham, Lincolnshire.

Sister Mary said the cross would have been a scaled down version of the 738m Glorious Cross of Dozulé in France. She wanted it to be a beacon for people to come to her garden to pray. But the planning application, number 666, was rejected by the council who said: "The proposed development would, by virtue of its height in comparison with surrounding residential properties and its illumination, represent an inappropriate and intrusive feature within this wholly residential area."

Link

She believed God wanted her to have the "Cross of Love" at her home in North Hykeham, Lincolnshire.
My question is what would you think to this being in your street, Every time you looked out of the window all you could see is a huge illuminated cross, I can honestly say that it would not appeal to me at all.

I wander why she wanted it to be so big and illuminated, If she had a cross of say about 4-5 feet and not illuminated i am sure that the residents of North Hykeham would not have been so against it.

The 68-year-old has said she is disappointed but has no plans to fight the decision: 'You can't fight the council. I think the Devil is a bit easier really.

Link
edit on 30-7-2012 by ladylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ladylove

Application number 666. If true, ironic!

Sadly, I see it as true. The local Buddhist temple has Buddhas head all over the show, the local Mosque has crescent moons on the spire.. but some whacky nun can't get a cross?

Please someone tell me it was not really because it was illuminated, so at night reminded people of....

... you know

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Now i do not think that it would be a bad idea if the cross was placed in the right place, In a church ground maybe, But i really do think the idea of placing it in her back garden is ludicrous.

I must admit she seem's like quite a happy go lucky fun kind of nun though

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

Application 666, yes, Very ironic indeed...

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
If you look how tiny her garden in and how cramped together our houses generally are in British towns, it's obvious she was going to be denied her cross. I wouldn't fancy that looming over my back garden and blinding me every night through the curtains.

Couldn't put seed out for the birds at night without the bloody power of Christ compelling ya!
edit on 30-7-2012 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

Madness, I can't help but think it was all an attention thing for her.

I just found it quite amusing to be honest, Seriously, I think that everything i did i would feel guilty about with that looming over me, And i'm not religious at all haha

You can imagine the next new's article "Nun announces that when her cross flashes its light's, God is telling her someone is sinning!", Oh my!!

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Not in a suburban street in a backyard, no. What would you say to your mates over for a barbeque. What if you wanted to make love on the back lawn! It would put you right off your game.

What would have been wrong with a 1 meter cross. Why that tall.

Conversion by illumination!

P

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Wonder if she goes nuts at Christmas too..
I can just imagine her having a huge flashing nativity with a braying donkey and silent night blaring out from the end of September.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   

I didn't think of that! Thats a good time of the year to get away with it as well

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

That's why i think it's an attention thing, Probably a great way to announce that a Nun is living in the neighborhood or something along those line's. "Hi everyone, I am a NUN!"

Well Satan obviously did not agree, With it being application 666......

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Great for some residents with unruly children/teenager's though i am sure! Even husbands in some cases haha

"I swear if you misbehave one more time you will be paying a visit to Sister Mary Michael's!!"

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ladylove

I can see how an enormous glowing anything could cause some issues in a neighborhood. If she just wanted a large cross, that shouldn't be a problem but if it glows like a high powered beam then that could be hard on neighbors.

I would personally love something like that in my neighborhood though. lol

On that note, I'm also digging her style. Love that picture of her you posted. She seems to have a lot of love, happiness, and compassion in her heart.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Alot of people in the area via the comments on the link state they think she is crazy/deluded/Loopy.
Someone even said this:

Once we discovered, in the 19th century, that God did not exist you would have thought the mental illness that is religious mania would have quietly died out along with the belief in "God".

I do not personally think she is Any of those thing's, just a little eccentric maybe and there is no harm in that

If anything, Like i said before, She look's quite fun

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Once we discovered, in the 19th century, that God did not exist...

Oh, I feel so ignorant on that scientific study. I didn't know the existence of God had been debunked. lol

I'm always the last to know these things.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

When i read that comment on the link i must admit it made me laugh!

That's a whole new Thread

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Nobody should mind a smiley nun and to her credit she's got a lovely little garden.
I think it's just a great many people are weirded out by nun's in general, especially people of a certain pensionable age who remember just how ruthless they could be when put in charge of educating children.

My Dad still shudders at the very memory of a certain Sister Stanislaus, apparently she had the longest pockets in her habit known to man and could reach over and whack him with a ruler even if he was sitting at the back of the class.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   

My mum also told me stories about her experiences at a catholic boarding school she attended, Not very nice at all, She said she is quite happy to forget the experience altogether and did not talk about it that much.

top topics

join