It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think it's time for Religion to die.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Ilyich

I wrote a post you might be interested in:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I've written similar posts.

This is why I think religion and spiritualism (and other things similar) exist.

Please read it but I'll say that humanity wants a home that eclipses our mortal life.
edit on 1-8-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Catholsism was forced down my throat at a younger age. When I was eleven, I rebelled against religion all together. Nowadays days, I consider myself a Christian who prays in the closet so to speak. I am a Christian, but I don’t preach or shove it into people’s faces.

Some may call Christianity a bad thing, and that is your choice to do so, but have you taken into consideration the good that can come from it?

When I was a kid, you never heard about kids killing other kids. A lot of people these days have no morals whatsoever. Why do you think that is? From a very young age, I was taught that if I went out and killed someone, I would have to answer to someone for it. A lot of people these days think that they don’t have to answer to anyone for their wrong doings. Maybe if our younger generation had been brought up god fearing, a lot of the atrocities we see today could have been prevented.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite
reply to post by Ilyich

I wrote a post you might be interested in:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I've written similar posts.

This is why I think religion and spiritualism (and other things similar) exist.

Please read it but I'll say that humanity wants a home that eclipses our mortal life.
edit on 1-8-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

Thank you, Jonny. I will check it out, always looking for things to read! Thank you for stopping by, and reading my thread.

Hmm, very interesting post indeed. I can see the similarities between the posts as well. Thank you for contributing it. Man developed an extraordinary explanation for the ordinary, to deal with his fears and personality.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Propulsion
Catholsism was forced down my throat at a younger age. When I was eleven, I rebelled against religion all together. Nowadays days, I consider myself a Christian who prays in the closet so to speak. I am a Christian, but I don’t preach or shove it into people’s faces.

Some may call Christianity a bad thing, and that is your choice to do so, but have you taken into consideration the good that can come from it?

When I was a kid, you never heard about kids killing other kids. A lot of people these days have no morals whatsoever. Why do you think that is? From a very young age, I was taught that if I went out and killed someone, I would have to answer to someone for it. A lot of people these days think that they don’t have to answer to anyone for their wrong doings. Maybe if our younger generation had been brought up god fearing, a lot of the atrocities we see today could have been prevented.

I believe spirituality is very important, don't get me wrong. I can appreciate much of what many holy books teach, how ever I feel religion can be used to drive men apart, separate class, sex, or make one man feel superior to the next. I agree, there are a great many of people in the world who do not have morals, but this in itself is a different arguments, but I will elaborate.

The issue with man, is his superiority complex. He needs to feel important, to be in charge. He want others to love, take care of, entertain and to look up to him. Religion perpetuates the superior to one another duality. Some people are good, others are evil. Those who are religious feel they are good no matter what. They have god, he is on their side, and anyone who stands against them or religion is under the influence or works for Satan.

You have to look at the big picture, Spirituality used to be private. Men/women worshiped,prayed, practiced with in their homes, or in small groups. As societies grew, so did their beliefs and organized religion became some what, what it is today. How ever the issue, being what started out as morals to live by, and a tool to bring people together. Soon became a tool of control, manipulated by man. Holy books changed from love, trust cherish all, to love trust cherish god. God loves you if you obey, and love him unconditionally. Well of course, unless you are gay, lesbian, bisexual, don't believe in the religion, or want to follow everyone of the rules written down by man in some book. In fact if you don't follow the book to the exact words you are going to hell, and those who do not want to suffer the same fate should avoid these people, for they could bring you down with them.

These morals were taken and applied to politics, laws and society we have today. I simply feel the dualities began with the church, and they continue to promote the idea of the benefit of some, rather than all.

lost my train of thought sorry.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lone12
reply to post by Ilyich

You re entitled to your own opinion.

If you have indeed no single sensitivity for the spiritual - in this case God -

then i deeply, deeply, deeply pity you.

Deeply.

I deeply pity your ignorance, I have gone through great detail through out the thread, my appreciation for other beliefs, their spirituality and the importance of that. I how ever have grand issues with the way religion misleads the many.

Ask questions, this is all I'm trying to promote. As I myself am seeking answers.
edit on 8/2/2012 by Ilyich because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Ilyich

As for the title, Stalin agrees, 20 million times.

Having said that, I can't abide by such a concept. No matter how you slice it, a religion is going to form around whatever new agey accommodation that presents itself. What is it today? Oh yes, nanoterror is really the new God, and we're calling it nanotechnology to make it go over better.

Count me out. Anything that comes along that 'frees' us from religion will simply be every bit as deficient as santa in the sky. God made an unhackable program, or he wouldn't be God. There will always be mystery, and grace, sadly, since I don't care if you're manipulating energy in front of your webcam on YT, or if you're the real deal, like Tom Cruise, the ONLY ONE who can help an accident victim on the highway...you will fall without grace.

I believe this because I saw how every thing that I thought was bolstering me, my passions, my avocations, my books, magazines, everything~one day was turned against me, and I glimpsed how futile it was to rely on myself in terms of spirit. My very purest thoughts were suddenly like weapons used against me as my head split and I passed out from sheer pain. When I awoke, I was restored somehow...but I will never forget the news that morning, because the circle I dropped into, out of the complete blue, was like a level of hell. And the news reported news that was just down the road a few miles, and happening just when I was reeling. I thought rather that there was something being beamed through the sky, and it was seeking a place to go, and it was knocking on my door, but passed over a few miles, and did it's work. That I was spared the same fate seemed to have little to do with my personal spiritual powers. That much I am certain of. I wasn't expecting to awaken when I blacked out. What remains is a gift.

I truly loathe religion. It has damaged many persons, and caused their minds to cease wondering, about anything, since they are so sure they are saved. I have seen the abuse, and hope to escape from it, but I'd rather have quaint little customs which I'll never need to come near, than anything that replaces it from our technological refinements. It will die on it's own, because it has been perverted, and made into idolatry. But there will always be the unknown, and mystery, and reliance on 'faith', because in complicated, elevated realms, we know nothing, and it's so easy to fall.

edit on 2-8-2012 by davidmann because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by davidmann
reply to post by Ilyich

As for the title, Stalin agrees, 20 million times.

Having said that, I can't abide by such a concept. No matter how you slice it, a religion is going to form around whatever new agey accommodation that presents itself. What is it today? Oh yes, nanoterror is really the new God, and we're calling it nanotechnology to make it go over better.

Count me out. Anything that comes along that 'frees' us from religion will simply be every bit as deficient as santa in the sky. God made an unhackable program, or he wouldn't be God. There will always be mystery, and grace, sadly, since I don't care if you're manipulating energy in front of your webcam on YT, or if you're the real deal, like Tom Cruise, the ONLY ONE who can help an accident victim on the highway...you will fall without grace.

I believe this because I saw how every thing that I thought was bolstering me, my passions, my avocations, my books, magazines, everything~one day was turned against me, and I glimpsed how futile it was to rely on myself in terms of spirit. My very purest thoughts were suddenly like weapons used against me as my head split and I passed out from sheer pain. When I awoke, I was restored somehow...but I will never forget the news that morning, because the circle I dropped into, out of the complete blue, was like a level of hell. And the news reported news that was just down the road a few miles, and happening just when I was reeling. I thought rather that there was something being beamed through the sky, and it was seeking a place to go, and it was knocking on my door, but passed over a few miles, and did it's work. That I was spared the same fate seemed to have little to do with my personal spiritual powers. That much I am certain of. I wasn't expecting to awaken when I blacked out. What remains is a gift.

I truly loathe religion. It has damaged many persons, and caused their minds to cease wondering, about anything, since they are so sure they are saved. I have seen the abuse, and hope to escape from it, but I'd rather have quaint little customs which I'll never need to come near, than anything that replaces it from our technological refinements. It will die on it's own, because it has been perverted, and made into idolatry. But there will always be the unknown, and mystery, and reliance on 'faith', because in complicated, elevated realms, we know nothing, and it's so easy to fall.

edit on 2-8-2012 by davidmann
It because: (no reason given)

It's human nature to want to help others, find answers, and peace. I agree with some of what you said, and on the other hand I disagree with a bit. It is a losing battle to try to abolish the world of all religion, it is however the beginning of a new world to try to see, and understand all that we can.

I suppose that you're right, no matter what new belief comes about it will turn into religion and as a result suffer the same perversions and corruption.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ilyich
Otto!!! Thank you for joining the discussion, it's always good to see a familiar soul taking part.

My pleasure, this is an interesting discussion.

Very, very interesting though to ponder. I do not claim to have the answers as of yet, I am merely seeking, as I propose and incurage others to do themselves. As of this point, I believe we need to shift our beliefs to each other. This is an incredible task I know, and it in itself requires and incredible amount of faith, but I truly believe if we instilled the faith so many have in god, towards each other we would see enormous results.

Get out of my head, Ilyich! I'm always trying to tell people to put their time and efforts into loving their loved ones and bettering their communities!

I am well aware this very well may not be the answer, but I can not help but see the questions religion itself instills, and the turmoil these questions provoke. Many a men and woman have become very lost when they begin to question what they believe in, but I believe with my entire heart it is not until we begin to question that which we have been taught to be true, that we will begin to become closer to "god."

I do agree. I was just having a debate with some religious people a couple of weeks ago about this. By the end of the debate, they actually agreed with me: we have brains for a reason and there is nothing wrong with thinking about and examining those beliefs we've always held true just because someone told us they were true.

I feel like thinking and wondering and learning are what we are here for. It makes me feel like I'm suffocating to settle for beliefs I've never thought about before. I can't do it.

We were given free will for a reason, we learned to ask questions and seek answers for a reason. There is a solution to everything, no matter how absurd it may seem.

Much love, and thank you for participating. As you are aware, my situation has provided me with just what you asked. The journey of life provides us with plenty of opportunities to seek out, understand and conquer our fears. So if as you proposed religion is fear, would it not make sense to seek out, understand and conquer it?

I definitely think it makes perfect sense.

The only obstacle is fear.

It's probably an endless loop for some people: they feel the need to explore, but they are afraid to explore, so they just stagnate.

I believe the teachings of religion, the warmth, comfort, safety and humility it teaches can be had with out the dualities it promotes. It is time for us to take what was taught and leave the teachers behind, and prepare our future for what obstacles they may face. The teachings of old lack trust in man, and I believe this is absolutely necessary for our future generations.

I agree with you, but I would say a trust in the goodness of humanity. Because, we are inherently good. Some of us just don't know it yet.

I appreciate the thoughts you have put in my mind, and unfortunately I do not feel I or anyone else is truly prepared to answer all these questions at this moment in time, but I intend to do everything in my power to find out, as I would hope all of us do. The religions of past, though well intended have caused more seperation than unity, and I can only hope from this we can grow for a better tomorrow that will last for future generations.

I think you're right on target. I am glad that you took the time to write this, Ilyich, this is a great concept.
edit on 8/7/12 by ottobot because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Ilyich

Psychopaths and Sociopaths have long called for the death of religion, the death of moral standards. Because without religion, Psychopaths and Sociopaths think they can do what they want to do. History has shown that people like the OP, when left unchecked, will eventually try to butcher millions if not billions of people.

If you do not like religion, do not engage in it. This is why I think most (not all) atheist's and other "abolish religion" type people are psychopaths and sociopaths. People who feel that the world must bend to them, that they are right and everyone else is wrong. Complete and utter neurotic control freaks.

The tolerance of theist's for non theist's should end. Because by tolerating the non-theist's we only open the door for our own destruction as non theists have stated time and time again, they cannot stand our very existence and seek to destroy us.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by korathin
reply to post by Ilyich

Psychopaths and Sociopaths have long called for the death of religion, the death of moral standards. Because without religion, Psychopaths and Sociopaths think they can do what they want to do. History has shown that people like the OP, when left unchecked, will eventually try to butcher millions if not billions of people.

No offense but what I quoted from you cracked me up. I laughed so hard I cried.

How many wars have been fought in the name of religion by people? So, are you saying that people who have no religious base deserve to die? People who don't believe the same religion as you need to die? How about something simple like a person going against a religious thought? Should they all wear an arm band denoting they don't believe the same thing as you? "A Scarlet Letter?"

If you do not like religion, do not engage in it. This is why I think most (not all) atheist's and other "abolish religion" type people are psychopaths and sociopaths. People who feel that the world must bend to them, that they are right and everyone else is wrong. Complete and utter neurotic control freaks.

I take offense to you for your stance. Once again, how many wars have been waged in the name of religion?

By the way I am Christian, and think that everyone should be allowed to believe whatever they want to. I don't believe in forcing my religion on anybody. I think you are an intolerant, nutter, and if anything, I am afraid of the likes of you spewing your venom.

The tolerance of theist's for non theist's should end. Because by tolerating the non-theist's we only open the door for our own destruction as non theists have stated time and time again, they cannot stand our very existence and seek to destroy us.

Wow, you really think you deserve some sort of omnipotence, don't you?

Last time I checked as a Christian, tolerance of others was a must!

Lead by example, not your filthy spewage!!!!!!!!
edit on 9-8-2012 by Sulie because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join